#21 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:01 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 01 October 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

4SP is actually stupidly well quirked for torso durability. Also has the benefit of being symmetrical, meaning that if you lose one hunch, you're not out of the game, yet. The damage is a little anemic given the current fare, but it is a popular ride in CW 4v4 because it is so tanky against anyone who aims higher than the legs, the convergence on the two A-SRM6 is just magnificent, and it can carry more than enough flamers to near instantly heatlock your opponents.

Like I said, I sold my 4sp before the Quirkining, so I never had the opportunity to play with it when it was actually decent. The 4sp I remember was a sad squishy little medium mech who didn't have structure quirks and didn't pack enough punch to make up for its lack of survivability.

#22 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,590 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:07 AM

View PostKimberm1911, on 28 September 2016 - 06:40 PM, said:

The Griffins are great, and so are the centurions. The Poor Hunchback actually feels a bit anemic with only the auto cannon and a few mediums. At least, compared to the 4 SRM 6 griffins and the AC 20/ 3 SRM 4 Centurions.

Hunch 4 sp. 2x srm6+ A 260 std, 4 med laser 91km/h in the hands of a good pilot still a viable buddy in fights, love that hunchy <3 4SP Posted Image otfen dancing with Crows with that Hunchy and looove it.

Edited by Mighty Spike, 02 October 2016 - 02:16 AM.

#23 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:32 PM

Pulse Crabs or splat Griffin-2Ns are good.

Are you asking if Shadowhawks are still good? Your described loadout seems heavy for that weight class.

#24 Slyphie

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:03 AM

Shadowcat with 3xSRM6+A, 2XERSLAS ECM.

fast enough to chase down lights and attack them assaults from the rear.

#25 Davy J0nes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:10 AM

treb 7m no really the treb 7m with the - heat and missile quirks the thing tears mechs apart.

While they need to cool down it keeps on firing.

Edited by Davy J0nes, 03 October 2016 - 06:13 AM.

#26 Jon McFuzzy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:19 AM

My Med Brawlers:

[4 x SRM6-A] GRF-2N
[3 x SRM6 + 3 MPL] SHD-2K
[4 x SRM4 + 1 AC10] SHD-2D2

Cicada X5, 2A, and 2B

#27 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:39 AM

View PostKimberm1911, on 01 October 2016 - 11:01 PM, said:

Like I said, I sold my 4sp before the Quirkining, so I never had the opportunity to play with it when it was actually decent. The 4sp I remember was a sad squishy little medium mech who didn't have structure quirks and didn't pack enough punch to make up for its lack of survivability.

Its still squishy. It has structure quirks that only allow you to run around weaponless for a while. You typically lose your srms before an ST goes pop.

#28 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:02 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 30 September 2016 - 04:16 PM, said:

Kimberm and Hotthedd (and anyone else), thoughts on other Hunchies or Shadow Hawks?

I still love my 4G... It was my first mech so there's a nostalgic factor but it also suits my playstyle very well and it just feels comfy to pilot. Despite rarely putting out huge damage numbers I always feel like I'm tearing components/limbs off mechs and generally secure a lot of kills. It may not put out 48+ damage alphas like some of the other IS mediums but the pinpoint AC20 is really dangerous if you can put the shells where you want.

#29 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:20 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 30 September 2016 - 07:57 AM, said:

Because most of the other brawlers have reliable means of reach out passed 300m.

Ah no.

That is a skirmisher. You can't build a mech to do closing damage at 600m and expect it to also brawl well, it just doesn't happen. You might do some damage over 300m with lasers or some AC weapons, but generally it's very little.

I'm a brawler, that is my play style. If you can't close to full brawl distance then you need to position better. Only map you can't really is Polar, it's totally situational there.

View PostPariah Devalis, on 01 October 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

4SP is actually stupidly well quirked for torso durability. Also has the benefit of being symmetrical, meaning that if you lose one hunch, you're not out of the game, yet. The damage is a little anemic given the current fare, but it is a popular ride in CW 4v4 because it is so tanky against anyone who aims higher than the legs, the convergence on the two A-SRM6 is just magnificent, and it can carry more than enough flamers to near instantly heatlock your opponents.

Spot on man, spot on. The mech basically does nothing outside of 300m, as it's a brawler. Given brawling is essentially classified as "under 300m".

And in a brawl, it's excellent. Very tanky and can still dish out decent damage, moves nice and quick and no reliance on IS XL engine. The amount of times I have got a 4SP to under 20% is crazy.

#30 Froschkoenig

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:09 AM

I always thought that the biggest challenge for a brawler was, y'know, getting into brawl range without taking too much damage. That's more pilot skill than anything else, isn't it?

Edited by Froschkoenig, 05 October 2016 - 10:10 AM.

#31 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:15 PM

View PostFroschkoenig, on 05 October 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

I always thought that the biggest challenge for a brawler was, y'know, getting into brawl range without taking too much damage. That's more pilot skill than anything else, isn't it?

That's pretty accurate. Some mechs, like the Centurion, do it better since they literally have a shield arm that you can just point towards the enemy and not care about incoming fire while you close, but others like some Shadow Hawks and the Hunchbacks can't really do that. I've found the best way to get into a brawl relatively safely is to stay near your longer ranged mechs during the initial pokefest and wait for either a flank to open or a heavy/assault to start pushing, then use them as cover to get in close and add my firepower to theirs.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 05 October 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

Ah no.

That is a skirmisher. You can't build a mech to do closing damage at 600m and expect it to also brawl well, it just doesn't happen. You might do some damage over 300m with lasers or some AC weapons, but generally it's very little.

I'm a brawler, that is my play style. If you can't close to full brawl distance then you need to position better. Only map you can't really is Polar, it's totally situational there.

That's not entirely true for all chassis. I have a CN9-AL fitted out as a skirmisher, but it can switch to brawling when the situation demands it. It's all about the range you determine as skirmishing, which I feel like if it's outside of 540 meters you're sniping. Running my AL with an LL, 3 ML, and 2 SRM4s on an STD265 I can put out respectable amounts of hurt at most ranges and the nice spread of potential engagement ranges means you're rarely having to sit there and be unable to retaliate while you're waiting for the optimal moment to enter the brawl. It's really only limited by the relative lack of SRM ammo. Then again, it's a Centurion and that thing can take on 3 enemies at once and not give a single **** until you're missing 90% of your mech. My GRF-2N on the other hand can't be fitted like that, so it runs 4 srm4s and 2 MPL. It CAN skirmish at closer ranges, but it's a jump brawler at its core and doesn't really perform well outside of 270 meters.

#32 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:34 PM

The Griffin 2N is doing very well by me for the event. The only down side to the machine is that you need to get close enough to practically hug the enemy with your SRMs. Still, nothing more fun than jumping around a assault mech while hitting it with 16 SRMs at a time.

Note that I usually have better games with the Sparky but it's not getting me the KMDD for the event like the 2N.

#33 Nerd Incognito

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:10 AM

View PostSteel Raven, on 05 October 2016 - 10:34 PM, said:

The Griffin 2N is doing very well by me for the event. The only down side to the machine is that you need to get close enough to practically hug the enemy with your SRMs. Still, nothing more fun than jumping around a assault mech while hitting it with 16 SRMs at a time.

Note that I usually have better games with the Sparky but it's not getting me the KMDD for the event like the 2N.

Ditto. My favourite mech is my TBR with 4xSRM6Art and CUAC10; I love my Griffin 2N with 4xSRM6Art for the same reason. From what I understand, the 4xSRM4 is nearly as effective. I just didn't own a larger engine to swap in, so I used what I had and had room for the SRM6s. It definitely moves slower than I'd like, though.

#34 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:12 AM

View PostFroschkoenig, on 05 October 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

Its actually a balancing and map design issue.

#35 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:34 PM

Has anyone tried using the Kintaro? I know it's basically a Griffin without jump jets, but I've been having loads of fun with my KTO-18. 4 SRM4s and 3 MPLs on an XL300 work very well, and the CT is actually pretty tough when you leave the missile bay doors shut.

View PostVulcan500rider, on 06 October 2016 - 07:10 AM, said:

Ditto. My favourite mech is my TBR with 4xSRM6Art and CUAC10; I love my Griffin 2N with 4xSRM6Art for the same reason. From what I understand, the 4xSRM4 is nearly as effective. I just didn't own a larger engine to swap in, so I used what I had and had room for the SRM6s. It definitely moves slower than I'd like, though.

Try an XL300 on your 2N. I run mine with 2 MPL and 4 SRM4s and, while it can't fit Artemis, it's still a strong build and it's pretty heat efficient.

#36 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:08 AM

View PostSidefire, on 07 October 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

Has anyone tried using the Kintaro? I know it's basically a Griffin without jump jets, but I've been having loads of fun with my KTO-18. 4 SRM4s and 3 MPLs on an XL300 work very well, and the CT is actually pretty tough when you leave the missile bay doors shut.

On flat ground, the KTO-18 can brawl with the best. I run 4x SRM6+A, 1x SRM4+A, XL300.

The Huntsman is going to be the medium brawling king, on paper.

#37 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:41 AM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 08 October 2016 - 09:08 AM, said:

On flat ground, the KTO-18 can brawl with the best. I run 4x SRM6+A, 1x SRM4+A, XL300.

The Huntsman is going to be the medium brawling king, on paper.

*missile brawler. Nova is still going to be scary as hell with 10-12 smaller lasers, however.

#38 Nerd Incognito

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:32 PM

View PostSidefire, on 07 October 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

Try an XL300 on your 2N. I run mine with 2 MPL and 4 SRM4s and, while it can't fit Artemis, it's still a strong build and it's pretty heat efficient.

I don't usually bother with Artemis on SRM4s, anyway. As I said, my choice was really more about what I had handy for an engine. They're so damned expensive, and there are always more mechs that I want to try out :)

#39 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:57 PM

Wolverine 7K
I had all the others until last week when i got the 7K and it is really good as a close range mech. 1x LPL, 2x ML, 3x SRM6, XL 275 and 5 JJ. Great for popping up from below edges ( HPG and Mining are good for this) and hammering whoever you see. Lasers for a little range. Wit modules and quirks you get 324m range on the SRMs which is nice.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8861c5d56233536

Otherwise i would go Enforcer 4P, lots of structure buffs but no JJ. with a STD 250 you can still fit 4x ML and a AC/20 and it tanks quite well.

#40 bar10jim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:50 PM

While the standard Ballistic Hunchie runs an AC20, I prefer to run an AC10. Usually you run the AC10 in the -4H, but you can run it in the -4G. Try it out and see if it works for you. You get 60 AC shots vs 21, and 5 mLas vs. 3.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users