• Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:19 AM

Hey Mates!

First my Hardware:

CPU: i7-3770k (Hyperthreading off) with better CPU Fan, Overclocked to 4Ghz
GPU: Zotac GTX 980 Ti AMP Omega Edition 6GB DDR5
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
RAM: 8GB Team Volcan 1600 + 8GB Kingston HyperBeast XMP 1600 (Dual-Channel)
HDD: 1TB Western Digital Blue Series + 60GB mSATA SSD (MWO installed at the HDD, SSD only for OS)
PSU: 650W Corsair (lifetime warranty)

Befor i bought the 980 Ti i had a GTX 770 Jetstream 2GB.

Video Settings:
GTX 770 Setup (from 2014 to March 2016)
1920x1080
Full Window
DirectX 11
Motion Blur OFF
V-Sync ON
Damage Glow OFF

Effects VERY HIGH
Object Detail VERY HIGH
Particles VERY HIGH
Post Processing VERY HIGH
Shading VERY HIGH
Shadows LOW
Texturing LOW
Enviroment MEDIUM
Anti Aliasing FXAA
Cockpit Glass is disabled

At Faction Warfare i had at all Maps around 45 up to 60FPS. So it was allways very fine. But i wanted more.
So i bought the GTX 980 Ti.

GTX 980 Ti 6GB Settings:
1920x1080
Full Window
DirectX 11
Motion Blur OFF
V-Sync ON
Damage Glow OFF

Effects VERY HIGH
Object Detail VERY HIGH
Particles VERY HIGH
Post Processing VERY HIGH
Shading VERY HIGH
Shadows LOW
Texturing LOW
Enviroment MEDIUM
Anti Aliasing FXAA
Cockpit Glass is DISABLED

I didn't change anything, but have lower FPS now. I have around 30 - 60FPS at Faction Warfare. If i dropped out of dropship, at Sulfourus Rift, i have 29 FPS(!). It reaches 60FPS only if i look at a wall with no one in my line of sight.

I deinstalled the Nvidia Driver, deinstalled everything from nvidia experience and installed the Setup fresh-from-page. Nothing changed at MWO.
I used the MWO Repair Tool, nothing changed.
I even tried to change the anti aliasing from FXAA to MXAA to TXAA (gets only worse.
I watched GPU-Z on my second screen (if i play) and my 980 Ti never hits 100%. At MWO it's around 70%. Temperatur around 61° - 65°.
I set the Shadows and Texturing to HIGH...
HOLY SH*T!!!
I have around 15 - 50FPS.

How is it possible that i have lower FPS with a better Graphic card?Posted Image
Any ideas? Did i miss something?Posted Image

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:13 AM

Control Panel, Power Options, set to High Performance
Nvidia Control Panel, Power Management, change from adaptive to Max Performance. You can make a profile for MWO to set this too.

Turn off Vsync. Run game w/monitoring software, noting highs, average. Create user.cfg and add the following command line: sys_MaxFps = 60 and place it in your MWO folder. Change the 60 to a more appropriate number.

Crank CPU OC to at least 4.2ghz

For testing, turn off AA.

Run Repair Tool to clean out the shaders.

Edit, run software to monitor CPU and GPU speeds.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 29 September 2016 - 04:21 AM.

#3 MadC4t

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:31 AM

@Tarl Cabot:
First is already done ;) i use the PC also for video editing.
Nvidia is set to max performance.

CPU is already around 500mhz higher than usual. Will not oc higher.

With V-Sync the game runs smoother, without the frame drops are higher.

Will try to turn AA off.

I use Speccy (for temperatur) and Zotac's Firestorm Software for GPU.

Thank you :)

#4 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:18 PM

Some people have reported that the latest windows 10 updates have hurt FPS because a setting(?) got messed up or something. I would consider looking into that or possibly upgrading to windows 7 :P

#5 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:32 PM

Uninstall the driver with DDU, then reinstall.

Kill the games' shader cache, and the drivers' cache, too.

Bump your framerate limit to 2 past your monitors' refresh; Set your V-sync off in game, and Adaptive/ FastSync in the driver.

#6 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:26 AM

View PostMadC4t, on 29 September 2016 - 03:19 AM, said:

How is it possible that i have lower FPS with a better Graphic card?

because of the way the technology has evolved, past what was envisioned when the engine was designed ....

your newer NVidia card has more 'cuda cores' .... that's the new primary reference to their 'power' .... but ... the game were playing ... doesn't use 'cuda' programming .... its kind of like putting a supercharger on a car, but still having the same speed limit ... you've got this 'potential' that just isn't translating to putting power down on the racetrack ...

if you want to see this analogy in action, check your GPU load on the testing grounds .... it should hit and stick 97%+ ... and generally should get higher, as players die off in a match, but probably only hit 100%, after everyone has died ... and the variables are fixed ....

essentially, 'threads' in the gpu 'cores' are not doing enough 'work', for long enough periods of time ... sorry for the NVidia jargon ... but the problem is not just mwo specific ... early cuda code ( poorly written cuda coda ) tends to be unable to fill out newer generation gpu's also ....

#7 MadC4t

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:34 AM

Maybe a bit late,

I put AA off and the game runs nearly at 60FPS. Just sometimes (in the worst moments, like a 1v1 Duell in FW) i have still massive framedrops. But most times it's good for now.
I increased Enviroment to Max now.

Thanks for all the tipps :)

#8 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:37 PM

Bored looking around in the forums. This is crazy late but wanted to say something.

Better to overclock your CPU early in it's life cycle than later. I've been running an i-7 3770k at 4.2ghz for 5 years now. On a stock fan. Don't forget to overclock your GPU as well. It's easy these days, I use ASUS GPU tweak. Look online and see what numbers other people are using, input those and see if your computer runs stable after 10 minutes. If so you're in luck.

#9 Dar1ng One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 227 posts
  • LocationArena Contender Royal

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:23 AM

View PostNASTA BAIT, on 01 October 2016 - 07:26 AM, said:

The way the technology has evolved, past what was envisioned when the MWO game engine was designed.

Your more recent NVidia card has more 'cuda cores', but is not effectively utilized to its full potential due to MWO game engine coding.

FTFY

Mmmmmmmm.....yes

Also, try a Radeon, theyre great.

Mech-Cellent!

#10 technopredator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

According to a game developer I met online, the most GPU consuming calculations are shadows, so get them at medium, but having them and minimum already, is just that CryEngine is a bad game engine, that's the "bug" in this game and should be replaced by Unreal Game Engine, or another that supports modern APIs from AMD and Nvidia, this is clear evidence that only a screwed up game engine could have this reverse results, there is another thread about an even better GPU, the Titan X, which is "not supported" LOL.

Check your driver config, I would go with the Anti-Alias(AA), make sure the Driver and MWO have the same AA, or try to disable on both to see what happens, AA is very GPU consuming, according to another game dev. FXAA is the lightest version.

You could go to the Driver config and set it to the lowest and then upgrade the setting individually and see that works and what doesn't with small steps at the time, it's a pain in the *** I know, but that's what you have to do, because PGI uses this horrible engine that's pretty much unaware of video card capabilities probably, or they just don't make a thorough job, and just don't detect them well enough use some configuration that doesn't work well and with the driver configured GPU and well you have the results you get.

You could use another Nvidia card or 2 on SLI, and yes AMD Radeon cards are great, RX 480 for performance or RX 460 for ecoomy, put 2 of any of them in Crossfire or wait for AMD Vega this half year to pair it with the recently released AMD Ryzen CPUs, but all falls short because of the unawareness of the CryEnginehow to handle the features in video cards across multiple generations of GPUs

Important thing to have in mind: DirectX 12 uses multi-threaded GPU tasks which AMD GPUs take advantage of, specially with upcoming Vega GPUs which has been designed this way for better rendering performance.

Edited by technopredator, 05 March 2017 - 10:58 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users