Ed Penalties Should Scale With Heat Not Damage

3 replies to this topic

#1 Calbearpig

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:06 PM

The current penalty system for going over energy is moronic. It is based solely on the damage of the weapon with no consideration for the heat output of the weapon. This disproportionately nerfs ballistic builds, which are purposely constructed to lower heat generation at the expense of tonnage. I don't agree with a system that has one set of characteristics under one condition (below ED cap) and a completely different one under another (exceeding the energy cap). This does not simplify the game. It makes it more convoluted and irritating.

Case in point: my clan UAC-5s generate 1 point per shot. As soon as I vomit enough rounds to exceed my ED cap (which is very easy, whereas I would NEVER overheat on public firing C-UAC-5s alone) I am incurring 3.5 heat per shot. So my heat generation after hitting ED cap is 350% of my heat generation before and decreased my DPH from 5.0 to 1.42, less than a third of the original. So now my C-UAC-5 has about 20% more DPH than a C-ER-MED but is 7 times the tonnage. ED penalties DISPROPORTIONATELY punish high DPH builds relative to laser boats. This is even worse when you factor in tonnage for ammo, so now dakka builds will need to cart heat sinks on top of ammo.

If I boat C-ER-MED, each shot above ED will cost 9.5 heat as opposed to 6, 153% of the original (compared to 350%). This causes my DPH to drop from 1.17 to 0.63, still over half of the original value. Note that a heat penalized C-UAC-5 is about 2.25 x better than a heat penalized C-ER-MED, but it still weighs 7 TIMES AS MUCH)

What would have made a lot more sense in my opinion is adding 50 - 100% of the HEAT value as a penalty instead of the damage, so that DPH trends remain consistent regardless of ED penalties. This blatant move to punish DPS at all costs ruins the balance between weapon types and disproportionately punishes high tonnage, high damage, low heat ballistic builds.

Edited by Calbearpig, 30 September 2016 - 04:08 PM.

#2 Calbearpig

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:10 PM

Edit: The math was done with the live heat values for C-ER-MED and C-UAC-5 instead of the PTS ones but the general idea stays the same. A heat penalized C-UAC-5 does 5 damage for 4 heat, DPH 3.33 -> 1.25, so just over a third but well under a half.

Edited by Calbearpig, 30 September 2016 - 04:13 PM.

#3 Calbearpig

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:16 PM

On a related note: if the goal of ED was to nerf ALPHA, why did they nerf some of the ballistic autocannons by increasing heat and cooldown? This basically proves this mess is just degenerating into a spiral of nerfing that applies to sustained DPS as well as alphas.

#4 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:45 PM

View PostCalbearpig, on 30 September 2016 - 04:16 PM, said:

On a related note: if the goal of ED was to nerf ALPHA, why did they nerf some of the ballistic autocannons by increasing heat and cooldown? This basically proves this mess is just degenerating into a spiral of nerfing that applies to sustained DPS as well as alphas.

Nerf is not really a valid term when we are really changing a system to rein in damage. Everything should be doing less.

As far as cannons, ClanUacs are the problem, but they have increased cooldown in many areas and uacs got hit hard in clearing the jam. Honestly 1 ton for double damage even with current jam is still pretty good if you relocate with each jam.

In 12 man we do not know if the longer cooldowns and the new system will translate into an easier transition through the ranges and a higher ttk, because folks like epeen damage and folks want someone else to do the hard work up front while they scam damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users