#1 lazytopaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 316 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:21 AM

Posted Image

I hope the picture is not too big or too fat for the viewers here.

Anyway, let's go.

On the left we have concept art for Centurion.
On the right we have current state (well at least some legendary/champion/whatever version that I've googled out ... has nicer looking shield. I want that one. how can I get it?)

We've recently had re-scale sweep across various mech variants and re-size that went along with it.

Could someone explain to me why current centurion is so fat compared to the slim and bad a$$ looking concept?

Few key observations. In-game/current centurion has :
Torsos and CT are way fatter then they look/feel they should be from concept. Whole torso is narrower and triangled with pointier kind of way.
Belt and waist location is just a place for a McDonalds advertisement sticker "we be McFat".
Same goes for thighs.

Both arms where it connects to shoulder are slimmer too.
I've googled out a picture of someone editing it to look properly. Kudos to that person.

(left current, right desired/proper resize)
Posted Image

Opinions? Thoughts?
Any fellow centurion fans out there that are with me on that?

Edited by lazytopaz, 07 October 2016 - 02:22 AM.

#2 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:23 AM

I am with you. This should be done.

And also, look at those fugly Lego missile launchers. I swear to God, it's the #1 reason why I don't play any of my Centurions anymore, other than the Yen Lo Wang, which I play regularly. Those launchers are just too ugly. I can feel everyone looking at me, and laughing. Laughing at my ugly missile launchers.

#3 bLeeat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 371 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:25 AM

one is just a drawing ? the other is made to fit a balance?

#4 Wolf Ender

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:42 AM

I think the Centurion is balanced and still looks really badass in its current implementation. I do not see an urgent need to "fix" the Centy when there are other mechs out there that need attention (buff or nerf) more. Centy is still my fav chassis and the only mech I have every variant of.

#5 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:43 AM

View PostbLeeat, on 07 October 2016 - 02:25 AM, said:

one is just a drawing ? the other is made to fit a balance?

Why would "balance" have anything to do with the way the mech looks?

I agree with OP.
Centurion NEEDS to be slimmed down (Koniving's picture below is a perfect representation of what i want it to look like, proportion-wise),
Posted Image
it also needs its horrendous dynamic geometry scrapped and re-done COMPLETELY.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 07 October 2016 - 02:45 AM.

#6 bLeeat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 371 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:45 AM

the way a mech looks has everything to do with balance. its called hit boxes....

#7 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:50 AM

It's so funny to see people try to argue that the Centurion looks the way it does because balance. Yep, balance is totally what they had in mind in 2011 and 2012. That's why the Catapult was originally the same size as a Stalker.

Because balance.

#8 bLeeat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 371 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:53 AM

View PostTristan Winter, on 07 October 2016 - 02:50 AM, said:

It's so funny to see people try to argue that the Centurion looks the way it does because balance. Yep, balance is totally what they had in mind in 2011 and 2012. That's why the Catapult was originally the same size as a Stalker.

Because balance.

so you dont think changing a mechs hit boxes effect's balance?

2011? wasnt that open beta?

Edited by bLeeat, 07 October 2016 - 02:56 AM.

#9 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:58 AM

View PostbLeeat, on 07 October 2016 - 02:53 AM, said:

so you dont think changing a mechs hit boxes effect's balance?

2011? wasnt that open beta?

Making it 5% thinner, won't make the ******* Centurion into a bloody Stormcrow.
Besides, if it gets thinner, it will probably become slightly taller as well (you know, the whole VOLUME thing).

How the **** does that break your balance? Centurions aren't the epitome of medium mechs, they're not even the best 50 tonners.

#10 bLeeat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 371 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:04 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 07 October 2016 - 02:58 AM, said:

Making it 5% thinner, won't make the ******* Centurion into a bloody Stormcrow.
Besides, if it gets thinner, it will probably become slightly taller as well (you know, the whole VOLUME thing).

How the **** does that break your balance? Centurions aren't the epitome of medium mechs, they're not even the best 50 tonners.

you just talking theory , calm down....answer my one question please ... does changing a mech's hit box effect balnace yes or no?

View PostbLeeat, on 07 October 2016 - 03:03 AM, said:

you just talking theory , calm down....answer my one question please ... does changing a mech's hit box effect balnace yes or no?

cents are the best when i play them ... ask mcgral

#11 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:08 AM

See the Dragon and the Catapult for about the only real precedent here. But those are good precedents. The Cent is certainly a candidate for this kind of a rework.

It isn't just about scale...it certainly isn't about "balance" or hit boxes. Its about shape, and symmetry... and by god I will say it: stompy robot aesthetics. If this game was about balance all mechs would be equally viable and if you think a Victor is as equally viable as a Kodiak-3 or even a Warhammer, I got a bridge in Brooklyn that I would love to sell you. Nope. Its about looking sharp

PGI has made it clear that the only content that they are interested in making is more mechs. So they should at least have the decency to provide mechs that look good. I like Centurions, but giving us a Cent that looks like, well...a centurion...rather than an armored sumo wrestler with lego bricks on its lapel, would be a good thing.

Edit, now that I mention it...please give the Victor a new art pass too especially if you refuse to "balance"...at least then I can look good while dying.

Edited by Bud Crue, 07 October 2016 - 03:11 AM.

#12 bLeeat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 371 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:10 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 07 October 2016 - 03:08 AM, said:

See the Dragon and the Catapult for about the only real precedent here. But those are good precedents. The Cent is certainly a candidate for this kind of a rework.

It isn't just about scale...it certainly isn't about "balance" or hit boxes. Its about shape, and symmetry... and by god I will say it: stompy robot aesthetics. If this game was about balance all mechs would be equally viable and if you think a Victor is as equally viable as a Kodiak-3 or even a Warhammer, I got a bridge in Brooklyn that I would love to sell you. Nope. Its about looking sharp

PGI has made it clear that the only content that they are interested in making is more mechs. So they should at least have the decency to provide mechs that look good. I like Centurions, but giving us a Cent that looks like, well...a centurion...rather than an armored sumo wrestler with lego bricks on its lapel, would be a good thing.

is this the cancer of mwo? doesnt care about balance or content , just cares about how mechs look?

#13 Wolf Ender

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:14 AM

you guys can argue about balance or not whatever

but if you just take it on aesthetics alone, I think the centurion looks better now than if it was a bit thinner and taller. it looks unique and the wide set arms look menacing. If you want a taller and thinner 50 tonner, the Trebuchet and Enforcer both fit the bill.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

#14 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:15 AM

View PostbLeeat, on 07 October 2016 - 03:10 AM, said:

is this the cancer of mwo? doesnt care about balance or content , just cares about how mechs look?

It is what we have been brought to. PGI refuses to balance. They do keep making mechs though and they hav eprecedent for art passes. So we work with what we have.

Or are you seriously suggesting that the Kodiak is just as playable as a Vindicator? Really they are balanced? How about just within the class: Is the Kodiak balanced relative to a Zeus? How about even just a Dire?

Everyone tells me the game is not balanced nor should it be. Fine. Make my mechs look good if we can't have balance.

#15 bLeeat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 371 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:17 AM

View PostWolf Ender, on 07 October 2016 - 03:14 AM, said:

but if you just take it on aesthetics alone, I think the centurion looks better now than if it was a bit thinner and taller. it looks unique and the wide set arms look menacing. If you want a taller and thinner 50 tonner, the Trebuchet and Enforcer both fit the bill.

if i want a thinner taller whatever cent i just place a cent cockpit item in my mech buhahah

#16 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:17 AM

View PostWolf Ender, on 07 October 2016 - 03:14 AM, said:

Bah! Your subjective view vs my subjective view! My skinnier Cent ideal is better! Posted Image

#17 bLeeat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 371 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:19 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 07 October 2016 - 03:15 AM, said:

It is what we have been brought to. PGI refuses to balance. They do keep making mechs though and they hav eprecedent for art passes. So we work with what we have.

Or are you seriously suggesting that the Kodiak is just as playable as a Vindicator? Really they are balanced? How about just within the class: Is the Kodiak balanced relative to a Zeus? How about even just a Dire?

Everyone tells me the game is not balanced nor should it be. Fine. Make my mechs look good if we can't have balance.

who even brought up the kodiak or the vindicator in this thread?

#18 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:24 AM

View PostbLeeat, on 07 October 2016 - 03:19 AM, said:

who even brought up the kodiak or the vindicator in this thread?

You did. As soon as you suggested that "balance" is an issue. I am mentioning them in contrast as a clear representation of the utter LACK of balance that you seem to be asserting exists or is a concern regarding the Cent's appearance.
There is no balance. All mechs are not created equal. There is a best mech, and then there are others. As such, give me a reason to play some other mech than the best mech. That reason might just be aesthetics.

#19 bLeeat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 371 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:27 AM

i did? please quote me when i mention'd a kodiak or/and vinicator in this thread.

so when i mention balance , you just start to randomly comparing mediums with assaults?

#20 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:32 AM

View PostbLeeat, on 07 October 2016 - 03:27 AM, said:

i did? please quote me when i mention'd a kodiak or/and vinicator in this thread.

so when i mention balance , you just start to randomly comparing mediums with assaults?

Lets start at the beginning. What is "balance" as you define it, and use it above? What did you mean AND what was your concern when you said changing a mechs appearance would affect balance? What is this balance that you speak of?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users