29 replies to this topic

#1 Xozia

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:44 AM

Hey all, I have been thinking, over the course of the World Championship, that there's not enough publicity. I specifically noticed this when there was no announcement for the move from regional qualifiers to regional finals. I feel like there should at least be like a monthy update in the news feed and something else to advertize the move to regional finals. Those are my two cents, what does everyone else think? How could we improve the publicity for the tournament?

#2 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:27 AM

Minimally Viable Publicity?

#3 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:38 AM

Like the effort put into the rules of the tourney, pretty noone outside of MRBC/NGNG/whatever MWO community connection honestly knows or gives a damn about an easily mockable tourney (not to say that the players are bad, it's that everything else related to it is a joke or a secret).

#4 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:04 PM

That has been a major problem since the beginning, there should be links to various castings of it right there on the front page with some sort of current status information listed, but we have nothing. We have hit the regional stage and there is virtually no information outside those actually involved and reddit posts.

#5 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:59 PM

Come on PGI this would be a great way to bring in more members, Old members and New members.

Posts on your own website, Facebook and twitter can help, but also hire some adds.

The finals for OC, people posting up on the stream saying i did not even know this was on, someone just message me in game to have a look.

heaps of time and money is going into this, lets get the word out.

Edited by live1991, 10 October 2016 - 02:00 PM.

#6 Nothar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 123 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:33 PM

Once the round robins where wraped up the MWOC webpage needed to be updated. With a bracket, watch times, countdown to the next up coming match, consider highlight reel now that stage 1 of AP finals are done link the AP stream. Also mass social media bombardment, tina/russ/pgi/ngng twitter/facebook feeds lighting up with excitement. I tip my hat to Bandit taking on all this streaming what a legend.

There has been no tournament trailer! <--- DA FAQ
A master piece should have been dropped in late may to induce hype.

#7 QueenBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 710 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:51 PM

It truly is another "dropped ball" moment on the competitive scene. Thankfully MRBC didn't drop a beat and thanks to their ability to contact teams and spread word of mouth, they once again achieved another record of teams playing in Season 8.

Just take a look at the LCS World Group play that happened this weekend. It was every where. I was watching it while I waited for matches in MWO.

It just keeps happening though.

First Engagement Tourney - little coverage, lack luster rule set (rules updated as the tourney played out)
First Invitational Tourney - no organized teams, players randomly assigned to play together
MWO World Championships - Teams left with little to no communication, taking it upon themselves to get tourney done and to keep the community informed

Even the very first MWO tourney had more media coverage which wasn't held by PGI but rather Nvidia. http://www.geforce.c...nt-at-nvidia-hq

#8 DoctorDetroit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 483 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:56 PM

It has been beyond sad. I mean it was kind of pathetic when they didnt do more to promote player sponsored tournaments like mrbc, rhod, etc. Not promoting your own tournament, that is just confusing.

#9 Nothar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 123 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:52 PM

Surely there is someone as motivated as myself to update this MWOC web portal! surely its been talked about? anyways i can certainly give a free pass on the oceanic side of things because we're on the other side of the planet and no doubt schedules can't be trusted as Aussies can't be trusted haha! But i hope the NA and EURO gets the glam and glitter treatment. A lot of us were in turmoil last night leading into the games, but if oceanic region can stick to Bandits dates then NA,EURO AND PGI have no excuses. Please embrace the chaos, we have all come to far to half arse it now! The coming sunday will be oceanic finals everyone is 100% locked into the dates.

#10 1 21 Giggawatts

• PipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:05 PM

If it wasnt for community engagement this tournament would have fallen on it's bahookie!

Now i understand that Paul is not available at the moment but surely someone at PGI can cover for him and is driving this thing?

At least let your playerbase know about it! Otherwise as far as PGI is concerned its going to be a big waste of time and money. I mean we have had fun partaking - thats cool and all, but surely the point of it is to raise the games profile and attract new players?

Anyhoo, good matches last night, looking forward to more to come on Sunday!

#11 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:46 PM

Mechwarrior as a game caters to exactly two main groups:

-- Battletech Fans

-- Fans of the old Mechwarrior games

Its a specific fan group centered niche product that made the fault to try to cater to casual and comp shooter cronys dissatisfying all groups that are targeted by doing fishy compromises and an acute lack of content.

PPL play Mechwarrior because its Mechwarrior or because its the only finished close enough to Battletech game on the market.
So....exactly where should the popularity/publicity come from ?
There is no other public to show this to.

#12 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:41 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 10 October 2016 - 11:46 PM, said:

Its a specific fan group centered niche product that made the fault to try to cater to casual and comp shooter cronys dissatisfying all groups that are targeted by doing fishy compromises and an acute lack of content.

PPL play Mechwarrior because its Mechwarrior or because its the only finished close enough to Battletech game on the market.
So....exactly where should the popularity/publicity come from ?
There is no other public to show this to.

I do not care about the lore or battle tech, I play this game for the big stopping robots in a FPS feel.

Do not limit this game to battletech fans or lore nuts as you will be killing off a nice % of players who got into this game not caring about battletech and stayed due to the mates they formed playing in a unit.

Heaps of players I know are in the same boat, since starting this comp and MRBC we have had many new faces pop in and asking to give it a shot.

PGI is here to make money, the best way to get make money is to have more people playing the game.

You might get more whales or new people for your old whales to shoot, which keeps everyone happy, but not capitalising at all stages of this comp, the 100K investment could have been better managed with more community engagement and promoting this outside normal normal channels. ( Or in this case, any channels)

In the end, we love to play this game and we would love to share it with new and old players

Edited by live1991, 11 October 2016 - 12:52 AM.

#13 MattEdge

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 61 posts
  • LocationAsuncion

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:31 AM

Regional finals should be announced on the in-game splash screen.

I saw something for OC finals after the fact on Reddit, haven't seen anything for NA or EU yet... I know NA is scheduled.

But no actual official word on these not even if you visit the website? .... :(

#14 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:36 AM

View Postlive1991, on 11 October 2016 - 12:41 AM, said:

I do not care about the lore or battle tech, I play this game for the big stopping robots in a FPS feel.

Do not limit this game to battletech fans or lore nuts as you will be killing off a nice % of players who got into this game not caring about battletech and stayed due to the mates they formed playing in a unit.

Heaps of players I know are in the same boat, since starting this comp and MRBC we have had many new faces pop in and asking to give it a shot.

PGI is here to make money, the best way to get make money is to have more people playing the game.

You might get more whales or new people for your old whales to shoot, which keeps everyone happy, but not capitalising at all stages of this comp, the 100K investment could have been better managed with more community engagement and promoting this outside normal normal channels. ( Or in this case, any channels)

In the end, we love to play this game and we would love to share it with new and old players

Read again...I did not question this.
The games primary targets stay the same.
Additionaly PGI tried to attract the shooter players (Free to Play Shooter == FPS)

But they fail to concentrate on a group.
Thats why this game just bubbles along.
Focus is missing.
They fear to go full twitch shooter for the largest crowd because the oldster BT/ MW fans are those with the deepest pockets wanting to support their fan stuff.
And there are so much other, better shooters it would be a dangerous choice.

But as long as they don't go all out in one direction supporting one line it will just slowly dwindle along cause most ppl trying this game can't be positive about it...how should they.

Stompy robots are nice but...ask yourself...is there enough to do for you with your robots ?

Regularly updates with new equipment, new maps, gamemodes, multy or singleplayer missions.....

What exactly do you want to show to ppl ?

Stuff they could get excited about ...

Great new campaigns and regularly updated exciting, complex features ?

There are no.

Your basic shooter crowd is easy come easy go.
To attract them you need shinys but there are no.

And the fact a great piece of this world champion sham is left for the players to organize by themselfs does not make it better.

You want to showcase something ?

Well you better get something that actually is presentable.
And MWO isn't except for the fans of the genere.

Edited by The Basilisk, 11 October 2016 - 08:41 AM.

#15 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:49 PM

View PostMattEdge, on 11 October 2016 - 08:31 AM, said:

Regional finals should be announced on the in-game splash screen.

I saw something for OC finals after the fact on Reddit, haven't seen anything for NA or EU yet... I know NA is scheduled.

But no actual official word on these not even if you visit the website? .... Posted Image

Thursday at 17:30 UTC for Day 1 of the EU Regional Finals.

Reddit is the best place to get information ATM, as its player driven

#16 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:01 PM

I've never used reddit in my entire life - Since playing MWO though I've had to look at it semi regularly just to find stuff out.

That in itself shows how much of a problem information is to get about basic items in the game, tournament etc.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 11 October 2016 - 05:02 PM.

#17 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:41 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 11 October 2016 - 05:01 PM, said:

I've never used reddit in my entire life - Since playing MWO though I've had to look at it semi regularly just to find stuff out.

That in itself shows how much of a problem information is to get about basic items in the game, tournament etc.

I feel the same about twitter, Russ will post news, events and upcoming idea on there not here :(

#18 Arkroma

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:10 PM

As someone who does not have twitter access and have a bad connection when it comes to reddit, I blame PGI for everything!

#19 Stonefalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:50 PM

View PostArkroma, on 11 October 2016 - 11:10 PM, said:

As someone who does not have twitter access and have a bad connection when it comes to reddit, I blame PGI for everything!

I ended up deleting my twitter account when my - God bless it - Windows 10 preloaded Twitter app decided by itself to follow 220 other accounts in my name.

It's a big joke tbh, in the past few days I've been logging in to TS and asking if we've heard anything about future worlds matches to try and schedule life around, PGI is totally in the dark half the time, it's a crying shame.

#20 Eponym

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:58 AM

View PostStonefalcon, on 12 October 2016 - 06:50 PM, said:

It's a big joke tbh, in the past few days I've been logging in to TS and asking if we've heard anything about future worlds matches to try and schedule life around, PGI is totally in the dark half the time, it's a crying shame.

"Oh it's on Sunday? Ok- wait it's on Tuesday? Ok- wait it's next week? Ok... Sunday again? Right I... Tuesday?"

Edited by Denatonium, 13 October 2016 - 03:58 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users