Tournament Management From A Viewers Pov

3 replies to this topic

#1 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:30 AM

Kinda ranting this off, but I have to say it.

So this tourney is in its finals these days and it is still a mess to get information about it.

I was rather sceptical back in the day when PGI announced this big tournament with the insane prize money - but in the end I thought it could be interesting.

In those months, I tried to see what's going on with it, who are underdogs, who are the favorites how does it even work and who's on top - basically what is going on.

I found nothing about it. There is this banner on the front page, more or less hidden if you don't look for it. And there you get not much, some organizational stuff, nothing more. I know that there is a page about all the teams but you can't find it on the tournament page.
At that point, people told me those matches aren't really interesting, the big decisions will come in the regional finals and that is when it is getting hot.

Well, those are more or less over and you don't see a thing on the front page. You see the schedule, yes. Thanks.

After finding the streams on twitch and youtube I could watch some of those matches and I saw those nice pictures of the final trees and who's eliminating who. But those are only in the streams, you don't find these kind of infos on the main page or whatsoever.
Following this tournament is hard. Seriously, I don't know nothing about it.
And it could be so easy to make some noise about it. Make some interviews. Some Statistics, analyse some builds, what is meta what are outstanding things... I mean there are top teams running around in builds you'd never see in quickplay like the oxide with only 2 srm4 and not 4. Or why there is a Spider 5K with 4MGs in such an important match? Just some blog entries for people like me who have nothing to do with the comp scene but would like to know some about it.
It is not that hard. I mean those two shoutcasters are doing a good job in the stream, let them write something down, doesn't have to be long but I bet it would be interesting.

I have the feeling this tournament is solely made for those people participating and everyone at PGI is trying to organize it the best they can. But you all forget that these kind of events are made for the public.

It's like you bring the gladiators into the colosseum but lock the doors for the people.

Edited by 627, 17 October 2016 - 12:32 AM.

#2 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:38 AM

Two of the regions have finished and NA is halfway through the regional finals, yet the brackets on the tournament page have clearly not been updated since last week.

Really?

#3 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:27 PM

View Post627, on 17 October 2016 - 12:30 AM, said:

Well, those are more or less over and you don't see a thing on the front page. You see the schedule, yes. Thanks.

After finding the streams on twitch and youtube I could watch some of those matches and I saw those nice pictures of the final trees and who's eliminating who. But those are only in the streams, you don't find these kind of infos on the main page or whatsoever.
Following this tournament is hard. Seriously, I don't know nothing about it.
And it could be so easy to make some noise about it. Make some interviews. Some Statistics, analyse some builds, what is meta what are outstanding things... I mean there are top teams running around in builds you'd never see in quickplay like the oxide with only 2 srm4 and not 4. Or why there is a Spider 5K with 4MGs in such an important match? Just some blog entries for people like me who have nothing to do with the comp scene but would like to know some about it.
It is not that hard. I mean those two shoutcasters are doing a good job in the stream, let them write something down, doesn't have to be long but I bet it would be interesting.

Except, I'd like to know when the last NA rounds are, it is hidden somewhere I guess... one would think all the times would be at the first possible link, so people CAN NOT MISSI IT!

Kudos to commentators, they do a good job at it, rest of the attached info (Which is exactly what?) is rather non-existant.. this could have been good PR but I guess nobody was tasked to do that. I mean 100k should be good enough PR, right, uh. Why bother spending any more on the extra effort.

#4 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:39 PM

View PostHaakon Magnusson, on 17 October 2016 - 12:27 PM, said:

. I mean 100k should be good enough PR, right, uh. Why bother spending any more on the extra effort.

Yeah its something PGI badly needs a marketing team and a PR manager + a community manager that is more community focus.

Compare this event to cheaper 10K events, these cheaper events are running rings around PGI with there marketing and community engagement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users