• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:38 AM

Got to build, master, and run around the testing grounds. She moves very well, she looks gorgeous in Nova Cat colors, and the 8xASRM4 cluster stupidly tightly. Like... wow.

Posted Image

#3 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:21 PM

Don't own the mech and can't see the quirck on li song mechlab since the new loyalist clan heads somehow screwed the program Posted Image. So did some quick raw builds.
HMN-A(4 x cSRM6+A, 4 x cSPL)
HMN-A(8 x cSRM4+A)
HMN-A(4 x cSRM4+A, c4 x SRM2+A)
HMN-A(2 x cLPL, 3 x cERML)

#4 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:31 PM

I am a bit surprised I haven't seen more Huntsman post myself. I did buy into them and I have to say I am ridding the disappointed side of the fence.

First they are kinda of squishy with, from what I can tell, a fairly large CT. Also it loses arms and torsos very easy as well. I won't call it DOA bad, but it is noticeable.

Also I was expecting Nova-like agility but they gave it the Medium movement profile instead of the small movement profile the Nova has. I guess I should have seen that coming but didn't even think about it until I jumped in for the first time and was wondering why it felt sluggish. On the other hand, I haven't mastered the mech yet so speed tweak and double basic efficiencies might change how the mech feels quite a bit.

If I have to be honest, it isn't a bad mech but I think I set myself up for failure because I was expecting (hoping for) Stormcrow-like hitboxes combined with Nova-like agility. Instead it feels like of mediocre.

One thing I will say, is that the Hero, the Pakhet, is an absolute standout. While the other variants seem kind of mediocre, I run 4 SRM6+Artemis and 3 ER ML on the Pakhet and it is very strong.

Lastly, I only have about a dozen matches total in these mechs so take what I am saying with a grain of salt. I might change my mind about them once I settle in and get used to them.

#5 Dalllus

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:24 PM

@Viktor Drake Do you mind sharing your Pakhet build?

#6 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:28 PM

Determined three things, after dumping a bunch of saved up GXP to master all the variants:

1. The side torsos are surprisingly not a particularly high risk of loss.
2. The mech can armor roll extremely well.
3. If, for whatever reason, you don't have a chance to armor roll, the mech detonates faster than an Afgani vest through center torso damage. Seriously, it is stupidly fast how quickly that CT can vaporize.

8x ASRM4 is vicious. Absolutely brutal if it gets someone one on one. On the other hand, it is miserable to try and run it in pug or group queue, and redlines the heat constantly. Very high risk, but very high reward. Probably best used in Scouting matches, 4v4.

It requires people to be a bit aggressive, or at least give you an opportunity to engage. Instead, people are pissing their pants in the corner the entire damned game, and I can't move up because I have a bullseye over my head, running a Huntsman in an event that targets Huntsmen.

2x UAC10 2x ERSLas, on the other hand, feels far and away more public drop friendly. Pushing out solid damage and high mobility for a mech its size, though it is about 1 ton shy of enough ammo to make me totally comfortable with it. Still, those arms are more likely to snap off than the ST, which is a huge benefit over the HBK-IIC.

Granted, given that CT is a damage magnet, it would be kinda nice if the ST hitboxes extended a little more over the CT.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 18 October 2016 - 09:50 PM.

#7 Gen82

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:08 PM

I came to the same conclusion for 2UAC10 2ersml. It was the first build I am trying.

#8 l42yb0y

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 20 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:39 AM

While at work waiting to play again with my new Huntsman I have come up with a 80-Alpha version...

HMN-PRIME

Edited by l42yb0y, 19 October 2016 - 04:40 AM.

#9 Vadafallon

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:27 AM

View Postl42yb0y, on 19 October 2016 - 04:39 AM, said:

While at work waiting to play again with my new Huntsman I have come up with a 80-Alpha version...

HMN-PRIME

I like this build. You poke with the mediums until they get in close and then use the SRMs and Small lasers?

#10 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:50 AM

View PostDalllus, on 18 October 2016 - 08:24 PM, said:

@Viktor Drake Do you mind sharing your Pakhet build?

I am at work so I post the smurfy's link but it is pretty much just a bog standard 4 x SRM6 + Artemis in the Torosos, 3 x ER ML in the arms, fill out the empty slots with as many DHS as you can then wedge in ammo where ever you have a free crit slot. I think I did drop one DHS for more ammo though but can't recall off the top of my head.

#11 l42yb0y

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 20 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:46 AM

@vadafollon

I'll have to see if that version is actually working that way - but that was the intention, yes...

might get rid of the lower actoator on the missle arm and add another ton of ammo... we'll see...

Edited by l42yb0y, 19 October 2016 - 01:14 PM.

#12 valhallan42nd

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:15 AM

View PostGen82, on 18 October 2016 - 11:08 PM, said:

I came to the same conclusion for 2UAC10 2ersml. It was the first build I am trying.

Okay, I don't feel so crazy for trying this.

#13 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:22 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 18 October 2016 - 09:28 PM, said:

Determined three things, after dumping a bunch of saved up GXP to master all the variants:

1. The side torsos are surprisingly not a particularly high risk of loss.
2. The mech can armor roll extremely well.
3. If, for whatever reason, you don't have a chance to armor roll, the mech detonates faster than an Afgani vest through center torso damage. Seriously, it is stupidly fast how quickly that CT can vaporize.

8x ASRM4 is vicious. Absolutely brutal if it gets someone one on one. On the other hand, it is miserable to try and run it in pug or group queue, and redlines the heat constantly. Very high risk, but very high reward. Probably best used in Scouting matches, 4v4.

It requires people to be a bit aggressive, or at least give you an opportunity to engage. Instead, people are pissing their pants in the corner the entire damned game, and I can't move up because I have a bullseye over my head, running a Huntsman in an event that targets Huntsmen.

2x UAC10 2x ERSLas, on the other hand, feels far and away more public drop friendly. Pushing out solid damage and high mobility for a mech its size, though it is about 1 ton shy of enough ammo to make me totally comfortable with it. Still, those arms are more likely to snap off than the ST, which is a huge benefit over the HBK-IIC.

Granted, given that CT is a damage magnet, it would be kinda nice if the ST hitboxes extended a little more over the CT.

1. Don't know if I agree about the side Torsos as I have lost mine several times. They are not as bad as I expected though, I will grant you that.

2. For the most part I agree on the ability to roll damage give the opportunity to do so. I do wish the torso twist was a bit more snappy though but maybe I am spoiled by my Stormcrow which feel significantly faster.

3. Completely and totally agree here. In any situation where you need to trade shots without being able to roll your torso you might as well just quit because its CT armor honestly feels like it doesn't exist. I almost want to say it feels bugged to be honest but it could just be a really bad hitbox for the Huntsman.

Overall I am fairly disappointed so far. Being that it is the same tonnage and has the same engine as the Nova I was expecting it to behave like the Nova but comparatively it is very sluggish and feels more like I am trying to move around a heavy mech than a smaller, agile Medium. (Researched this and the Nova has a small movement profile vs the Huntsman having a medium movement profile). This means it doesn't have the ability poke and run like either the Nova or the Stormcrow. That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing but if you can't poke and run, you need to be able to tank and unfortunately the Huntsman can't do that either which leaves it in a bad place if you ask me. Also this mech tends to run hot as I predicted.

I honestly hate to admit it but the Hunchback IIC as some others predicted is hands down a better mech because it can be optimized and offset the medium movement profile by mounting a larger engine. The Nova is also much better because it actually has the agility it needs to poke and run and the Huntsman doesn't even come close to comparing to the Stormcrow.

Honestly I was completely shocked by this. My first Huntsman prime mimiced my favorite Stormcrow built with 6 MPL. The stormcrow only had 2 more DHS so aside from the huntsman being a tad bit hotter running they were very close on firepower. I had thought the 5 JJs would offset the 20 kph faster run speed as well.

On testing however, it was brutal. On my Stormcrow that build averages 400-500 damage each and every match and I have often seen the damage numbers roll into the 800-1000 range on very good matches. On the Huntsman, I just couldn't make it work. I think I ran it 10 matches, 8 of which I didn't break 100 damage. Of the 2 matches I had that I did ok, I didn't break 250 damage in either match. In general I determined that the Huntsman failed for two reasons. Not enough Agility and the disintegrating CT.

After thinking about it, the Huntsman probably isn't much above the Ice Ferret in terms of how good it is and that is a damn shame.

Fixes Required:

-Fix the CT hitbox and or quirk the CT structure
-Structure quirks for arms (Permanent, even if you swap pods)
-Agility Quirks or movement profile set to small

Edited by Viktor Drake, 19 October 2016 - 09:26 AM.

#14 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:39 AM

I have had no issues with breaking 100 damage. At all. If your damage is that low in any setup, that is less a mech specific issue, and more of a playstyle issue. Either that, or a string of horrifically bad luck, probably being made all the worse since everyone is trying to kill the Huntsmen they see due to the event. 6 MPlas is 48 damage, so if you're dealing sub-100, that means you're not even getting three shots off before going down.

In fact, my biggest issue right now is the fact that everyone is trying to kill me. I can stand next to a Kodiak, and they will gun for me, first, because clearly I am the larger threat. :P This event is making it even harder to play the Huntsman than it needs to be.

From playing it all night, and some this morning, I'm thinking the ST hitboxes could be made bigger. Better to lose a side torso than the center torso on a Clan mech with a CXL. Not much bigger, mind you, but just a hair larger so the CT is not a gigantic, impossible to miss, target. Either that, or a chassis wide CT structure quirk on par with the Nova.

#15 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:55 AM

Hard to tell how fragile it actually is with the event running.

If you turn it to the side you'll notice the arms just about completely cover the side torsos, which I think had a lot to do with them going so quickly.

The quirks situation is kind of lame, but I was expecting no quirks, so there is that.

On the subject, 8 piece locked bonuses are kind of stupid. The quirks themselves are not good enough for this restriction, and in general I don't think thats how an omni should work.

So far I like it;

Huntman PA is a monster with 4 streak6 and 3mpl or ermed. That 15% turn rate bonus makes all the difference.

Love the jump jets, just enough to escape the low ground in canyon.

If you have the Hero and the P variant you can rock out 8 missile hardpoints on the PA with 4 ssrm6, 2 ssrm4, 2 ssrm2 and enough ammo for 1200 damage. Its very very very annoying in chain fire against a single opponent.

Edited by Prototelis, 19 October 2016 - 10:56 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users