Stop Putting A Bounty On The New Mechs

31 replies to this topic

#1 AfterBurn914

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:01 PM

Seriously, you incentivize the player base to hunt the new mechs. This has to be the dumbest thing you can do. Talk about making people not want to play those mechs. Seriously and then you put a huge amount of bonus money from the event for doing it many times. [redacted]

Edited by Catalina Steiner, 01 November 2016 - 03:58 PM.
removed insults

#2 Tertius

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 72 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:53 AM

I totaly agree with this. It is super-anoying to play a new mech. Especially when you need to pilot the new one for special challenges while by this bounty-challenge thing everybody on the field targets you as enemy no. 1....

No fun.

#3 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:22 AM

As a new mech with mostly unknown capabilities you will be target #1 anyhow .
Data and battlefield knowledge about how the enemy behaves need to be collected, examinated and assessed.
This is fastest when hunting for the new ones .

#4 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:27 AM

I don't see the issue. There should be a grace period of say 7 days first though. That way you can get some practice, tweak and skill-up the 'mech before you become the primary target.

Running a pilot-challenge/pilot-hunt alongside each other makes it more interesting for both sides. If you have a pilot-challenge on it's own it's boring and only caters to those who pay (and if you're only going to cater to those who pay you might as well go full pay-to-win; premium-heatsinks only $4 each).

If you really feel like excluding everyone else it should be a "Kill a Huntsman in a Huntsman" type event. That way you can't sucker punch the first newb you see for an easy prize and have to actually compete against each other for your reward.

#5 AfterBurn914

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:53 PM

So on top of the fact that we become the top hunted mech on the table, (and VonBruinwald, i do like the idea of a 7day grace period. I would be alright with that, due to being able to level up the mech some...) the biggest reward on the table is the one to kill huntsman mechs. And I have now played 11 games since the release, and I've seen 2 Huntsman mechs on the opposing sides, and only had 2 games with another on my team.

How can they expect us to want to play the new mechs like this?

It just seems like something that hurts people who do buy their new mech packs, and is more of a discouragement to spend money and support the company.

Might just be my 2 cents, but I really dislike it.

#6 r00t b33r

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 34 posts
  • LocationN 41° 56' 53.8296", W 87° 39' 20.5626"

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:30 PM

> Salty enough to start a topic to complain about their new 'Mechs.

Posted Image

But seriously...

I do agree with a grace period for an event, however, people are going to single you out anyway to see where the hitboxes are and how the armor holds-out. If it's new and I don't know how it is to fight against, I'm probably going to shoot at you first so I can learn for future reference. There's also challenges available to the people who bought it that are only available to them. (Don't even get the community started on how the nerf bat will affect them when they buff it before it's available for C-bills.)

When they've held similar events when I've bought a 'Mech pack: saw it as a "Challenge Accepted"/"Come at me bro" moment rather than everyone-is-against-me mindset. News flash: the red doritos are likely going to shoot at you no matter what you're in. (Make it fun and get your team to "defend" you to deny them the satisfaction of killing you and they'll coordinate enough to win matches. Silly? Yes. But effective.)

#7 Tsar Bomba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 208 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:22 PM

That's why they call it a challenge.
Posted Image

#8 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:51 PM

I leveled the Cyclops during the 'get the cyclops' challenge and i say use it to your advantage. if you know that there are incentives for the enemy to kill you then your the ultimate bait. They will come to you or follow you.

#9 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:20 AM

View PostAfterBurn914, on 19 October 2016 - 03:01 PM, said:

Seriously, you incentivize the player base to hunt the new mechs. This has to be the dumbest thing you can do. Talk about making people not want to play those mechs. Seriously and then you put a huge amount of bonus money from the event for doing it many times. F&%K you PGI!!!

Not that I wouldn't hunt them down simply due to principles and stuff (unskilled mechs, easy to get bonus kills the first 2 weeks due to uncertain and experimental builds, and then the immense fun to seriously find all the kinks and sensitive spots of this fresh little bugger heheheh Posted Image ) but....hey remember what happende to the founders of that game they gave PGI money before the game existed and got promised all sorts of stuff.
Sure they got the stuff in the founders packages (Atlas, Hunchback, Catapult and...dont remember what the light was) all those mechs got large time frames relatively shortly after "release" of MWO where they simply where so gimped it just hurt to pilot them.

Gentelman thats what you get when supporting this company early on.
Only pay for stuff you tested and found good.
Like in the good old times where a company had actually produce a feature ready product or get sued for not selling what whas promised on the package.

Edited by The Basilisk, 21 October 2016 - 12:25 AM.

#10 Tibbnak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 379 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:50 AM

A better way to run this would have been to have it as "Play a match with a huntsman on your team, and win with at least a 80 match score."

#11 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:50 PM

I hunt new mechs for lulz not for the bounty!

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 23 October 2016 - 04:51 PM.

#12 Tsar Bomba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:14 PM

Every new mech lately has had a 'jump in' period. Or as Sniper would say...

Posted Image

#13 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:04 PM

I do agree it was a bit soon to do this type of challenge so quickly after they dropped but aside from that I think it's fine.

So waiting 7 days so ppl get to know their new mech is a good idea. Of course, you need enough ppl in the new mech to enable the challenge so 7 days might be too much. Maybe 4 or 5 days would be better?

OP, what alternative do you propose to include players that didn't buy the new mech?

#14 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostTibbnak, on 23 October 2016 - 10:50 AM, said:

A better way to run this would have been to have it as "Play a match with a huntsman on your team, and win with at least a 80 match score."

That's not really a challenge for ppl that didn't buy the new mech.

#15 Krevvie

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:33 AM

I appreciate the logic that the bounty on the HMN means that they see action, but this is ridiculous. I've killed one so far, with my lurm boat--because every single one I see out there disappears in a hailstorm of LRMs as soon as they show their face. I much prefer the idea of having one on your team and having to win the match with at least 80 pts.

In related news, this "loot bag" section of the current event is far and away my favorite. It allows me to try my less-crunchy mechs a bit, not just my lurm boat and 3xUAC/20 Dire Wolf every single time.

#16 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:05 PM

View PostAfterBurn914, on 19 October 2016 - 03:01 PM, said:

Seriously, you incentivize the player base to hunt the new mechs. This has to be the dumbest thing you can do. Talk about making people not want to play those mechs. Seriously and then you put a huge amount of bonus money from the event for doing it many times. F&%K you PGI!!!

Quoted to bolster.

Pgi logic (read: totally devoid of any) strikes again. I've hardly seen any huntsman.

#17 AfterBurn914

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:45 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 24 October 2016 - 12:04 PM, said:

I do agree it was a bit soon to do this type of challenge so quickly after they dropped but aside from that I think it's fine.

So waiting 7 days so ppl get to know their new mech is a good idea. Of course, you need enough ppl in the new mech to enable the challenge so 7 days might be too much. Maybe 4 or 5 days would be better?

OP, what alternative do you propose to include players that didn't buy the new mech?

So to play on the idea that you want people to actually play the mech, but you also want to try to encourage people to play as a team. How about play a match with a Huntsman on your team, and have a Huntsman survive the match, with you having a Match score of 80. It promotes a concept of people wanting to protect a huntsman, and if there are more than 1 on a team, it give you some additional options. It also makes people to want to play the huntsman because then their whole team benefits from them surviving the match, and they can have a little more re-assurance that they are goign to be watched over a little more by the rest of the group to gain that reward.

#18 r00t b33r

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 34 posts
  • LocationN 41° 56' 53.8296", W 87° 39' 20.5626"

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:12 AM

Perhaps points scored for a Huntsman singing the theme from Freakazoid?

#19 LightningStorm

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 60 posts
  • Locationİstanbul, Türkiye

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:43 AM

I disagree, when a new mech comes out, queues are filled with them, even stretching the boundaries of 3 of each weight class like 5 kodiaks in a team, etc...
However if it makes mech specific challenges annoying to complete, then they could postpone mech specific events.
In short, im glad that i don't see at least 3 huntsman on every team in every match

#20 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:42 AM

I think this does need to stop. Mechs trying to level up, getting pasted by 12 potentially levelled players would be nasty. I don't have a first hand account but if I did, I'd be raging.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users