8 replies to this topic

#1 Rintero Pryde

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 October 2016 - 06:00 PM

I've been playing MWO since January of this year, and enjoying just about every minute of it. As I was playing, I recalled the days when I could go to Dave and Buster's and find the giant immersive MechWarrior pods. In those days my only exposure to the Battletech universe was a worn and battered copy of the Legend of the Jade Pheonix trilogy, following the exploits of Aidan Pryde and Clan Jade Falcon during the first Invasion. The immersion of the MechWarrior pods definitely spoke to me.

Now that I have reliable income, I was hoping to find one of these pods on the cheap, thinking to find them outdated and on the market. I was quite mistaken. My study into the topic brought me to the forums on this site, where I found my alternative-to build my own simpit.

With my predecessors for inspiration and my own modest skills, I set out the create a full enclosure pit.

Posted Image

The Journey begins with a trip to the local Junkyard- the kind where you can salvage your own parts from junked cars.

Posted Image

The gem I found turned out to be the passenger seat of a mid-2000's Scion XB. The seat came out easily with a socket wrench-5 bolts held the seat to the car. Cost: $25.98

Posted Image

The seat was dusty and has a small hole burn in it (Cigarette butt)

Posted Image

The seat vacuumed up great. No stains or permanent blemishes aside from the burn.

Posted Image

The seatbelt was the first to go.

Posted Image

The mount points were definitely odd, but after doing a little bending and measuring, I found that a base made of 2x4s would provide an adequate mount.

Posted Image

Some mocking-up. The 2x4s were left over salvage from large boxes that work was throwing away. Heavy equipment comes packaged in plywood boxes reinforced with 2x4s, and my boss lets me rip them off and take them home before they end up in the landfill. If not, you can get some basic pine 2x4x8 feet long for as little as $2.89 a board.

Posted Image

Holes drilled with a standard power drill and an appropriately sized drill bit.

Posted Image

Some plates, also retrieved from the trash at work.

Posted Image

A closer image of the... unique nature of the seat mount points.
The metal peg you see lower down required that an additional hole be drilled in the 2x4 for it to slip into- If I owned an angle grinder, it would have been removed altogether, but I didn't want to spend when I could accommodate the change.

Posted Image

Another mock-up after the holes were drilled, and 2x4's sized and cut. I used a miter saw-easily the best investment I ever made into my woodworking projects. Precision of my cuts couldn't be beat with a circular saw alone. If you need one yourself, a local pawn shop provided my Ryobi used for around $40. The $40 will not be factored into the budget for the project that I tally at the end.

Posted Image

Same mock-up, but under the seat itself.

Posted Image

Finished frame

Posted Image

This angle catches the most unique mount to deal with. It's vertical, and as luck would have it, a 2x4 fits perfectly on end into that space. Two holes drilled into the wood will allow the large screw/bolts to get in there. I had to buy a drill bit to fit these, adding another $7 to the bill.

Posted Image

The bolts, washers, and other odds and ends needed for this phase of the build. 4 of those bolts and nuts are for my vice to mount to my work bench, so I won't factor them into the price of the pit build.

Posted Image

Bought the rest of the wood! 7 19/32 inch 4x8ft plywood boards will cover the sides, reinforced by 20 1x4inchx8ft trim panels. total: $202. Probably the most expensive part of this build.

Posted Image

Drywall screws, which were the only screws I could find at 1 inch. 1 1/2 inch screws would have protruded beyond the other side of the walls. Time will tell if my choice will bite me in the butt. If it does, I'll let you guys know on here. cost: $12

More to follow as I make more progress. Entertain yourselves with my diagrams:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Back Panel

Posted Image

Vertical Front Panel

Posted Image

Bottom/Floor, with 2x4's in place to attach the walls.

Posted Image

Side wall without door. Note all the janky stuff that I had to do to get all the angles right with the reinforcement 1x4s. Save yourself the time, effort, and the use of your spare wood and mock up the 1x4's first. Be sure to compare later to the next side wall I make.

Posted Image

Outside view of the side wall and vertical front attached to the base. The general dimensions of the enclosure are starting to take shape.

Posted Image

Inside view of the same.

Posted Image

Side panel with door cut out

Posted Image

Pit with seat placed inside, to help with mocking up

Posted Image

Same side as earlier, with door attached

Posted Image

The side is now attached, and the door swings freely open and shut. the door jams are a little rough, later on in the finishing process I'll detail how I'm going to deal with that.

Posted Image

View from the back

Posted Image

I decided at this point to both reinforce the base of the build, as well as make it mobile so that when I inevitably move it can move with me. This is the base I made, completely out of inexpensive metal fittings from Home Depot, and 1x6's that I scavenged. Each cross-board is measured to lie directly under the cross-boards of the original frame.

Posted Image

Again, from a different angle.

Posted Image

I also created a small access door at the front of the pit, so the PC can be removed when needed. It locks, for no real reason haha.

Posted Image

This is the first mock up of the partition wall between the PC compartment and the cockpit proper.

Posted Image

A look at the partition wall in its completed state.

Posted Image

And Now we are mocking up the first of the horizontal surfaces inside the cockpit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Rintero Pryde, 14 April 2017 - 04:05 PM.

#2 Orville Righteous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 127 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 October 2016 - 06:08 PM

That is freaking awesome. I'm jealous.

#3 Saladin Yussuf

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 06:33 PM

Such Awesome.

#4 Jern

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 51 posts
  • LocationAR

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:56 AM

Sweet can't wait to see how you plan to install the tech parts and cool the person inside the box!

#5 Orville Righteous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 127 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:24 AM

View PostJern, on 03 November 2016 - 09:56 AM, said:

Sweet can't wait to see how you plan to install the tech parts and cool the person inside the box!

Farrah will be there to throw ice water on him once in a while.

#6 BossGeek

Rookie

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:36 PM

I see the start of a new garage based business... eh? I can't wait to see it finished.

#7 ORIGINAL SteelWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 460 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe land of ID.

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:21 AM

Any updates?