How To Fix Suicides

55 replies to this topic

#41 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 30 October 2016 - 04:51 PM

View Postmujrym, on 30 October 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

Which is worse than just dying how? If you are caught in 1v3 or similar situation you rather just shutdown or not fire? Dying by override while doing significant damage to the opponent seems to be a better course for the team you are on than just getting smoked. Can you explain to me how that is not a better course of action? Thanks!

Wut? I kind of agree to the part where doing damage before you die, when you're about to die is nice. But why is this directed to me? I'm not saying that it's not a better course of action, that one should just override, hell i always go override and just not fire when my mech is sore. Far healthier than shutting down smack dab in the middle of everyone while in a firefight.

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 29 October 2016 - 11:06 PM, said:

View Postmeteorol, on 29 October 2016 - 11:03 PM, said:

How does killing oneself protect the K/D? A suicide counts as death aswell, doesn't it?

Probably so they can kill one more before they die...

KD ratio goes like this: 9/7 -- that's a ratio of 1.2857, supposed that you only die, that's 9/8 KD, ratio of 1.125, less than 1.2857. But if you Die and have a kill, that's 10/8, which is 1.25 ratio. So having one more kill before death, kind of lessens the impact in the KD ratio.

Of course i don't care about KD, some statwhores maybe.

#42 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:49 PM

Funny it seems the main reason some folks may want to keep the enemy from suiciding in combat is to pad their kills and damage number

So both side are trying to maximize their own numbers seems fair.

Override is still a better implementation of lore than the way endo/ferro works, and I have been looking for a lore true believer cause to further my own opinion and playstyle.

Most folks override die when it is obvious that death will happen, and that one extra mech or alpha can really help your team if you got separated or flanked. I still see way more folks not using this when it would be to their advantage. Funny there are so many ways to tell who never played contact team sports. All that matters is using the literal rules to win unless you are playing with folks you need to keep the peace with.

Many folks including myself, carry less than 8pts of armor on my back, so it is healthier to twist and over ride in front of folks than trying to escape if their are more than 3-4.

#43 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:52 PM

View PostRhent, on 29 October 2016 - 09:42 PM, said:

You suicided by not managing your own heat.

To be more specific, I overrode shutdown while I had already shutdown, and the random heat-penalty damage decided to cook the one section on my mech that was in somewhat critical condition, and my mech was otherwise in pretty decent shape, with most of the internals still protected by armor.

Yes, I did make a mistake, but I hadn't the faintest idea I'd end up killing myself from it. I hadn't gone too far above 100% heat, and it seemed like a freak incident that the very small amount of time during which I was in override shutdown mode would actually result in my death.

I don't think things like that should be penalized.
The only type of suicide that deserves penalty is death by out-of-bounds, anything else is too likely to be an accidental suicide.

And for the cases of blatantly obvious intentional suicide, there is the report feature.

Edited by armyunit, 30 October 2016 - 07:23 PM.

#44 a gaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:30 PM

My proposed solution to suicides is:

No penalty for everyone in Tier 5 because they are learning how to play.

Tier 4 players receive a 150,000 C-bill 'maintenance fee' for the "cost of fixing the salvageable engine and heat sinks"and forfeit all C-Bills earned for that match.
This minor penalty is fairly reasonable for people who somewhat know the game but aren't 'very skilled' yet.
They retain XP earned.

Tier 3 players that suicide forfeit all C-Bills and XP earned for that match as well as get charged a 150,000 C-bill 'maintenance fee' and charged a -1000 XP penalty on the chassis (mech) that they were in when suicide occurred.

Tier 2 players forfeit all C-Bills and XP earned earned for that match, are charged a 150,000 C-bill 'maintenance fee' and are charged with a -2000 XP penalty on all mechs they own.
Because by this time....come on, you should know better.

Tier 1 players really have no excuse.
They forfeit all C-Bills and XP earned earned for that match, are charged the 150,000 C-bill 'maintenance fee' and are charged with a -4000 XP penalty onall mechs in the game regardless of whether they own one or not.

I think I am going lenient on the XP penalty for tiers 3 ~ 1.

Disclaimer: I only read replies from the first page.

#45 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:38 PM

I forgot to add:

XP penalty can affect mechs that are already unlocked, i.e. a Mech is elited and has 2nd Mech/Weapon Module Slot unlocked and you are penalized -4000 XP, you'll have to spend XP to once again unlock the 2nd Mech Module slot.

Any module in that slot is put back into your inventory.

Let's say you continue suiciding in that mech...it starts losing all the Skills that were unlocked, effectively making the prospect of suiciding exponentially punishing.

Edited by Star Commander Horse, 30 October 2016 - 07:40 PM.

#46 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:50 PM

View PostStar Commander Horse, on 30 October 2016 - 07:30 PM, said:

Tier 4 players receive a 150,000 C-bill 'maintenance fee' for the "cost of fixing the salvageable engine and heat sinks"and forfeit all C-Bills earned for that match.
This minor penalty is fairly reasonable for people who somewhat know the game but aren't 'very skilled' yet.
They retain XP earned.

Tier 3 players that suicide forfeit all C-Bills and XP earned for that match as well as get charged a 150,000 C-bill 'maintenance fee' and charged a -1000 XP penalty on the chassis (mech) that they were in when suicide occurred.

Tier 2 players forfeit all C-Bills and XP earned earned for that match, are charged a 150,000 C-bill 'maintenance fee' and are charged with a -2000 XP penalty on all mechs they own.

They forfeit all C-Bills and XP earned earned for that match, are charged the 150,000 C-bill 'maintenance fee' and are charged with a -4000 XP penalty onall mechs in the game regardless of whether they own one or not.

What a load of drivel this is.

View PostStar Commander Horse, on 30 October 2016 - 07:38 PM, said:

I forgot to add:

XP penalty can affect mechs that are already unlocked, i.e. a Mech is elited and has 2nd Mech/Weapon Module Slot unlocked and you are penalized -4000 XP, you'll have to spend XP to once again unlock the 2nd Mech Module slot.

Any module in that slot is put back into your inventory.

Let's say you continue suiciding in that mech...it starts losing all the Skills that were unlocked, effectively making the prospect of suiciding exponentially punishing.
These are probably the worst ideas i have ever seen posted on this forum.
Thank goodness even PGI isnt so stoopid as to implement this garbage.

Edited by Ace Selin, 30 October 2016 - 08:53 PM.

#47 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:14 PM

View PostStar Commander Horse, on 30 October 2016 - 07:30 PM, said:

They retain XP earned.

You know what, just lock the mech for extended duration -- for like 2 hrs or something, and use XP or GXP to unlock them early. Cause that 150000 fine is just messed up. Not everyone has PT, likewise i don't make that much on one game, subtracting Consumables even.

View PostAce Selin, on 30 October 2016 - 08:50 PM, said:

These are probably the worst ideas i have ever seen posted on this forum.
Thank goodness even PGI isnt so stoopid as to implement this garbage.

Hey.... Hey Ace

ENERGY DRAW!!!!!!!

Edited by The6thMessenger, 30 October 2016 - 09:15 PM.

#48 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:32 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 30 October 2016 - 09:14 PM, said:

You know what, just lock the mech for extended duration -- for like 2 hrs or something, and use XP or GXP to unlock them early. Cause that 150000 fine is just messed up. Not everyone has PT, likewise i don't make that much on one game, subtracting Consumables even.

Hey.... Hey Ace

ENERGY DRAW!!!!!!!

OK, so my suggestion was over-the-top for some. That's OK.

How about more lenient penalties for light mechs, and penalties heavier based on weight class?

At least I offered a suggestion though, some people (Ace) just complain. Complaining is fine but not offering any helpful suggestion is not.

#49 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:41 PM

View PostStar Commander Horse, on 30 October 2016 - 09:32 PM, said:

OK, so my suggestion was over-the-top for some. That's OK.

How about more lenient penalties for light mechs, and penalties heavier based on weight class?

At least I offered a suggestion though, some people (Ace) just complain. Complaining is fine but not offering any helpful suggestion is not.

I'm still wondering what, exactly, is broken with suicides that it needs anything to be fixed.

#50 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:41 PM

How about this. If you think someone's suicide is report-worthy, report it. The option is there in the game.

If pgi finds no wrongdoing, suck it up buttercup.

#51 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:06 PM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 30 October 2016 - 09:41 PM, said:

I'm still wondering what, exactly, is broken with suicides that it needs anything to be fixed.

This. I posted earlier in the thread stating the mechanic was working as intended it is. Its a gamble the pilot takes, more potential gain (enemy kill) for potential loss (death via overheat).

I didn't complain i belittled your patently crappy proposal to break a mechanic that is working (besides the fact that overheating should not explode your head imo)

#52 Taffer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 500 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:16 PM

You can make a suicide count as 100 deaths for all I care. I'll still override and put as many alphas into the enemy as I possibly can, especially in the Atlas; that thing knows how to over-alpha!

#53 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:38 AM

@OP

Why do even care if a last guy in the enemy team suicides or not? If you want to boost *your* KDR maybe you should have worried about killing the other 11 guys on the enemy team who didn't suicide instead? I understand wanting to punish the guy who goes OB or overheats himself 10 seconds after the start of the match, but anything else is just your own greed and nothing more.

#54 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:39 AM

disclaimer: i like to see green on my stats. so i'm kinda stat-warrior that way.

that being said, i also overheat suicide a lot. why? not because i'm trying to deny someone on the opposing team a kill. a death is a death is a death. it still counts towards my kda. i overheat suicide because if i'm going to go down, i'm going to down fighting, dealing as much damage as i can to the enemy.

best case scenario, i kill one last guy with a final last gasp volley. worst case scenario, i deal damage that my remaining teammates can hopefully capitalize on. and i'm gonna call it out on team chat too if i open up some part of your torso, strip your leg, or smack off your weapon arm.

so if you see me in-game and i blow myself up, feel free to report me. because unless PGI does something to me, i'm going to keep overheat suiciding in the thick of battle if it means helping my team to a win.

#55 NighthawK1337

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere, Terra, Asia, Philippines

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:50 AM

View Postmujrym, on 30 October 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

Which is worse than just dying how? If you are caught in 1v3 or similar situation you rather just shutdown or not fire? Dying by override while doing significant damage to the opponent seems to be a better course for the team you are on than just getting smoked. Can you explain to me how that is not a better course of action? Thanks!

He's actually saying in his other posts that it's a good thing.

I don't think there's anything to fix. Really. People don't suicide to keep their KDA ratio, they do it for the banzai style of dying or lowering their PSR. People who complain about strategic banzai suicide are people who's just sore that they got denied the kill for their own KDA.

Edited by NighthawK1337, 31 October 2016 - 08:40 AM.

#56 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:43 AM

View PostRhent, on 29 October 2016 - 10:20 PM, said:

No problem you explain why someone at the end of the match when there is no repair and rearm and in fact if they fight and do damage and die will make more c-bills and gxp decide to run off into the woods and overheat themselves until they explode? What possible numeric reason is it for that person to give up on more XP, Cbills and GXP by going down fighting?

They read one of your Forum "Suicide" Posts? Seems reason enough...

Edited by Almond Brown, 31 October 2016 - 08:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users