17 replies to this topic

#1 Rintero Pryde

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:05 AM

Hey all! Having FPS Issues, and I'm hoping someone has some answers.

Rig:

AMD Athlon II x4 860K CPU mildly over clocked to 4.0GHZ (more potential for OC, but need a CPU cooler)
8gb ram (2 corsair vengeance 4gb DDR3)
MSI R9 390 graphics card, with 8gb Ram itself. Not overclocked, just set fan engagement at lower Temps because I play audio through my headset and fan noise doesn't bother me.

Able to play War Thunder at max settings with 60-90 fps
Able to play Heroes and Generals with no less than 70 fps

Can't seem to handle MWO consistently. Settings are as follows:

Resolution: 1940x1080

EFFECTS: LOW
OBJECT DETAIL: HIGH
PARTICLES: LOW
POST PROCESSING: LOW
SHADING: LOW
SHADOWS: LOW
TEXTURING: HIGH
ENVIRONMENT: HIGH
ANTI-ALIASING: OFF

Any thoughts? Are there any AMD or graphics card specific settings that need changing? Running 16.1 drivers. Any input would be appreciated.

#2 Voodoomancer

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:38 AM

You might be straight-up CPU limited.

I had an Athlon X2-640 (3Ghz quad-core) paired with a Radeon HD 7870. When I upgraded to a Core i3-6100, I saw at least a 50% average framerate boost with no video card change, and far fewer dips. The Viper is playable now, where it would have been unusable before.

The 860K @ stock benches around 20-25% over the 640; your 10% overclock means your CPU should be about 40% faster than mine was, but your 390 is also 40% faster than my 7870 so you're still CPU-limited.

If you are CPU-limited... all you can do is find the any remaining CPU-intensive effects and dial them down. Can't really help you with advice there, except maybe try turning damage glow off because I hear that's fairly CPU-intensive. If you can upgrade to Skylake Core i-anything though, that will make a huge difference.

#3 Omaha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 559 posts
  • LocationAnywhere

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:47 AM

Psssshhhh I pilot a locust at 18-25fps xD. It's pure craziness lol Talk about rage quitting LMFAO!

I guess try to run a clean boot, see if you can limit some background processes. Maybe even set higher priority?

Wuts your mobo model#?

Edited by Omaha, 01 November 2016 - 10:53 AM.

#4 Rintero Pryde

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:09 AM

View PostVoodoomancer, on 01 November 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:

You might be straight-up CPU limited.

I had an Athlon X2-640 (3Ghz quad-core) paired with a Radeon HD 7870. When I upgraded to a Core i3-6100, I saw at least a 50% average framerate boost with no video card change, and far fewer dips. The Viper is playable now, where it would have been unusable before.

The 860K @ stock benches around 20-25% over the 640; your 10% overclock means your CPU should be about 40% faster than mine was, but your 390 is also 40% faster than my 7870 so you're still CPU-limited.

If you are CPU-limited... all you can do is find the any remaining CPU-intensive effects and dial them down. Can't really help you with advice there, except maybe try turning damage glow off because I hear that's fairly CPU-intensive. If you can upgrade to Skylake Core i-anything though, that will make a huge difference.

It makes sense. I knew I was limited by the CPU. The Athlon fits to an FM+2 socket, and its literally the best thing I can get for a gaming build with a separate GPU.
Edit* best I can get for the socket
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X‑ITX+

I was just hoping there was a secret to settings I didn't know about. Essentially it's get a cpu cooler and OC further (many have reported as much as 4.2-4.5, silicon lottery allowing) or a new motherboard and Intel processor?

Edited by Rintero Pryde, 01 November 2016 - 11:22 AM.

#5 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:27 AM

You've managed to set two of the CPU sensitive to High; Object and Envionment would need to be low on your system, just like Shadows and Particles.

The others you could set to Very High, what with your card.

You are probably gon'a have to set a framerate limit of 30~42, though your chose of means: "sys_MaxFPS" in the user.cfg (found in the games subdirectory), with RTSS (you do have Afterburner, right?), or else within the AMD driver.

Do a search of the forums for "user.cfg" and you should find some other tweaks …

#6 Rintero Pryde

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:50 AM

I appreciate the responses, I have quite a few things to try now when I get back. The r9 390 was a recent upgrade, the intent was to get out of medium settings with the game. Everyone has told me that the game is cpu intensive, but this is the first time I've heard which settings are cpu intensive specifically. I do have MSI Afterburner as well as AMD Overdrive.

Keep the advice coming, and I'll update after trying later today.

#7 Meldric Ward

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 159 posts
  • LocationTranquil

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:11 PM

I had fps issues very extremly. I tried a bunch of "solutions" and heard and red a number of people telling me my rig was just not able to handle the game...

What I did and what changed it completly, was:
Change the maximum percentage of your processor in the energy settings to something between 95 and 98%. That did the trick. Do not bother fiddling with settings of the game it does not make ANY difference up or down.

I am not saying it will help you, but for me it completly did the trick.

Check out this thread:
http://mwomercs.com/...32#entry5421632

and especially the answers of Tarl Cabot.

Hope it helps.

Edited by Meldric Ward, 01 November 2016 - 12:12 PM.

#8 Rintero Pryde

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:14 PM

View PostMeldric Ward, on 01 November 2016 - 12:11 PM, said:

I had fps issues very extremly. I tried a bunch of "solutions" and heard and red a number of people telling me my rig was just not able to handle the game...

What I did and what changed it completly, was:
Change the maximum percentage of your processor in the energy settings to something between 95 and 98%. That did the trick. Do not bother fiddling with settings of the game it does not make ANY difference up or down.

I am not saying it will help you, but for me it completly did the trick.

Check out this thread:
http://mwomercs.com/...32#entry5421632

and especially the answers of Tarl Cabot.

Hope it helps.

Worth a try. What program did you use to make this adjustment?

#9 Meldric Ward

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 159 posts
  • LocationTranquil

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:15 PM

None. It is just windows energy settings. Check out Tarl Cabots posts (#11), he has a link to a tutorial. It is a simple, 2 minutes fix and did reward me for 2 weeks of fiddling.

Edited by Meldric Ward, 01 November 2016 - 12:22 PM.

#10 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:35 PM

Try turning environment down a notch (or two). Shading you should be able to turn up a notch.

Get that CPU cooler and notch up the OC a bit if you can.

Follow the settings suggestions previously mentioned.

#11 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:31 PM

Hey i was wondering if i could get any improvement out of my lap-tato, its pretty old so i really should buy a new one in the next year or so.

G72GX gaming laptop
Intel core 2 quad Q900o, 2ghz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 260M, 1Gb
6 Gb ddr2-6400
intel PM45
740 Gb seagate momentus 7200
windows 7 home edition.

Let me know if i forgot anything im not at all computer knowledgeable, i sort of know what this stuff is but not really.

Edited: its so old im assuming i just need a new one but any improvements would be good to know.

Edited: My lap-tato is not overclocked, i wouldnt know how to, but it cant take any more heat as it is i have a bizarre system of fans, milk crates and duct tape keeping it cool currently.

Edited by VitriolicViolet, 01 November 2016 - 07:36 PM.

#12 Rintero Pryde

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:33 AM

Update: turns out my PC power settings were set to Balamced. I feel ridiculous because even before my research into PCS and building custom rigs I knew to do this. So that was set to high performance. I couldn't find any settings for CPU min/max, I'm running Windows 8.1 so I don't know if that does anything. I turned down Environment and Object Detail to Medium, I turned Damage Glow off as well, didn't realize I had this on.

Played one game on Canyon and didn't dip below 40. Will try the user.cfg thing today if I can.

Looking into the XBOX DVR thing I found that it only applies to people with Windows 10 that received something called the "Anniversary Update". I'm running 8.1, so not sure it applies.

Will let you guys know how the user.cfg thing goes.

#13 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:04 PM

Setting any framerate limit will bring up the minimums.

The higher your FPS is above 42, the less steadiness matters.

I guess you start at a 42, and walk you way up, until it starts to fluctuate …

#14 Rintero Pryde

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:28 AM

What are you using to limit framerate?

Playing consistently yesterday saw framerate of 40-70 in-game, much more playable than when I posted this topic. I appreciate all the Input.

Further research has exposed exactly how my CPU stacks compared to even mid- level Intel processors. It doesn't. A CPU/ motherboard upgrade is definitely in my future. Apparently even overclocked it still gets edged out by an Intel Pentium g3258-no overclock. I'm thinking I'll jump to an Intel i5 6600k.

Edited by Rintero Pryde, 04 November 2016 - 06:37 AM.

#15 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:49 AM

View PostRintero Pryde, on 04 November 2016 - 06:28 AM, said:

What are you using to limit framerate?

Playing consistently yesterday saw framerate of 40-70 in-game, much more playable than when I posted this topic. I appreciate all the Input.

Further research has exposed exactly how my CPU stacks compared to even mid- level Intel processors. It doesn't. A CPU/ motherboard upgrade is definitely in my future. Apparently even overclocked it still gets edged out by an Intel Pentium g3258-no overclock. I'm thinking I'll jump to an Intel i5 6600k.

AMD's Zen is around the corner
Maybe it'll stirr things up price and performance wise

Still an i5 6600k is a really good cpu and platform
Having my eye on a Samsung M2 960 evo
Some more ram with some nice led's

Those i5's are also good overclockers
I stayed at 4.5 ghz because frankly I have no more time fine tuning some more
Maybe at Christmas holiday

#16 Rintero Pryde

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:52 AM

Update: tried the user.cfg file thing. Seems nothing really worked except for the max/min fps config. I still see detail/dirt on my cockpit glass. Gonna double check after work to see that I typed it in correctly.

It was really easy, but just so the info is out there, 90%of the instructions for user.cfg files pertain to users playing straight MWO client from the website. The file trail is a little different for steam users like me. For Steam users, this is where you leave your user.cfg file after creating it:
C Drive/Programs (x86)/ steam/steamapps/common/MechWarrior Online. You'll know you're in the right place when you see another .cfg file there.

Edited by Rintero Pryde, 08 November 2016 - 06:15 AM.

#17 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:00 PM

View PostRintero Pryde, on 07 November 2016 - 06:52 AM, said:

Update: tried the user.cfg file thing. Seems nothing really worked except for the max/min fps config. I still see detail/dirt on my cockpit glass. Gonna double check after work to see that I typed it in correctly.

It was really easy, but just so the info is out there, 90%of the instructions for user.cfg files pertain to users playing straight MWO client from the website. The file trail is a little different for steam users like me. For Steam users, this is where you leave your user.cfg file after creating it:
C Drive/Programs (x86)/ steam/steamapps/MechWarrior Online. You'll know you're in the right place when you see another .cfg file there.

Well... yeah... cuz you can turn off the cockpit glass in-game now.

Good to know the Steam location, though, in case I'm ever forced into using that instead. I'm sure there are at least a few Steam users on potatoes out there that would like that info, too. Too bad PGI is absolutely horrible at publishing this kind of info.

#18 Rintero Pryde

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:17 AM

I must be missing it, how are you shutting it off from in-game settings? I've probably seen it a thousand times and thought nothing of it haha.

Ill be sure to post the Steam file path in a separate forum topic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users