12 replies to this topic

#1 Geeks On Hugs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:42 PM

I'm not really new but am a returning player after two years away (I stopped a bit after the first clan mechs arrived). I currently can't get into the game (that's one of my questions) but am working on it. Please answer any questions you can to tide me over while I figure things out!

1) I tried to run the patcher as I always did (I never uninstalled the game) but it's choking on "Validating Patch File". Any ideas? I would try uninstalling and redownloading but I'm low on hard drive space and am worried I don't have enough space for the download + install.

2) So did they give up or change the sort of campaign ideas? Basically how do things work with the clans and houses and territory and what not. My biggest complaint with the game was that it was more of a MW 5 then an "MMO". Now as a "MW 5" I thought it was awesome and maybe that's how it should have been sold then I would never have expected a true MMO...I think maybe their design never did lend itself to a true MMO so I'm returning understanding that maybe that never really happened but if you could explain what is the status of that aspect of the game?

3) What about maps? Surely there are some new maps over the last two years...tell me about them! How do you like them?

4) Lastly what else is new that I don't know to ask about or generally what do people think of the state of the game? Is it going strong? I do hope it has a long life...I have over $1,000 of Mechs on MWO! I really can't believe I spent so much on one game!

5) BTW, all my old Mechs should be safe and sound, right?

Thanks!

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:08 PM

1) You could try the steam install? I 'unno. Haven't been in that boat.

2) They added a unit MC reward for grabbing planets. And so now there's less fighting in CW. You did miss some three tukayyids though. Those were pretty awesome. Unless you were on the long waiting side of the first one. I salute all the stalwart Inner Sphere pilots who held out for that one.

3) Redesigns of all my favourite maps, making them new and different and pulling my old lovelies outta circulation! Redesigns of the CW maps. There are six of em now!

4) MASC! New Mechs! Better Hit reg! Comparative Resizing! Community Warfare got awesome, then died off and is a shadow of it's former glory! Decals!

5) Yes!

Your Welcome!

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 01 November 2016 - 10:10 PM.

#3 Reverend Herring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:27 PM

As a noob, I can't really give you answers regarding how's the game doing in relation to what was 2 years ago. Byt I can tell you, that I have never waited so long for a game to install/patch as I did/have done with MWO. If I recall correctly, the first install/patch took well over an hour to complete and there were a lot of times, when the progress bar would not move for a very, very long time. And this was during install, after download.

So I'd say start the patch and go watch a movie or something. Return in a couple hours to see if the patcher has finaly completed.

#4 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:40 AM

1) Reinstall may help....but be sure to do a CLEAN uninstall first.

2) PGI isn't even employing the term "soon" for any PvE or more than arena shooter stuff "content" anymore.
So...no there has been no significant content update since Intoduction of Clantech and the original CW.
There has been some quality of life improvements to existing stuff and a new gamemode that has been added to FP (new name for old CW) that simultaniously managed to kill FP due to not taking into account the balancing issues between clans and IS when it comes to lights and meds.
Appart from that Devs (aka Russ) goal is setting a focus on competitive gameplay. What ever that may mean.
I'm reading: "forget content buy new mechs, and do never ending flavors of deathmatch and get high on your leader board scores"
I guess the answer is: "No, realistically there will be no real Mech Warrior content any time soon, just Mech twitch shooter online"

3) There are several "new" maps/ revamped maps that essentially replaced old ones and one map that realy is new.

-- New map: Polar Highlands: a generally flat Icy area with some little bases and tiny hills and icy outcropings.
Newbys generaly find it hard to get cover against LRMs but once you opened your eyes and stopped thinking you need to aim for seconds you realize its the map with the shortest ways from cover to cover. Situational awareness and teamwork(movement!!!) makes matches so very easy on this map if your enemys are bunches of nascar runarounds.

-- Forest Colony: Essentially a new map even if there are parts that vaguely resemble arangements on old forest.
Most ppl do not like it because they get too easy distracted and can't coop with the need for fighting in more than one direction.
Daytimes on forrest can be tricky too. Night is a ***** and foggy times can be ... odd.
Static warfare is your death sentence on this map.

-- Frozen City: Take everything you dont like in a frozen wasteland and enlarge it to mech size.
A dedicated longrange map you might think and you would be right in 3 out of 5 games..the other two games you get ***** by marauding lights eating through your back armor, stalking between the frozen buildings and icy cliffs, hiding under ecm in the foggy mist that sometimes covers the map.

-- Caustic Valley: A well done overhaul of old caustic.
Take everything of the old map that sucked and add two things for every item.
Its nascar suppreme with mor sulfur day night cycle and bad view.

-- New Terra Therma: Whatch for the ground....there are places that seem solid and the only warnig you get is the noob in front of you shutting down after his first shot because he didn't realize his mech broke through ground and stood in lava.
Appart from that the map is too smal for tactical movement and has the "chokepoints" issue.
The trick is not to go to the chokepoints and keep moving, use the rugged terrain and structures to deflect lrms and fire DF weapons at enemy dumb enough to try static warfare.

4) Going strong....no.
Stable...maybe...kind of.
Comatose can be a stable state...not death but well...wanna buy an other mechpack, no ?
Well too bad there is nothing more than leveling mechs and doing the monthly and sometimes weekly grind fest events.

5) Your bought content is safe you even can check it out in your profile right here in forums.

Edited by The Basilisk, 02 November 2016 - 01:47 AM.

#5 Cerender

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 28 posts
  • LocationGreenfield, NY, USA

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:46 AM

1) For the patch... if you are that close on disk space that you are afraid to do a reinstall then I'd think you are too close to patch also. If you have not patched in years it is probably downloading something close to the full installer anyway. Worst case it is downloading all the delta's since your last patch and is taking more room then the full installer. I doubt that though. Since you say it seems to be hanging it might not have any delta's that apply.

So, my recommendation is, bite the bullet, uninstall the game, clear some space off the drive and do a fresh install. You should try to keep that free space bar out of the red. I think this will keep you from having future patch issues also.

Nothing to add for the other questions besides, Welcome Back!!

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:53 AM

Delete the old patch files. MWO keeps a cache of patch files for one and a quarter years. All these patches in their compressed form still exist on your computer. Best to reinstall. Steam version doesn't store old patches on your computer.

#7 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:19 AM

I'd go for the Steam install as well. It installs and updates really smooth, but make sure you've got that disc space free.

#8 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:22 AM

Newb, so not much in way of retrospective changes. That said...

IMO, Hard drives are cheap. Get a second one, install that and run MWO off the other drive. Uninstalling/reinstalling is not a problem. it'll take a little time, but it's easy.

Also: looking forward roadmap.
http://mwomercs.com/...98#entry5459798

Edited by ScottAleric, 02 November 2016 - 08:22 AM.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:15 AM

2) I'm glad it wasn't sold as an mw5, it would have been really disappointing without quality single player elements. Which it would have had (look up mw5 trailer) but back then Jordan Weissman was part of it (original co founder of FASA and Battletech) and guiding PGI. Anyway, Jordan's making G a new battletech game for the PC. Looking forwardto it.

There's mission based faction warfare but other than locations it really lacks variety.

3) new maps and remade ones, most of the old maps are now a lot bigger.

4) energy draw, when it gets into MWO.

5) yes.

#10 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:36 AM

Since you left Faction Play (formaly known as Comunity Warfare) has been introduced, that is a pretty big one, coming with new game modes and maps, the Invasion game mode involves 2 12 player teams, each player must bring 4 Mechs which fall within the tonnage limits (currently 160-250 tons), when 1 Mech is destroyed you respawn in another.
The objective is to destroy/defend (depending on which team) an orbital gun and it's generators, if the gun is disabled the attackers win.
Counter attack has the "attacker" having already taken the Base, which is disabled, for the "defender" to win they have to take out the mobile field Base and kill the majority of the attackers
Scouting has you "gather intel" by standing on Intel points for a few seconds to capture them, then a dropship shows up to colect the attackers, if 1 or more attacker gets away the attackers keep all the Intel they gathered, otherwise the defenders keep the Intel they gathered.
The Intel is used to get some advantages for invasion
New game mode, Domination,
There is a domination location somewhere near the centre of the map, if 1 team has someone in it and the other does nit that teams timer counts down, when a teams timer reaches 0 that team wins, regardless of number of surviving Mechs, if the game time ends before there is a clear winner the team with the lower time wins
Conquest has been altered so the game only ends when the counter reaches 750, even if one team destroys all Mechs on the other the game does not end unless the surviving team is guarenteed a win on caps

Most maps have been overhauled including major redesigns of Terra Therma, Forrest Colony, River City and Frozen City, unfortunately the redesigns were not all for the bestMost Mechs have been rescaled by volume, meanung the Commado now has within 0.5% a quater the volume of the Atlas, that has helped some Mechs (Locust had a significant size reduction) and hurt others (30-3d ton Mechs)

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 02 November 2016 - 09:42 AM.

#11 Geeks On Hugs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 16 February 2021 - 11:18 PM

Back after 6 years... :-P

I was using my iMac (w/ bootcamp of course) before...now I've got an Alienware. Should be fun.

#12 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 16 February 2021 - 11:36 PM

Warrior to Warrior: a warm back to MWO !

[Edit]Necro thread--horrified[/Edit]

Edited by w0qj, 01 March 2021 - 08:59 AM.

#13 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 February 2021 - 03:02 AM

I recommend installing via Steam. People seem to have less problems with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users