- - - - -

Std Engine In A Clan Mech?

10 replies to this topic

#1 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:08 AM

Is there any reason I should or shouldn't put an STD engine in a Clan Mech?

I have been trying out the Highlander HGN-IIC-C(C) in the trail Mechs and enjoyed it so I may buy three.

I played with some loadouts on smurfy's and I noticed that I could put the largest standard engine in it and still get a pretty good load out.

Would using a STD engine in it make it any harder to kill?

#2 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:14 AM

STD engines really serve no purpose in a clan mech. By the time you lose both torsos, you really aren't super effective in combat anyway. The only advantage it serves is that you don't lose speed or twisting ability if you lose a torso. However, the benefits outweigh the risks. You can place so much more firepower, and are so much faster with a clan XL.

#3 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:17 AM

Only if you absolutelly need 2 more critical slots in a side torso...

Pretty much... The only answer is... Two gauss Rifles in a side torso

#4 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:01 PM

There are only a very small select set of Clan mechs where a std motor makes sense.

Beyond twin gauss in a ST, there are a couple "zombie" builds out there. Pretty rare though.

#5 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:00 PM

Zombie Hunch

That's an example of a STD engine build for the Hunchback-IIC-C

The idea behind it is to shield with the whole left torso section (including arm as a shield) without sacrificing speed or heatmanagement. Once the left torso is gone and the center soaked enough reduced damage it can start shielding with the right torso section (There is a free C.A.S.E. build into every sidetorso section so the UAC20 health won't damage the center if, by chance, a second crit (or single IS AC20 crit) is rolled against it).

Even with both sides gone it can still run and gun with 10 heatsinks, 2 medium laser and no speed or heat issues.

It is basically a hotter running, harder hitting and jump capable version of the IS HunchZed.

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 02 November 2016 - 01:08 PM.

#6 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:32 PM

There's basically no reason to ever bring a STD engine in a clan mech, even if you can survive with a zombie build with only CT and head weapons you'd still have done better with an XL engine due to being able to just bring more firepower and cooling during the time you weren't completely broke up. Its better to try and learn how to get out as much damage out as possible without taking much in return than to just be ready to be a punching bag anyway.

#7 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:39 PM

Thanks all for your help.

I’ve decided to buy the Highlander HGN-IIC, HGN-IIC-B and the HGN-IIC-C and master them.

Do I need to buy each one separately or can I get some kind of package deal?

#8 ProfPyro

• PipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:07 PM

You'd have to buy the whole origins pack for real boy $ to get the Highlanders. If you buy with C-bills there is no bulk discount.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:49 AM

View PostKimberm1911, on 02 November 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

STD engines really serve no purpose in a clan mech. By the time you lose both torsos, you really aren't super effective in combat anyway. The only advantage it serves is that you don't lose speed or twisting ability if you lose a torso. However, the benefits outweigh the risks. You can place so much more firepower, and are so much faster with a clan XL.

Or to avoid loss in heat dissipation and capacity (threshold aka max heat). The suffering caused by the loss of a side torso with an XL engine (40% cut to total heatsinks built into engine and in engine slots) can be devastating in certain mechs.

I'm not personally sure if it is worth doubling the engine weight (std) in order to avoid that, however.

Edited by Koniving, 04 November 2016 - 01:24 AM.

#10 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:52 AM

View PostLMP, on 03 November 2016 - 05:39 PM, said:

Thanks all for your help.

I’ve decided to buy the Highlander HGN-IIC, HGN-IIC-B and the HGN-IIC-C and master them.

Do I need to buy each one separately or can I get some kind of package deal?

There will be a sale on the Origin IIC package starting from monday 21th to monday 28th this month. You could get the whole package for 64$ instead of 80$.

Although, i would highly recommend to not buy the package unless you really really reaaaaaally want the 4 IIC (O) 'mechs (those with custom camo and 30% c-bills boost).

Since PGI came up with some really stupid "early adoption" program, you will miss out on 20% of the mechs and 33% of the premium time (and some other minor stuff) if you buy the package now instead of way back when.

There is also an upcoming bonus for MC purchases, and since you could buy IIC 'mechs with MC it could technically count as a discount. Again, i wouldn't recommend getting your IIC 'mechs this way either.

Just for completion, there will be a sale on hero mechs (mechs with c-bills boost and unique camo). IIC (O) 'mechs, featuring both boost and camo, obviously do not count as "heros" and can not be purchased as standalone 'mechs.
Ask PGI why, i can't make up a plausable reason for that. :<

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 06 November 2016 - 01:54 AM.

#11 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:41 AM

the only reasons I can think of are:
you need the extra 4 slots (2 on each side) and not the extra tons an XL engine gives you
you want to survive loosing both sides (but you will rarely have much firepower left)
you want to use a shield side and not loose speed or cooling on loosing that side torso
you cannot afford the XL you want

I have tried running Clan "zombie" Mechs but the trade-off did not seem worthwhile in my experience

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users