69 replies to this topic

#21 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:55 AM

Your thread title is misleading.

"revived" indicates it was alive at one point in time. Well, with all those people having a hate ***** for PGI nowadays it will maybe get a playerbase bigger than 200 dudes. Which probably would be an all time high.

#22 Kargush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:07 AM

View Postmartian, on 03 November 2016 - 12:53 AM, said:

Before I download it: What tanks are in MWLL?

The fun ones.

Want quad AC5? They have it. Laser vomit? Oh yeah! AC40? Can do! Artillery? Go for it!

#23 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:06 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 03 November 2016 - 12:55 AM, said:

Your thread title is misleading.

"revived" indicates it was alive at one point in time. Well, with all those people having a hate ***** for PGI nowadays it will maybe get a playerbase bigger than 200 dudes. Which probably would be an all time high.

well it is a version tick with a longer change log than the last 3 mwo patches combined.

but i tell you wat, i gave it another go, played 2 hours of solaris deathmatch, and i havent had that much fun in a mech game since 2013. you know, around the time i swtiched from mwll to mwo.

rose colored glasses aside, mwo is mostly just fluff and polish, but no substance. living legends has a solid essence, but is crude and kludgy in some ways, and utterly glorious in others.

Edited by LordNothing, 03 November 2016 - 02:10 AM.

#24 Jesoo_Creesto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:15 AM

View PostWarlord Kentax, on 02 November 2016 - 09:55 PM, said:

Who is even developing this?
That is a good question, looks like nobody has absolutely any idea of who is doing that!

#25 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:47 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 03 November 2016 - 02:06 AM, said:

living legends has a solid essence

well, it always lacked a pretty important essence for a multiplayer mod: the "multi" part of "player". Despite being pretty much the only thing this oh so IP loyal customer base had for years, it never got anywhere. The total playerbase was always abysmally small, even during its haydays, though it was easily accessible and literally among the first few hits when you simply googled "Mechwarrior" (thats how i got into it). A lot of people are quick to claim ML:LL was countless times better than MWO is, and the only reason MWO had its "success" because there is nothing else available. They somehow forget MW:LL didn't have much notable success even for a mod despite being the only thing available. Having more servers than players online doesn't exactly scream "this is a great mod".

Not trying to hate on MW:LL or talk the mod down. It's something different than MWO, some like it better others don't. Whether you like it or not, you have to give respect for the creators, they did an amazing work considering it was a free mod project. But i often feel people are blowing MW:LL out of proportion when talking about it. The rose colored glasses are massive.

#26 FalconerGray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:55 AM

Had a great time in a Solaris drop. Finally piloting is a challenge in it's own again and the mechs actually feel slow, heavy and cumbersome....and then I ended up in a heavy Tank. Now that was a difficult thing to pilot.

LordNothing summed it up pretty well for me. MWLL is quite crude and awkward in many ways, but to me is far more entertaining and rewarding.

As for the comment above and why MWLL never took off, I was aware of it from the get go, but there were many barriers that kept me away back then that cease to exist now. Mostly related to internet. Playing a multiplayer only game was a much bigger red flag for me in 2009 and the thought of downloading such a big program was also something of an issue. On top of that, there were a lot of question marks due to it being a mod, rather than a standalone game.

But that was then, this is now and I've just had a blast playing Living Legends. Looking forward to more.

#27 Stone Wall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:59 AM

What could be more rewarding than Hiding Behind Rocks Online?

#28 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:16 AM

View PostKargush, on 03 November 2016 - 01:07 AM, said:

The fun ones.

Want quad AC5? They have it. Laser vomit? Oh yeah! AC40? Can do! Artillery? Go for it!

Could you simply list types?

#29 Kargush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:19 AM

View Postmartian, on 03 November 2016 - 03:16 AM, said:

Could you simply list types?

While tempting to throw in a "let me google that for you" I shall simply throw you a link to the MWLL wiki vehicle section. I couldn't find any indication that they changed the types available.

#30 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:28 AM

View PostKargush, on 03 November 2016 - 03:19 AM, said:

While tempting to throw in a "let me google that for you" I shall simply throw you a link to the MWLL wiki vehicle section. I couldn't find any indication that they changed the types available.

Good.

#31 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:49 AM

I suspect whomever is hosting this is going to be getting a visit from Boughton and/or a cease and desist letter.
Then again, as PGI often seems wholly unaware of what is going on in their own game -especially when it comes to those issues raised in their own forums- perhaps it will be some time before they even become aware that this revived MWLL even exists.

Oh...on man...tin foil hat time:
Maybe PGI is who is behind MWLL now! Maybe all this big "just you wait until mechcon" secret, amazing, coming soon announcement BS has all been about this! PGI is taking over MWLL, because they can't figure out how to make their game work, and here is sitting a working game that people like, essentially free for the taking.

All the new hires at PGI despite nothing new in this game. The secrecy.
It all makes sense now! MWO is to become MWLL!! That is the big Mechcon announcement!!!!

#32 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:21 AM

Sorry Bud, Mechcon is a joke. Remember the Mechcon when they announced lone wolf, loyalist and merc. You get where I'm going with this, right ?

In any case I don't expect MWO getting to change into an actual Mechwarrior game, it will stay as is with minor changes that is it.
I did try the PTS ED thing, not impressed, better off sticking with ghost heat. All in all what makes MWLL closer to Battletech is the fact that there is a combined arms side to it which also gives a refreshing change of pace, even if its still just a arena shooter. MWLL is less repetitive as you can feel scale with a tank, battle armor or fly around, Mechs are still the most powerful thing around but you have options, on the plus side getting a Mech kill with a tank gives a sense of achievement. Graphic are not as good, controls feels clunky as well as the animations but the game play !!!!! im not one for only mutiplayer shooters but MWLL was my exception.

The tin foil hat moment, again sorry Bud you know as well as I that PGI will make a big announcement to deliver the quarter of it, don't expect a game changer here they will just go from BBQ sauce to Worcestershire sauce.

#33 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:26 AM

View PostTheLuc, on 03 November 2016 - 04:21 AM, said:

Sorry Bud, Mechcon is a joke. Remember the Mechcon when they announced lone wolf, loyalist and merc. You get where I'm going with this, right ?

The tin foil hat moment, again sorry Bud you know as well as I that PGI will make a big announcement to deliver the quarter of it, don't expect a game changer here they will just go from BBQ sauce to Worcestershire sauce.

Yeah. Posted Image

Alas, the reality, in re MWLL, is that I fully expect that whomever is hosting it is going to be getting a take down notice pretty quick. My tin foil moment would be hilarious though if it were true.

#34 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:48 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 03 November 2016 - 04:26 AM, said:

Alas, the reality, in re MWLL, is that I fully expect that whomever is hosting it is going to be getting a take down notice pretty quick.

And why would that be the case?

http://www.mechlivin...the-founders-3/

"First and foremost there has not, nor has there ever been, any legal action or threat of legal action leveraged against the MechWarrior: Living Legends development team. This was an assumption of a small amount of volunteers based on incomplete information."

Edited by meteorol, 03 November 2016 - 04:48 AM.

#35 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:03 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 03 November 2016 - 04:48 AM, said:

And why would that be the case?

http://www.mechlivin...the-founders-3/

"First and foremost there has not, nor has there ever been, any legal action or threat of legal action leveraged against the MechWarrior: Living Legends development team. This was an assumption of a small amount of volunteers based on incomplete information."

Believe as you will. But if this place has a sudden drop in population, I expect PGI would want to do something to get those potential customers back here. They may not have had anything to do with LL going quiet before, but that was then, this is now.

#36 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:05 AM

View Postmartian, on 03 November 2016 - 12:53 AM, said:

Before I download it: What tanks are in MWLL?

See that's what we need here.
Yeah yeah I know it's mechwarrior, but think of the possibilities.
PGI why why.....

#37 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:15 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 03 November 2016 - 04:26 AM, said:

Yeah. Posted Image

Alas, the reality, in re MWLL, is that I fully expect that whomever is hosting it is going to be getting a take down notice pretty quick. My tin foil moment would be hilarious though if it were true.

Actually I doubt it also, MWLL has been running this whole time I have played a few events in the last couple months called the Chaos March. I will say it was fun... but the gameplay eventually just devolved into shooting ATM over the hills at the enemy team which got incredibly boring...

#38 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:28 AM

It's cute that it's being revived.

But if it's going to become a real thing to actually rival MWO I think it would require that they port it to a new engine and make the combat and graphics feel like an actual up to date modern game.

For all it's flaws MWO has a good flow of combat and graphics, it's a bit dated but still feels like an actual game of today mostly.

MWLL just feels very old in terms of graphics, design and animation, I know a lot of people will say they don't care, but when it comes to actually gaining a proper player base of a few thousand players and rivaling a contemporary title, it's unfortunately going to make all the difference.

I'd love if MWLL could get updated enough to actually rival MWO, competition would be great for MWO's development I think. But looking at the screenshots I'm just not convinced of that yet.

I think it will be "revived" in the sense of getting a couple hundred players, enough to get it going as a very niche small community hobby. That community will have a super solid mod to play and be proud of, and rightly so, but it won't be enough to rival or influence MWO. I'd love to be wrong here, PGI need some competition, they need to stop taking this battletech fanbase that funds their company for granted, so I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Sjorpha, 03 November 2016 - 05:31 AM.

#39 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:51 AM

I would laugh if PGI went and did something about this within the week, while balancing via text edits takes years

It would go to show where their priorities lie.

#40 Stone Wall

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:13 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 03 November 2016 - 05:03 AM, said:

Believe as you will. But if this place has a sudden drop in population, I expect PGI would want to do something to get those potential customers back here. They may not have had anything to do with LL going quiet before, but that was then, this is now.

If that happened, a good amount of players will still be buying(getting hosed) Mech Packs, because they don't know what a good MechWarrior game is, but they sure enjoy 2 shotting in their pay2win Assault Mech Packs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users