- - - - -

I Cant Choose My Next Mech

9 replies to this topic

#1 boss642296niicc

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:07 AM

I love my kdk-3( http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6ceb532cbacdf0d )

but i want to try something else.

maybe Atlas ddc (http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d7d08493ce908cc)

or

banshee 3m ( http://mwo.smurfy-ne...50644b490553907 )

or dire wolf-b ( http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0ab752038e573a4 )

what will be the best and why?

#2 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:33 AM

I'd go for an Atlas-S. It brings a similar brawling build as the DDC but without the ECM (btw, your smurfy build also lacks ECM, always take ECM when able). Instead it can take more SRMs for a bigger short range punch. AC/20, 4 SRM6/4 ASRM4 and a few ML are my preferred set-up.

Another thing about that DDC build of yours is that it's still using single heatsinks. These should never be used except in a few extreme cases. Just click that DHS upgrade in the lower left and you'll see that while removing 8 tons in SHS your heat efficiency will only drop 1%. Replace some of those removed SHS with DHS and you'll run cooler.

Lastly I see it uses Ferro Fibrous armor. Never use FF when not already having the Endo Steel upgrade. Both cost the same amount of space in terms of slots but Endo gives a bigger weight savings than FF, making it ALWAYS the better option.
Though expensive it's usually worth it to replace FF on a mech with Endo for the extra weight savings. Usually only Light mechs have both upgrades (exception for Clan mechs but that's because they only pay half slots for the upgrades, though they are locked in for omni-mechs [but not Clan BattleMechs like the Kodiak, just to keep things simple?).

#3 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:39 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 03 November 2016 - 01:33 AM, said:

I'd go for an Atlas-S. It brings a similar brawling build as the DDC but without the ECM (btw, your smurfy build also lacks ECM, always take ECM when able). Instead it can take more SRMs for a bigger short range punch. AC/20, 4 SRM6/4 ASRM4 and a few ML are my preferred set-up.

Another thing about that DDC build of yours is that it's still using single heatsinks. These should never be used except in a few extreme cases. Just click that DHS upgrade in the lower left and you'll see that while removing 8 tons in SHS your heat efficiency will only drop 1%. Replace some of those removed SHS with DHS and you'll run cooler.

Just a question, because I am also considering the Atlas as my next mech. Are there other builds for the Atlas different from the "classic" SRMs + AC/20 one? From what I read it's the only "viable" build for this mech. Is it true?

#4 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:39 AM

View Postinvernomuto, on 03 November 2016 - 01:39 AM, said:

Just a question, because I am also considering the Atlas as my next mech. Are there other builds for the Atlas different from the "classic" SRMs + AC/20 one? From what I read it's the only "viable" build for this mech. Is it true?

More or less.
-They do not take well to XLs, which in turn tends to mean they are very slow.
-most of the weapon hardpoints are very low

That said, Im sure some "special" pilot will chime in about how they get 1700dmg per match using all long weapons on an Atlas.

#5 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:13 AM

Hi there,
Me I would go with the Atlas AS7-D-DC for the ECM cover and also those structure quirks that makes it very durable, yes the DDC draws lots of fire form the opponents but still wont go down easy.

here is a small correction of the build you suggested,
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ca73633bf87453e

Always choose Endo-Steel before ferro-fibrous, it free up more tonnage for same space, also you always need double heat sinks as they dissipate heat faster allowing you to fire more often. When mounting multiple SRM launchers keep same type so they can fire all at once since the reloading time for SRM 2, 4 and 6 are not the same. I must point out that SRM4 is a favorite of many players as the spread effect is not too bad, reloading time is quite fast and for decent damage. When mounting ammo in a side torso of a IS Mech with a STD Engine try to put the C.A.S.E in too to minimize damage to your center torso when a ammo explosion occurs, staying in the match the longest possible is more CBills to spend afterwards. :)

Second choice would be the Banshee BNC-3M, can be a fast Mech for its size, as an energy boat there is no ammo to worry about and usually its not too focused on.

Here is how I would go with the BNC-3M,
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...89d30fbb27c13c4

As you can notice I replaced the XL360 engine for a STD350, gives a bit less speed but more durable, one large pulse laser was also removed as the cooling efficiency at 25% makes it hard to manage, yes it may hit hard but once the Mech is shut down it will be a juicy target that will get focused on. The more you can fire, the better the CBills will be.

Leave us with the Dire Wolf DWF-B, this Mech can mount an incredible number of weapons but at a heavy cost, the DWF-B is almost a turret and gets lots of unwanted attention from the opponents but when the Dire Wolf fires, it cripples the Mech in front of it.

here is a suggested build
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6dea53674c2e0b1

For this I did try to put in a balance of hitting power and heat management, ER Large Lasers for long range that can be also be of use when brawling. One ER Large Laser in center torso and two more in the left arm for a 33 points of damage. The Ultra AC/5s can be fired all at once for 15 points of damage or can be fired one after the other ( called chainfire and when selecting a weapon group hit Backspace to engage or turn off the chainfire mode in case you didn't know ) I personally prefer chainfire to avoid that weapon jam that might occur with Ultra ACs, as a plus it tends to blind the opponent. A Targeting Computer MK1 to gain a little boost for the weapons performance, lots of double heat sinks and two machine guns to fill the tonnage that can be of use if a little pesky light Mech tries to take you on. But dont forget the DWF-B is a snail.

#6 Horse Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:46 AM

Do you like to engage the enemy at close range 0-300 Yards, Medium range 300-600 or long range 600+. The Atlas build you are considering is a close range mech with SRM's and an AC20.
The Banshee and the Direwolf would give the a lot more options at longer range but also have drawbacks the Atlas does not.
I am a loyal and loving Direwolf pilot so my opinion is biased, if you can get past the complete lack of speed they are a power house.

#7 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:28 AM

Invernomuto, you can pretty much do what you like with the Atlas D-DC, it will work but just keep in mind that it is slow and will attracts lots of fire from the opponents

#8 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:32 AM

View Postinvernomuto, on 03 November 2016 - 01:39 AM, said:

Yes. It's the only viable build. For low level PUGging, you can probably get away with other builds but you'll be playing away from the chassis's (limited) strengths.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:38 AM

Atlas will be best because it is an Atlas, one of the best Brawler Assualts, and it can take ECM, provided you take a Standard engine and know how to twist to spread damage it can absorb a huge amount of punishment.

Dire Wolf is best because it can take more tonnage for weapons than almost any other Mech, however it is also the worst because it is (from my perspective) way too slow in every way imaginable

I have never piloted Banshees (by the time they were released I had realised that most assaults are too slow for me) so I cannot say if/why that is the best

#10 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:14 PM

i run my D with 2 LB10Xs 3ml and 1 lrm 10 and my DDC with an ac10 grouped with a uac5 and 2 LL. Ballistic 10s and maybe 5s got an ammo amount boost some time ago...

Edited by Gorantir, 03 November 2016 - 12:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users