Lurms For Novices.

Weapons

103 replies to this topic

#41 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:01 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 04 November 2016 - 10:00 PM, said:

#1. And this cannot be understated carry a damn tag.

#3. Be aware that no one is watching your back have some decent backup weapons.

#7. Never go full lurm that's just stupid refer to rule #3.

No. Posted Image

#42 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:04 PM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 06 November 2016 - 10:51 PM, said:

I have a lot of respect for you Novakaine but I have an issue with your screenshot. I know that a hunchie J back in the days could pick mechs apart but 7 kills and 440 damage. There must have been some slightly annoyed people you were stealing kills off of then.

Srry man, just had to point that out. Other than that, the points he makes are gold for any lurmer, words to live by.

Running a J on Alpine, yeah I'm sure he was 'securing' a lot of kills. Hard to play at 500m, a lot of cover to cover distances are 700-800m so, if I don't miss my guess, he was starting the LRM5 Chain Rain but due to time to target they were eating direct fire from teammates as well. Since the Chain Rain provides literally almost constant damage, almost all CT, it's prone to get the kill.

To be fair though getting that sort of rain on Alpine pretty much shuts people down, making the kill much easier.

Plus it was team queue, see how many got 7 assists? One of them probably had tag/narc for him too. Just good focus fire.

That's an example though of why some people hate LRMs. A lot of builds are really, really good at kill stealing.

#43 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:05 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 06 November 2016 - 11:01 PM, said:

No. Posted Image

Oh god. I just remembered something I had repressed from a relatively recent match. An Ebon Jaguar running 4x15 launchers and a single TAG. That's it. This is the sort of thing that would get you axed from the warrior caste as a sibko, but noooo. I have to pilot with these people.

#44 Carl Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:07 PM

Hunchie J back has 2 slots from memory and back in the day was uber quirked and could fire those lurm 10s at the same rate as a stalker with lurm 60. They were pure gold for making money. Ill never sell mine and I knew of someone who played CW at the time who ran 4 of them and racked up massive scores every match.

#45 HauptmanT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:25 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 06 November 2016 - 10:50 PM, said:

I seriously have no clue how you can run LRM 20's and feel like they're useful. If I'm running my Mad Dog or Timber Wolf Prime loadouts, 2x20's is PAINFUL to run, while 4x10's actually do a good job. But, whatever floats your boat as long as you don't claim it's superior and make some poor sod struggle needlessly. I run lore builds almost solely, but I don't claim they're better than optimized setups.

Hellbringer only has 2 missile hardpoints. Not an option on this chassis. Almost mastered so wont be a thing for much longer.

#46 HauptmanT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:35 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 06 November 2016 - 11:01 PM, said:

No. Posted Image

Bah too much blind firing where you kept shooting even when you never hit the target.

#47 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:11 AM

View PostHauptmanT, on 06 November 2016 - 11:35 PM, said:

Bah too much blind firing where you kept shooting even when you never hit the target.

On the first match maybe, but my overall LRM5 accuracy is 43%, which is superior than vast majority of the players'.

Edited by El Bandito, 07 November 2016 - 12:22 AM.

#48 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:21 AM

View PostHauptmanT, on 05 November 2016 - 11:50 AM, said:

LoL at the try hards. Coming in here telling us "LRM20 bad" yet not even smart enough to explain why they would even have that opinion. Probably just had someone else tell them, so they repeat it.

Thanks for adding absolutely zero to the thread except nay-say.

I call bullsxxt on that, because those LRM 20s are actually working for me. I've watched the videos of people saying "Use small launchers" too. Yet never an explanation why. Damage spread? I'm a clanner, my missiles stream not swarm. Rate of fire? I dont need to be in the open as often getting shot at. Weight? Only IS LRM5s save weight, not the clan variants.

I'm a new scrub, been playing for a couple months. so if you have good info share it. Dont just come in here saying "wrong" and nothing else.

Never a need to take LRM20s...you'll figure it out. Or maybe you won't.

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 November 2016 - 12:11 AM, said:

On that match maybe, but my overall LRM5 accuracy is 43%, which is superior than vast majority of the players'.

Nice...good to know I've got better LRM5 accuracy than you heh.

#49 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:06 AM

I'm a LURM lover personally, and here's some tips for LURMERS that most people won't tell you, or will say otherwise, but I've seen them work in action and have concluded thus:

1) Clan Active probe / BAP, TAG and NARC are helpful.. but NOT necessary. Just stay in medium to close range behind cover and you WILL get plenty of locks. You can even lock ECM covered targets if your buddies or yourself are close enough, it only takes longer.

2) Stay on target as much as possible. Good locks will get you damage.. but sometimes, dumbfire your missiles if you're shooting a stationary target. Yes, indeed, some people are too dumb to move, or are shut down from overheat. You can't lock them then, but your missiles STILL DO DAMAGE, even without lock.

3) Pick your targets! Your target triage should look something like this: Countered ECM Mech > Nearly dead cored-out/cherry red mech > Slow moving assault > Enemy LRM boat > Any other target available.

4) If you are a dedicated LRM boat, still ALWAYS bring secondary weapons. And no, 2 x small lasers doesn't count as backup weapons.

5) People say its bad to put LRM's on an assault. WRONG. If you are a slow snail, LRM's will help you hit enemies before you can bring that AC20 into range. But don't just stand back. Move up and use ALL your weapons. Also, sometimes its hard to maneuver a big-*** mech, so LRM's will help you hit at least something when you have to shoot over your buddies heads.

6) If somebody NARCs.. USE IT!

7) If you have a good lock, but are staring into a wall, or you see the target is behind tall cover, move your cursor high up, or to the side, fire your missiles, and snap back to the target before you loose lock. This way, you can bend LRM's over and around some cover and shoot from behind a corner, while staying in full cover.

8) Sadly, 4 x LRM5's are better than a single LRM20. They will strip the enemy quicker, and waste fewer missiles. You can chain fire them and if you loose lock, don't have to waste 20 missiles, maybe just 10 or 15.. If you have the hardpoints, invest. Also a constant stream of missiles will annoy, disorient and mess with enemy targeting. Any good player will look for cover from this. Its like indirect dakka.

9) If the enemy has more than one AMS, your missiles won't be hitting squat. 1 AMS = minus 5 missiles per salvo. If you see more than one AMS firing, look for other targets. There are always other targets.

10) Clan LRM's do very little damage closer than 180 meters. They register hits, but the damage is negligible. Stay more than 200m away from your target.

11) UAVs are your best bet at getting locks. Use UAVs..

12) FLOW WITH YOUR TEAM! This means: stay with your team and lance, but be in the second line. Use their locks, and fire over their heads. But DON'T BLOCK THEM.. if they are backing up, they have good reason to do so. Best to stay in medium to close range from the enemy, and behind a wall of friendly assaults.

13) If you are in close range, your target has almost NO TIME to dodge and look for cover from your missiles. If you are 900 meters away, the target must practically be stationary to get hit.

There.. These should help.

Edited by Vellron2005, 07 November 2016 - 04:08 AM.

#50 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:51 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 07 November 2016 - 04:06 AM, said:

13) If you are in close range, your target has almost NO TIME to dodge and look for cover from your missiles. If you are 900 meters away, the target must practically be stationary to get hit.

There.. These should help.

14) A little LRM5 here or a LRM10 there does not hit the sniper poking at 900m, but it helps in supressing him.

15) Organize your ammo! (I use 1/6 - 1/3 for early supression and helping the lights doing, but do not much damage with it, 1/2 to 4/6 of my ammo is for the mainfight (thats where i do and take damage and mostly use selftargeting) and the last 1/6 is for the end, where the a single salvo can remove that last weapon or kill the open enemys (having that last ton helps a lot, if iam near cored after beeing too brave or stupid again).)

Edited by Kroete, 07 November 2016 - 06:52 AM.

#51 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:11 AM

Summoner/Loki has quirks on one of the omnipoids giving that one alone -10% LRM spread. The other pods give little more but that one thing has that much.

I've tried different Summoner LRM builds with 5 launchers(with 5 of them you don't have any other hardpoints), and even though I need to have it with 0 armor to carry enough ammo, the 5x15 non-artemis has been the best. In open groud even things like Locust are easy luch for that, because the higher spread makes it hit more againts moving fast targets.

So for Summoner I guess even LRM20 can work well. Aftter I got Archer with 9 missile hardpoints I reconfigured my Clan LRM boats for other loadouts and played like that for two months, but now I'm trying the 5xlaucnher Summoner again this time with artemis. Can't have 5x15 with artemis unfortunately.

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 07 November 2016 - 08:11 AM.

#52 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:43 AM

the most Backstand LRM Sissys more Terraforming as hit the Target ,or spray all the Damage over the enemy Team with very Hight Damage ,and no destroyed Components ,Crits or Kills ...1000 dmg split by 12 Mechs is nothing and useless

Tourmaline -last mech in Team is a Madcat , 2x20 LRMs/4 MLaser with 99% amor ...I`m in Medium Crab have doing 2 Kills (the only Kills of my Team) a Wolverine and in Solokill a Dire...to end ,the Madcat stand miles away from Team alone against 10 enemys ...my comment "Stand alone-die alone" back Comment from the cat "im Having with 700 dmg more doing for the team as you with 200 dmg)

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 07 November 2016 - 08:52 AM.

#53 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:27 AM

View PostKroete, on 07 November 2016 - 06:51 AM, said:

14) A little LRM5 here or a LRM10 there does not hit the sniper poking at 900m, but it helps in supressing him.

15) Organize your ammo! (I use 1/6 - 1/3 for early supression and helping the lights doing, but do not much damage with it, 1/2 to 4/6 of my ammo is for the mainfight (thats where i do and take damage and mostly use selftargeting) and the last 1/6 is for the end, where the a single salvo can remove that last weapon or kill the open enemys (having that last ton helps a lot, if iam near cored after beeing too brave or stupid again).)

Well, yes, LRM5 or LRM10 is usually enough for the target to move, when it gets a missile warning, although some maps have spots where you can snipe and have cover from above or from the surrounding buildings..

LRM's are generally very good at controlling the battlefield. A continuous stream will send the target scampering for cover real quick..

When it comes to ammo, I always try to have a minimum of 1Ton /5 tubes. 2 tons / 5 tubes is optimal. Anything better than that is awesome ;-)

#54 SIERRA 116

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationReach

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:23 AM

So...

Aren't Clan LRMs supposed to be able to be used point-blank?

No minimum range and all that. Or at least, how they are originally.

#55 Potatomasher69

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:48 AM

I feel like there is lots of misinformation in here about lurms.

When being fired at by LURMS I have noticed that if I use Jump Jets or Backpedal away from them, they hit me on the legs. I have noticed they hit me all over the side torso and even the back torsos if I turn while running away and towards them. In fact, they seem to have a sort of lag, in their response to movement. I don't think testing on a stationary target means anything in terms of determining the best tube size for LRMs in the field, unless you are speaking about a stationary target.

I've used 5's and 20's, I've noticed with 5's I can indeed have a secondary role, more speed, and all the sensory toys I need to help the information war. I have noticed that LRM 2x20 can kill a moving target better then LRM 4x5. I know 4x5 doesn't equal 2x20, but my primary LURM boat is a BB and it only has four hardpoints.

One thing is for certain, while using LRM 4x5, I certainly can help finish targets with 3MPLs. But my role as indirect fire most certainly seems more effective with 2xLRM20.

Some Assaults with LRMs are potatoes, other Assaults with LRMs are assaults trying to evolve vs a tough laser dominated meta.

#56 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:31 PM

Chose your missile type for how you like your lrms too. Is has a massive wall of lrm in a salvo. Clan streams them out. Some times you just have to fire en mass when the pugs are playing with a lot of ams. I like the IS lrm better but that's just me.

#57 Judah Malganis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 214 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:53 PM

It can't be reiterated enough that one of the keys to good performance with LRMs is to stick to the team. Staying too far from the fight gives the enemy too much time to dodge your missile even if your locks are judicious, and getting too isolated often sets you up to get wrecked by the enemy ankle-biters, particulaly in a fatter heavy or assault. It also helps to have backup weapons that you can use to poke/push and clean up opened sections on your enemies. A LRM boat showing their face will attract a lot of hate, giving members of your team a few seconds of rest from enemy fire, and if you're in the middle of your pack and the enemy is dumb enough to crest over and chase you as you move to cover after you've waved hello, your team will melt their faces.

Edited by Judah Malganis, 18 November 2017 - 05:58 PM.

#58 SteelMantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 179 posts
  • Locationon the shifting sands of the meta

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:35 PM

I disagree with some of the opinions in this thread but that's fine, everybody has a different play style.

I use Assaults to boat LRMs for the same reason I use 20s, there has been a lot of AMS since summer and a high tube count can punch through them. Of course Assaults have more tonnage than missile hardpoints and plenty of ammo.

Personally I always use Artemis and Tag and usually try to get my own locks while pushing with the team up to 200-300 meters. The biggest mistake I see new LRMers make is staying back around 800 meters. LRMs are easy to avoid at that range and when the lights come for you (and they will, lights love to follow the LRM stream back to the source) you will be alone back there. Stay with the team, do more damage and lure the lights into a suicide run.

I do some other things some people might disagree with, use Clan LRMs at 50 meters if I have spare heat and I'm under pressure (gotten several kills that way) and fire into walls on purpose (because the missile lock warning slows the enemy advance and I have lots of ammo). In the end though I'm happy with my main LRM boat's solo QP stats of 1.43 W/L and 3.21 K/D after around 300 matches. Considering I prefer high alpha direct fire builds when I'm not tired from work or drinking I think they are working for me.

#59 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:58 PM

It's a rather old thread guys.

#60 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:04 PM

View PostSIERRA 116, on 18 November 2017 - 02:23 AM, said:

So...

Aren't Clan LRMs supposed to be able to be used point-blank?

No minimum range and all that. Or at least, how they are originally.

Yes but pgi are trying to find ways to nerf clan tech so both factions are equal.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users