Guide

14 replies to this topic

#1 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:07 PM

Mining Colony is one of those maps that people seem to love to vote for in PUGs, but then end up playing totally wrong.

Too many teams and players:
  • NASCAR unecessarily
  • Don't communicate at all
  • Are too timid to get onto the central platform
  • Die without alerting the team to danger
  • Don't cover or help teammates when they need help
Well, today I get a rare game where everybody worked together and did it right. Notice:
  • Good voice comms, to the point where people are telling teammates when they need to watch their backs.
  • Seizing the initiative by taking center.
  • Setting up defenses as necessary at choke points to stop other team's NASCAR
  • Good work all around the map, resulting in fast kills
Basically, just all around a good game. Watch and enjoy. Oh, at 0:30, enemy Hunchback IIC has a very bad day at the office. :D

#2 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 November 2016 - 02:18 AM

Imho, camping the Center is THE wrong way to play Mining Colony . If you face a somewhat communicating Team of somewhat competent players, you are huddled up tightly in a pretty nice Killbox, where its really easy to be surrounded and being taken out from nice distances/angles .

...just my 2 cts .

Edited by Besh, 05 November 2016 - 02:19 AM.

#3 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 09:35 AM

It depends on where they are and where you are. Notice that while some of us were directly in the center at the start others pushed to flush out flanke and snipers. Also note that our team had kdks builds with high mounted guns ideal for showing down at people from the center. When their team went around to the backside of our starting side of the map,we did not engage them directly from the center because there were too many angles they can fire at us from. We waited for them to NASCAR back around as we killed off their stragglers. Finally notice how we were using the buildings in the center for cover.

In other words, the center was the anchor for our team that allowed us to push out at all angles with superior force. While you !at not always occupy the centre, you need to control and utilize it because it is the shortest route to access all the fighting positions around it.

#4 Jiffy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 09:58 AM

Taking the center is definitely the way to go, if you can do it. The reason for this is that if the enemy team wants to take full advantage of their firepower / numbers, they need to march through the ramps to also get to the center. The team that gets to the center first gets to pick off mechs that are funneling through a choke point. What blows my mind is that a lot of the time a team will take the center, then for no obvious reason, will drop off of one side and start nascaring around it. This is objectively worse than just staying in the center to begin with, because you then give the center to the enemy team, and force your own team to funnel through the same choke point that you should have been making the enemy run through (assuming your team is even trying to fight them in the first place). Makes no sense at all.

The tl;dr of this is, if your team takes the center, it's a horrible idea to give it up and start nascaring.

#5 Hank Wildcarde

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 12:09 PM

Just tried calling a match using OP method - had a great team that listened, 12-1 stomp victory.

I'm convinced :)

#6 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 05 November 2016 - 12:51 PM

the OPs plan is a good one which would work well on most maps

if playing solo queue and you have a team that listens, and the enemy do not you could pull a win from pretty much any plan.

coordination and teamwork are at least as important than player skill and positioning.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 06 November 2016 - 05:42 AM.

#7 kyfire

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:47 PM

Working together as a TEAM with good COORDINATION will win every time and on every map!

#8 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 05 November 2016 - 11:18 PM

"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week."
George S. Patton

Edited by ScottAleric, 05 November 2016 - 11:18 PM.

#9 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:29 AM

"no plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force"

- Helmuth von Moltke the Elder.

Any team that relies on fixed set-piece battles deserves to get completely wrecked by asymmetrical warfare. Go ahead, camp the centre. I'll have my light snipers poking you until you cave.

Edited by Fox With A Shotgun, 06 November 2016 - 12:30 AM.

#10 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:20 AM

Quietly puts fox on the priority kdk target queue....

#11 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:44 AM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 06 November 2016 - 01:20 AM, said:

Quietly puts fox on the priority kdk target queue....

you mean that if you recognise someones name they are not already high on your targeting list?

if I recognise someone on the red team they are always my priority target(s)

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 06 November 2016 - 05:45 AM.

#12 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:49 AM

Always if you have pugs working together than lone wolves you will win 80% of the time and have a better game. Its always good to set up a kill box on top so when they pop their heads up you blast them.. Good game and keep it up

#13 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:32 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 06 November 2016 - 05:44 AM, said:

you mean that if you recognise someones name they are not already high on your targeting list?

if I recognise someone on the red team they are always my priority target(s)

I try not to pick on my friends these days. I'd rather they watch their teammates die one by one before I come for them :D

#14 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:40 AM

View PostOldbob10025, on 06 November 2016 - 05:49 AM, said:

Always if you have pugs working together than lone wolves you will win 80% of the time and have a better game. Its always good to set up a kill box on top so when they pop their heads up you blast them.. Good game and keep it up

Once you take center though it's essential for lights and mediums to push out and deal with snipers and spotters that have overview of the team's positions, which is exactly what our team did. This way the heavier mech can use the advantageous position to deal with enemy heavy mechs without constantly being harasseby lrms and skirmishers.

One if the keys to our success that round is that we had really effective communication and teamwork amongst the smaller mechs that went to secure those positions for us.

#15 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:31 PM

While it could be the central position on this occasion, for me that video was yet another example of how much better things tend to go if you both *listen to* and *talk to* your team.

Nicely done.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users