Noob Alert!

19 replies to this topic

#1 Rilt

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:56 PM

Hi Folks,

New guy here looking for a family (clean language) oriented group to join. I have a new computer, been playing Battletech (tabletop version) for a few decades. I live in the Pacific Northwest and spend a few hours a day, mostly late evening, playing games.

What is my playstyle.... I play World of Tanks (Rilt) and have been playing mostly scouts for the last year or so. I have one mech... Hunchback 4j. I am also the OP Master of a large guild (100+ members) in Astro Empires.

I have to admit that I am struggling in this game. I seem to get lost on the map and not really know what I supposed to be doing.

Eventually my two sons will be joining me in the game. We play well together well in WOT and generally clean up the competition.

I am determined to master this game, but need some help because I can't seem to get a handle on things in the quick matches I am playing. I am looking to join up with some people who know what they are doing and are willing to be patient with the "New Guy".

~ Rilt

#2 Grotoiler

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:07 PM

Hey Rilt,

I'm not exactly your time zone (I'm GMT +2) but I THINK I could catch you on the odd occasion.

I must say the Hunchies are good, solid starter mechs, as they have a nice balance of speed, maneuverability, and firepower. the-4J is also quite a flexible variant with its missile and energy hardpoints.

If you're keen, send me an invite in-game and, if we're online at the same time, I'll gladly drop into some games with you and help you get up to speed. I'm not a VERY good pilot, but I can hold my own when push comes to shove. I think I can class myself as "Professional pug" haha.

EDIT:

Last one - if you're struggling with the game a bit, and if we can synchronise times, I'd be willing to activate some premium time (if you can afford to on your side as well), so we can do 1v1 matches to train you up a bit and get you prepped for the hectic stuff?

Edited by Grotoiler, 08 November 2016 - 10:11 PM.

#3 bar10jim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:30 PM

Just a reminder: this game has a STEEP learning curve.

#4 Rilt

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for the offer and thanks for the reminder.

Yep, it is steep.

#5 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:20 AM

My unit is clean when it comes to language which you could join, also beginner friendly. :)
Midgard Inc. in Mechwarrior has 18 people so far and we both have EU and US players.
But let's start small and just group up together in-game and see how it goes?
Any questions you may have I can most likely answer or else I know people that know. ^_^

#6 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:48 AM

Hey there! Not in you time zone but:

I really recommend exploring the maps on your own via the training ground.

If you haven't gone through the training Academy, that can help too.

#7 JaegerDjinn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA,USA

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:00 AM

Rilt you are more then welcome too come run with the Iron Serpents. We are a casual but aggressive team. The core of our group has been together for 3 yrs now and have recently added 2 new members too the game and unit. So if you like too have fun and not have someone telling you what mech too run then check us out. Salute and keep up the good fight.

#8 BuckshotSchell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIn a private drop ship, on the way to your planet. Please have C-bills on hand.

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:51 AM

Im looking to expand my roster. FTMC is just me and my 9 year old son. I started the unit so he would always have a unit to play FW, back before they had that freelance option and I have kept it going. I play in the evening after the kids go to bed and the wife is chilling watching tv or whatever. I have friends and contacts in several of the big units and can usually drop with them. I try and keep it pretty clean, but may do a little drinking and meching on the weekends. Look me up here or in game, i'm usually on around 8-8:30 central US, if you'd like.

#9 LTG Renner

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 06:27 AM

Hello Rilt, I am a well seasoned player in this game (since beta 2012 or so) and don't mind having my brain picked when it comes to battletech and MWO. Finding a unit that jives with you can be a tough thing to do. There are only 2 units that I know of that hold true to the clean language environment (a rare commodity in this relatively smaller community) that still play enough to be worth joining. If you would like some help getting your footing in the game finding a unit or with anything let me know.
The unit i currently am a part of is The Wild Bunch, we collaborate over Teamspeak (as most units do) the info to join us and get talking if you wish is, TS address 50.73.17.109 no password. Though be mindful language is typically on the lesser end of vulgar it is still a thing and does get out of hand by some at times. This being said everyone there has a high level of respect for one another and I have yet to see a major problem arise between any members. We all typically play between 1200pm and 1200am CST on a 2-6 hour stretch, just depends on the day I guess.

Edited by LTG Renner, 09 November 2016 - 06:30 AM.

#10 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 09 November 2016 - 07:51 AM

View PostLady Alexandra Cousland, on 09 November 2016 - 04:20 AM, said:

My unit is clean when it comes to language which you could join, also beginner friendly. Posted Image
Midgard Inc. in Mechwarrior has 18 people so far and we both have EU and US players.
Any questions you may have I can most likely answer or else I know people that know. Posted Image

if only the wolves had a border to marik.

#11 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:43 AM

Faction Warfare is maybe not the easiest way to learn the game. Solo quick play will get you in the action and whatnot, but you won't see a lot of high level play or leadership in the low tiers. It would probably be faster to pair up with a more experienced veteran who can give you advice and coordinate with you.

I also highly recommend Kanajashi's Cadet Tutorial video series. Well worth an hour of your time to go through the basics.

https://www.youtube....-CgGGLb7-F_dXpC

He also did a series on grinding for Faction Warfare without spending a ton of cash. It took 77 episodes so yeah, FW is really endgame content for the most part. I do hope this changes at some point but it's hard to see that being possible.

#12 Rilt

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:08 AM

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions and invites. I will work my way through them.

#13 BuckshotSchell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIn a private drop ship, on the way to your planet. Please have C-bills on hand.

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:43 AM

i also like to do a bit of QP for leveling and practice, or if the FW queue are too long or too empty. I am a Merc unit and I generally spend several weeks in Clan or IS, but I'll go to different factions based on the number of matches we are most likely to get.

#14 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:36 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 09 November 2016 - 07:51 AM, said:

if only the wolves had a border to marik.

Just leave Wolfs already and join the mighty inner sphere of spheriness. :P

#15 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:11 PM

View PostLady Alexandra Cousland, on 10 November 2016 - 10:36 AM, said:

Just leave Wolfs already and join the mighty inner sphere of spheriness. :P
or merc like a proper money grubber.

#16 mikerso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:35 PM

View PostRilt, on 08 November 2016 - 08:56 PM, said:

Hi Folks,
~ Rilt

Send a friend invite, and I'll be glad to group drop if we are both on.

#17 Robinhood78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Hauptmann
  • Hauptmann
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWestmont, IL USA

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:49 PM

If you're still feeling really green take a look at Kanajashi's video tutorials. You can find them on You Tube. This topic is almost a month old I see so many you've moved past what he has to say, but they can be quite helpful for the new player. Welcome to the game and good luck! It takes everyone a bit to get the hang of it.

#18 Timber Ghost

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:23 PM

A couple units stick out.

First, BWC. http://the-bwc.com When I was there, they had a great training program in place. No other unit has anything like it.

Second, PL. http://praetorian-le...mpany.enjin.com They have a good training program in place, and some pretty good instructors.

BWC is a huge group that supports many games, including WoT. PL is a decent sized MWO only unit. More than enough people to get you trained up. Good luck.

#19 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:30 AM

View PostLady Alexandra Cousland, on 09 November 2016 - 04:20 AM, said:

My unit is clean when it comes to language which you could join, also beginner friendly. Posted Image
Any questions you may have I can most likely answer or else I know people that know. Posted Image

Ya the kids just love hangin with babycakes666 :P

#20 Kai Lui

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 42 posts
  • LocationChoas March

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:33 PM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 09 November 2016 - 08:43 AM, said:

Faction Warfare is maybe not the easiest way to learn the game. Solo quick play will get you in the action and whatnot, but you won't see a lot of high level play or leadership in the low tiers. It would probably be faster to pair up with a more experienced veteran who can give you advice and coordinate with you.

I also highly recommend Kanajashi's Cadet Tutorial video series. Well worth an hour of your time to go through the basics.

https://www.youtube....-CgGGLb7-F_dXpC

He also did a series on grinding for Faction Warfare without spending a ton of cash. It took 77 episodes so yeah, FW is really endgame content for the most part. I do hope this changes at some point but it's hard to see that being possible.

yes it's "end game" or i think more like begining game... once u figure how to drive and fight in PUGs and join a unit and then figure out what is actualy usefull in CW then figure out how to work with your team and follow direction ect... then your ready for CW Posted Image

Edited by Kai Lui, 22 December 2016 - 12:33 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users