Amd Gpu Load Low And Lazy, How To Force It Work Harder?

13 replies to this topic

#1 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 10 November 2016 - 01:46 AM

Hi guys,

ok ok this game engine is nVidia, I know and hence asking for trouble for using AMD, okay, now that we've got that out of the way.

AMD R290X brand=HIS model=ice2 something 8pins power x2. Nothing fancy but slightly higher power than reference PCB.

System AMD 4xCore 3.4Ghz + 8GB_DDR1600 + SSD + lots of fan everywhere for good laugh sake.

While in mechlab, lobby waiting for faction play to start, viewing the faction play innersphere map, FPS sticks to 60fps, as intended by game programmer (find a old thread somewhere says this). GPU loads high and working hard, fan blows high and loud. So the GPU is not lazy and not sleeping.

But then when the actual game match fight starts to end, fps drops to 30+/- only, GPU load is 50% down to 0% and spiking up to 100% for short instance of time only then drops to zero again. Obviously it's not doing any work and as told to go to sleep, being lazy.

CPU Load is good average around 70% all the time, so the CPU is working hard....

Yes, we all know because the game engine is nVidia.....etc etc etc.

So, what can I do to help it a bit? tips and recommendation needed, much appreciate for the assistance.

Posted Image

Then flash bios to R390X, the GPU core frequency does not throttle down to 400Mhz region but stays at 750Mhz region, which is a relieve, but LOAD still drops a lot of the time, again I quote the word "it's lazy and sleeping" does not want to work. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

It used to have better results on an even weaker card i.e. the R290 without X. http://mwomercs.com/...me-rate-solved/

Edited by cx5, 10 November 2016 - 01:51 AM.

#2 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:48 AM

I would try to setup a profile for MWO in CCC and affect the power usage preference to start. Nvidia has control panel to work with, AMD has CCC?

#3 Jade Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 131 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRussia SPb

Posted 10 November 2016 - 06:40 AM

Check temperature and power supply from motherboard to CPU .
Its knowing as Vcore0 Vcore1 etc .
If AMD lack power supply its going Throttling - half CPU frequency .
Trottling may be cause
or bad heat managment ( culling fun stop or bad , thermo past bad etc )
or bad power supply weak\damaged motherbord , weak\damaged supply power block .

For check all parameters CPU\GPU online and tests for overclokers i use OCCT prog .
This one powerfull as much and free .

I wish to solve you problem successfully .

Edited by Jade Hawk, 10 November 2016 - 06:41 AM.

#4 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:20 AM

you need to post more info, are you running 32 bit or 64? DX9 or DX11?what in game settings do you use?

also at what resolution are you playing?

from your 2nd image, is your cpu running at 2.2 ghz instead of 3.4 ghz? i know there are bios settings to throttle the cpu down like 'cool and quiet'

Edited by Gorantir, 10 November 2016 - 08:34 AM.

#5 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 11:10 AM

Set the windows powerplan to high performance if it isn't on that setting already.

It's probably the cpu that isn't fast enough to feed the gpu. This game doesn't like amd cpu's.

#6 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 10 November 2016 - 11:54 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 10 November 2016 - 11:10 AM, said:

Set the windows powerplan to high performance if it isn't on that setting already.

It's probably the cpu that isn't fast enough to feed the gpu. This game doesn't like amd cpu's.

X2. Even at 4.5 amd CPUs struggle with mwo. Ensure you are running at full speed in game. If you have a decent cooler over clocking the CPU will help.

#7 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 November 2016 - 12:58 PM

Another possibility is the power saving feature of the PCI-e slots, or maybe they are stuck @ 1.0 not ramping upto 2.0 3.0 etc? should use GPU-z to see exactly whats going on

#8 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:38 PM

Thanks everyone, replying each respectively

View PostSmokeyjedi, on 10 November 2016 - 03:48 AM, said:

I would try to setup a profile for MWO in CCC and affect the power usage preference to start.

Re: I did, enforce FPS engaged and raised to 70. Power +50%, no effect whatsoever.

View PostJade Hawk, on 10 November 2016 - 06:40 AM, said:

Check temperature and power supply from motherboard to CPU .
Its knowing as Vcore0 Vcore1 etc .

If AMD lack power supply its going Throttling - half CPU frequency .
Trottling may be cause
or bad heat managment ( culling fun stop or bad , thermo past bad etc )
or bad power supply weak\damaged motherbord , weak\damaged supply power block .

For check all parameters CPU\GPU online and tests for overclokers i use OCCT prog .
This one powerfull as much and free.

I wish to solve you problem successfully .

Re1: My mobo is ASRock 890FX Deluxe3 (>5 years old), it's monitoring shows appropriate CPU voltages.

Re2: PSU is Cooler Master GX550 less than one year old, powering single SSD without DVD-rom, no extra HDD to suck power, but I have 4 add-on fans though, and USB joystick, microphone, which should be nothing.... hence use the GPU+CPU is big sucker. May be the 4 pieces of 2GB ram each??? can't be this bad I hope....

Re3: definitely got to do this now, thanks !!!!

View PostGorantir, on 10 November 2016 - 08:20 AM, said:

you need to post more info, are you running 32 bit or 64? DX9 or DX11?what in game settings do you use?also at what resolution are you playing?

from your 2nd image, is your cpu running at 2.2 ghz instead of 3.4 ghz? i know there are bios settings to throttle the cpu down like 'cool and quiet'

Re1: Sorry, my bad. 64bits, DX11, win10, all very high settings, 1920x1080, FXAA this time, no longer MSAA like last time reference to link in OP. Turning off AA does not help, I just didn't show he screen shot, sorry. The various AA has difference, that's for sure, I still fell the relief = higher fps, or dropped, but they are so tight together, i.e. withAA and withoutAA has only 5fps difference, hence I start to look at LOAD and found always drop to zero. ??? don't know why.

Re2: I confident to say it's at max speed 3.4Ghz, without throttle drop. Problem doesn't seem to be here.

View PostFlapdrol, on 10 November 2016 - 11:10 AM, said:

Re: Thank you, I didn't do this. Will try !!!

View PostKaptain, on 10 November 2016 - 11:54 AM, said:

X2. Even at 4.5 amd CPUs struggle with mwo. Ensure you are running at full speed in game. If you have a decent cooler over clocking the CPU will help.

Re: Tried overclock to 3.9Ghz stable, but fps does not rise much, i.e. just +5 may be.... GPU LOAD still lazy, not sticking up high. Voltage got rise to 1.5, temperature 65 celcius in summer of Hong Kong. Now getting winter just 50C. No heating problem.

View PostSmokeyjedi, on 10 November 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

Another possibility is the power saving feature of the PCI-e slots, or maybe they are stuck @ 1.0 not ramping upto 2.0 3.0 etc? should use GPU-z to see exactly whats going on

Re:GPU-Z says 3.0 but I don't believe it, because mobo spec is 2.0

Thanks guys, you guys game me some homework, I'll do it and report back.

Edited by cx5, 10 November 2016 - 10:43 PM.

#9 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:11 AM

Letting the cpu run at the highest achievable clocks might do something (like energy plan, disabling cool n quite)

Energy plan
Cpu usage could be set to 99% instead of 100% just to check there
DX 9 gives me higher fps

Lastly
Anything cpu intensive ingame
Play around with the settings

It's particles
Environment
and I think there was a third one, maybe someone here can chime in on that

And see how much of a difference it makes

#10 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 07:48 AM

Since everybody missed the obvious thing, and OP has finally shed light on his settings...

Turn down particles, shadows, and environment settings. Your AMD CPU does not have the IPC to have these at very high and still feed the GPU properly. This is an obvious and classic CPU-bound scenario.

If you're feeling froggy, overclock the living hell out of your CPU to get better results.

#11 Kurbeks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 08:34 AM

Game's bottleckneck is CPU and it's speed not cores. You can probably play with 280x on full setting up to 1080p.

So first thing to do, when MWO starts open task manger->Processes-> MWOClient.exe right click-> Set Process Priority-> Realtime.

That gave me healthy increase in FPS. You will also notice that FPS will stay high in scouting, trainging grounds. But will get destroyed when is 12vs12 going on brawlz. Example FP Hellbore springs full team brawl around Omega canon i sometimes get 9 FPS

Next would be to OC CPU. Turn on Turbo clock if you CPU has it. and etc.

#12 Syn Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 08:41 AM

dual Intel xeons with 3.2 ghz, 32gb, SSD and a AMD R9 390X here.
game keeps freezing occasionally, even at overclocked GPU and no power saving.

I wish they would start learning to offload work to the GPU. because it Looks like they dont in the perftools.

#13 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 November 2016 - 09:23 AM

Ahh
Shadows

View PostxWiredx, on 11 November 2016 - 07:48 AM, said:

shadows

View PostPeter2k, on 11 November 2016 - 04:11 AM, said:

and I think there was a third one, maybe someone here can chime in on that

still sometimes I can't believe it's shadows being so cpu intensive

#14 Neput Z34

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 244 posts
  • Location...far away from a Land of my birth...

Posted 11 November 2016 - 09:55 AM

Here is a simple test in game that you can do to narrow down your problem:
In a 12v12 match or CW/FP
Press: F9 = to display FPS
Press: Right Shift + F11 = to turn off HUD and other UI elements

If you see an increase in FPS, that is because HUD is " Flash based* " and CPU dependent. *(Not entirely sure, but a possible explanation)

MWO runs on Cry Engine, and it is more CPU intensive then GPU dependent.

P.S. More the likely it is due to an older AMD CPU, I have similar problem with my X6 1090T @ 3.8 GHz

Edited by Neput Z34, 11 November 2016 - 10:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users