- - - - -

Death From Above

9 replies to this topic

#1 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:23 PM

This is something I have been thinking about for quite a few weeks, but just never got around to asking on the forums (call it laziness, I suppose), but for all you veteran MechWarrior players of the previous games (31C Combat, Ghost Bears Legacy (remember when the Kodiak jumped and landed on the Mad Dog?) Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, MechWarrior 3 and 4 etc cetera) you were able to kill enemy 'Mechs (albeit Ai comtrolled 'Mechs) with a death from above attack (that is using your jump jets to jump and land on the head/cockpit of an opposing 'Mech, which causes major damage to instantly killing a 'Mech, depending on the class of 'Mech you are facing) so my question, as you would already have guessed by now, is this: in MWO, does Death From Above work in this game or has it been excluded?
I tried a few times (honestly, in the training grounds, not in actual Drops), but they did not seem to have any effect,, so is this function not available in MWO?
If it is not, I think it should be added, as (the BattleTech and MechWaarior DA books aside) it should be a perfectly valid thing to be able to do.
Of course, I would not expect a single jump on an enemy 'Mech to bring it down right away, but a few repeated jumps (if you are lucky to be able to get in more than one or two).

If DFA is not in MWO, am I the only person who would think that is something that should be introduced or am I simply reliviving my childhood MechWarrior game days and wishing that DFA was an option (although highly risky) for MWO?

#2 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:34 PM

Well, you CAN do death from above, but you don't need to land on another mech to do it. Here's how to do it. Drop on Alpine. Go up the mountain. Run off the mountain while jumping as high as you can. Repeat as often as necessary.

All kidding aside, the simple fact is that in MWO you will damage yourself more than any enemy you can drop on, and if you keep at it long enough you will die, not the enemy.

#3 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:36 PM

View Postmailin, on 15 November 2016 - 02:34 PM, said:

Well, you CAN do death from above, but you don't need to land on another mech to do it. Here's how to do it. Drop on Alpine. Go up the mountain. Run off the mountain while jumping as high as you can. Repeat as often as necessary.

All kidding aside, the simple fact is that in MWO you will damage yourself more than any enemy you can drop on, and if you keep at it long enough you will die, not the enemy.

Yeah, I was thinking was the direct damage you yourself would recieve by doing that, but just wondered if it was possible in the game. Call it curiosity and thanks for the reply!

#4 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, jumping onto another 'mech does nothing in this game, alas.

Hilariously lampooned in this episode of All Systems Nominal. Posted Image

#5 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:49 PM

Man I wish...

#6 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:25 PM

Actually there is minor collision damage. It'll just never hit the cockpit, and it aint much, but it's there.

~Leone.

#7 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:35 AM

View Postjss78, on 15 November 2016 - 02:47 PM, said:

Yeah, jumping onto another 'mech does nothing in this game, alas.

Hilariously lampooned in this episode of All Systems Nominal. Posted Image

Loved that! Thanks for posting it!

#8 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:57 AM

It is in Far Cry 4.......just saying...hehe

#9 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:09 AM

there is most definitely collision damage, but it is neglagable, I am pretty sure a 150kph collision does less than 1 point of damage.

I was once in a match where both teams ended up with mechs without any weapons left, they were running into each other for about 10 minutes before one died to collision damage removing its second leg

#10 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:49 AM

Adding DFA's would allow the MLX/PXH/PNT/etc... to viably fight after being de-armed Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users