5 replies to this topic

#1 Baltor

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 87 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:28 PM

I am not sure if this is the right forum, please move topic if needed.

Short version: On the systems requirements page, base installer (and steam shop), please either raise the stated required hard drive space or at least add a warning that the required space will be a lot larger than 16GB during patches and installation.

Long version:
On the website http://mwomercs.com/game/download (and in the steam shop) the required hard disc space is stated as 16GB. The base installer still says only 8GB. 16GB is about right - under static conditions. As i am a long term player i know that the game folder has a habit of inflating during patches, together with the temporary files and MWO Update folder it can reach double normal the size. And when I recently installed the game on another machine I did monitor the folder size out of curiosity: The sum of the MechWarrior Online folder and the MWO Update folder went temporary to nearly 44 GB, meaning 2.75 times the stated required hard drive space. Though hard drive space is today much less of a problem than years ago there can still arise problems, especially when you try to install MWO on a small SSD where even a few tens of GBs (more than expected) can hurt.So please either raise the recommend disc space or at least give a clear warning so nobody (especially new players) finds him- or herself suddenly running out of disc space.

Edited by Baltor, 16 November 2016 - 02:29 PM.

#2 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:00 PM

Also, the installer still uses your system drive for installation and not the saved game drive in use (had to change my 80GB system drive for a 320GB drive as it kept overflowing).

#3 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:36 AM

I support this thread's suggestion as well. My current indicated space taken by MWO's Install is 18.6 GB, which is a clear indication that the Required Disk Space is not marked high enough. I also have to ask that the number for that be raised, preferably to 48 GB, but with indication that it will be smaller (less than 20 GB) only when NOT patching the install with updates that cause the folder to massively bloat. Hearing about users who run out of disk space because of MWO is rather depressing. :(

~Mr. D. V. "No reason to leave users without proper knowledge..." Devnull

#4 Baltor

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 87 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:50 AM

Update:
With the new portal they also changed the requirements:
- Minimum: 16GB (45GB temporarily required during installation)
- Recommended: 45GB

That's a big step in the right direction, but we aren't there yet.
My current MWO Folder is closer to 17 GB. and some plays like Devnull report even higher numbers. So raise the 16GB a bit and add a note for size during patching. Then i would be happy.

#5 DeadScarab

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 03:31 AM

I don't know if this is the correct place to post but I don't think the 45GB space requirement for install applies anymore.
I have 68GB free space and I can't install MWO as it eats up all of my available space.

#6 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 04:16 AM

View PostDeadScarab, on 06 May 2022 - 03:31 AM, said:

I don't know if this is the correct place to post but I don't think the 45GB space requirement for install applies anymore.
I have 68GB free space and I can't install MWO as it eats up all of my available space.

45GB should be right. But the installation process may take up to twice the amount of required space. After installation is complete, it should be back to 45GB.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users