Help Me

19 replies to this topic

#1 Tokkar

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:04 AM

Hi,

are there units for new players? just to get feel for CW? no obligations, just join and drop drop drop? :)

#2 Rintero Pryde

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:20 AM

Seems like a niche thing you're trying to find. I think what you really want is just to jump into Faction Play LFG, (Looking For Group) and find a group there. You can find players to drop with, no obligations to any unit.

I don't know how many units would allow you one of their 12 spots in a Faction Play Invasion drop, with the intent of just orienting yourself to the game mode. It's competetive in there, and it's not gonna make you a ton of friends to approach it anything less than seriously.

#3 Tokkar

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:35 AM

View PostRintero Pryde, on 18 November 2016 - 10:20 AM, said:

Seems like a niche thing you're trying to find. I think what you really want is just to jump into Faction Play LFG, (Looking For Group) and find a group there. You can find players to drop with, no obligations to any unit.

I don't know how many units would allow you one of their 12 spots in a Faction Play Invasion drop, with the intent of just orienting yourself to the game mode. It's competetive in there, and it's not gonna make you a ton of friends to approach it anything less than seriously.

I will try LFG then. Thanks for a tip!
It is not that I am not serious. It's just I don't want "everybody connect at 8 pm sharp because we are going to drop" World Of Warcraft style of commitment.
I just played another game Eve-online and there were companies-units-guilds-corps created just for people who want to learn cooperative play. Just random people who try to do something together. So I thought maybe in this game also are some newbie friendly units that just drop and do not care much about winning or good stats.
Thanks again for a tip! I will got to LFG then

#4 Tokkar

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:09 AM

Tried LFG but it wasn't invasion drop. It was just regular PUG game but with team...

#5 Rintero Pryde

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:21 AM

I think I came off the wrong way. Others may know more, but to my knowledge MWO doesn't have units like that. It isn't that we don't have casual units; more like casual units stay away from Faction. There's a lot of time and effort that goes into running Faction Play matches. They're twice to three times as long as a Quick Play drop, and punishing for the uninitiated. That doesn't mean, however, that if you joined a unit they wouldn't help you learn and better yourself, and join in on drops. You just won't find units of all new players not taking Faction seriously.

If you feel like you want to experience playing with a unit, feel free to shoot me a PM. Sturmgrenadier won't dictate that you get on at 8 p.m. sharp, and there's no pressure to join. Just play with us for awhile, and see if you like it.

#6 Rintero Pryde

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:27 AM

View PostTokkar, on 18 November 2016 - 11:09 AM, said:

Tried LFG but it wasn't invasion drop. It was just regular PUG game but with team...

I apologize, I was thinking old school. Under the new system, unless you affiliate yourself with a Faction you may not be able to join LFG for Faction Play. I'm guessing you're most likely under the category of Freelancer.

Not being at my computer, I can't really confirm.

Edited by Rintero Pryde, 18 November 2016 - 11:31 AM.

#7 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:21 PM

We have a set of subforums dedicated to factions and recruiting.
Check there.
The vast majority of active teams will take green players.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:34 PM

View PostTokkar, on 18 November 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:

Hi,

are there units for new players? just to get feel for CW? no obligations, just join and drop drop drop? Posted Image

no specific units for new player CW, just answer the calls to arms, and if you meet a unit you like ask them if you can join them for a few drops, there is a good chance they will say yes and give you details of there teamspeak server, but you will have to form a "unit" and join the same faction as the unit you want to play with, because it is likely to cost the unit millions of cbills to let you formally join the unit, and they will not want to pay that until they have got to know you.

#9 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUnder the desk of the Magestrix of Canopus

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:46 PM

Not to put you off, but you will have to decide to go clan, IS or both when you are putting you collection of mechs together. Some people have two accounts. Most players do not. It took me about 6 months of learning the game before I felt like I had solid drop decks and would not be a hindrance to my teammates. That is when I got serious about FW. My unit is a casual one and we don't play FW as often as I would like, but these guys are family and I wouldn't leave them for the world. Our unit also has an ally/sister unit we team up with when our numbers are low. Also I have friends that invite me along with their drops. Try running on your own for a couple months in PUG, then find a recruiting casual unit that is active. From there you might find your way into a bigger unit that is FW focused. YMMV.

Cheers!

#10 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:13 AM

Just create your own unit with no strings attached and be a mercenary for some faction.

#11 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:54 AM

highly recommend you go to the FRR TS hub and chat to people there , let them know youre interested in CW, youll get a game im sure.

#12 Rintero Pryde

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:48 PM

If the unit you want to join can't scrounge up the c bills to send you an invite ticket, then it's likely a unit you don't want to join. Invite tickets cost 50k c bills per member currently in the unit. If every member can't get on and provide 50k c bills to send you that invite, then they're likely not active enough to meet your needs.

A good way to structure your c bill coffer is to have everyone drop 50k into it until you have enough to pay for one invite ticket, and always have enough for just that 1 ticket in there. It might take a few days at worst, but the ticket gets paid for without too much taken from any one individual player.

Units should also be open to allowing you to play with them without joining, to see if you (and them) are a good fit.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:45 AM

View PostRintero Pryde, on 19 November 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

If the unit you want to join can't scrounge up the c bills to send you an invite ticket, then it's likely a unit you don't want to join. Invite tickets cost 50k c bills per member currently in the unit. If every member can't get on and provide 50k c bills to send you that invite, then they're likely not active enough to meet your needs.

my unit insists new players complete training before they get an invite, this is because people will often ask to join then leave before completing training.

if the unit is often taking 20+ recruits a month and half end up leaving within that first month that would be a lot of wasted cbills

View PostRintero Pryde, on 19 November 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

Units should also be open to allowing you to play with them without joining, to see if you (and them) are a good fit.

agreed

#14 Tokkar

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:02 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 19 November 2016 - 01:54 AM, said:

highly recommend you go to the FRR TS hub and chat to people there , let them know youre interested in CW, youll get a game im sure.

If I understand correctly FRR use IS mechs and not Clan mechs?

#15 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:57 PM

Yes, FRR, Davion, Marek, Liao, Steiner and Kurita all use IS Mechs
Clan Wolf, Clan Ghost Bear, Clan Smoke Jaguar and Clan Jade Falcon all use Clan MechsEdit to corredt clan duplication

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 21 November 2016 - 09:34 AM.

#16 Tokkar

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:26 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 20 November 2016 - 11:57 PM, said:

Yes, FRR, Davion, Marek, Liao, Steiner and Kurita all use IS Mechs

Clan Wolf, Clan Ghost Bear, Clan Jade Falcon and Clan Jade Falcon all use Clan Mechs

I so worked hardly to get 3 hellbringers elite and elite stormcrow. Now going IS is well another 2 weeks of HEAVY playing :(

#17 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:28 PM

Or you could drop make a unit, merc it up and take a contract with Jade falcons. They've been pretty prevalent. Give em a go, see if you can find folk willing to be helpful, and if not, build an IS drop deck whiles learning the ropes.

~Leone.

#18 Tokkar

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:09 AM

View PostLeone, on 21 November 2016 - 10:28 PM, said:

Or you could drop make a unit, merc it up and take a contract with Jade falcons.

Hi, could you explain this? I didn't understand. Drop, make unit and merc it up part ? Thanks!

#19 Tokkar

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:19 AM

Is there a way to look at Unit stats or just how many pilots it has? I am looking for Units that has a lot of members (because I want to drop often) and also I think time zone is important too. Is there any "Unit browser" or any "Details" I can look up if I have unit name?

#20 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:02 AM

most units will have a website, visit the site and much of the information should be there.

View PostTokkar, on 22 November 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

Hi, could you explain this? I didn't understand. Drop, make unit and merc it up part ? Thanks!

if you go to the faction play tab ingame and are not already part of a unit it should give you an option to create a unit.
creating a unit costs nothing, if you disband a unit you loose your current contact and any cbills in the unit coffers, that is it, so you can create and disband units as often as you want. your unit can take a contract as a merc or pledge loyalty to a great house and become a loyalist.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users