To Artemis Or Not To Artemis

24 replies to this topic

#1 billyyank

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:02 AM

Which is more useful? Two SRM4s, or 2 SRM2s with Artemis?

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:02 AM

4a. Artemis adds nothing on 2s.

#3 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:51 AM

4 with or without Artemis.
Don’t play SRM2 with A or SRM6 without A.

#4 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:32 AM

I would go further and argue that on IS SRMs, the SRM4s are decent even without Artemis.

For SRM6s of both flavours however, Artemis is essential

#5 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:57 AM

If you like to spread the damage over the entire mech, SRM4s are decent. If you want to being able to target components, Artemis is a significant improvement and well worth it.

Also, if you are piloting a light, can sneak into the opponent’s backs and shoot your SRMs point blank, you can run 6s without A as well.
It’s not that great an idea in general, ofc.

#6 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:48 AM

Artemis on streaks of any kind ( they do reduce lock on time, dont they?)
Artemis on any Srm 6, Lrm 15 and Lrm 20 for both IS and Clan. Good news is that as far as I can recall the Lrm 20 have gotten the spread tightened down to lrm 15 standards. Which makes them more useful. Also Is streak srm 2 got reduced cooldown, so thats neat, now the lower tonnage mechs can find some fun use out of them Posted Image

Srm 2, 4 and Lrm 5, 10 for IS and Clan dont really need artemis, though its a nice bonus anyway. But if you lack ammo etc, drop artemis.

Edited by Tordin, 22 November 2016 - 08:50 AM.

#7 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:12 PM

From my experience the only time you really have to use artemis is on SRM-6s, it makes a huge difference to lethality because that 50 point quad srm-6 alpha will primarily go where you want it to, and not be spread all over the target's arse when fired at anything but point blank.

SRM-2/4, and LRM-5/10 do not get enough benefits to justify the use of artemis, LRM-15/20 is a judgement call, but even then id say no unless its 2 launchers since that tonnage is better served adding ammo or heat sinks (or backup weapons for those sadistically inclined to actually have nothing but lurms on their boat).

The main reason why its so bad on smaller srm/lrm launchers isnt so much that it doesnt do anything (well with the exception of srm-2s where i havent been able to notice any differences), but the fact that 90% of mechs using the smaller launchers boat them with 5-6 launchers minimum, and you are looking at 1 ton per gun with artemis, and while i can justify 2 tons being throw out on something like a lurmboat or heavy, 4 or more tons (with the only exception being quad srm-6 since those have crap accuracy without it) is just too much to throw away on a situational upgrade.

Maybee its just my personal experience, but i just cant justify the slots/tonnage of artemis (especially since srms are heavy enough as is) on anything but dedicated srm-6 brawlers. Ohh and in case you didnt know, artemis should always be enabled for streaks, it doesnt affect the mass of teh launchers, and it boosts your lockon times for free (i dont run streaks on anything as i hate being unable to hit a certain component with my salvos but its there for those of you that enjoy them).

#8 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

2's never artemis

4's if you want to. Bigger upgrade for clan 4's than IS 4's.

6's always artemis.

This is assuming you are stacking them. If you aren't bringing at least 3 launchers artemis isn't worth it.

#9 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:33 AM

I would not use Artemis on SRM2's, if you use these then you are already having weight issues and tonnage is better spend elsewhere.

From my tests with 2xSRM4 Artemis vs 2xSMR6 Artemis i've noticed / concluded that on +/-100m and +/- 25m vs the CT of the Atlas on tourmaline it took about the same amount of shots (trigger pulls) to destroy / kill the mech. SRM4's are able to output those shots faster and spend less ammo in the process. From that test, i would go for SRM4 Artemis when possible.

Edit:
Possibly when using just 2 launchers the 4 missiles extra for each trigger pull isn't making enough difference, perhaps / most likely when using 4 or more launchers the SRM6's with Artemis will take less trigger pulls then the SRM4's as the difference in potential damage output gets exaggerated. Also, much depends on the aim of the user, if you can be very precise the SRM4's might do the same effective damage as the SRM6's while allowing for a higher dps.
When i have to choose between 3xSRM6's or 4x SRM4's i would surely go for the SRM4's (with Artemis ofc).

Edited by B3R3ND, 31 January 2017 - 03:55 AM.

#10 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:59 AM

Anything but LRM5 and SRM2 doesn't need artemis. SRM4s can take no Artemis, but LRM10, LRM15, LRM20, and SRM6 is a must.

#11 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:14 PM

Artemis will always be good but really all a matter of how you play.

If you are right up on enemy close brawling strafing etc real close Artemis not going to benefit you much leaving you wondering could I put those tons to good use elsewhere.

If at max range most time then getting them in close is a definite help. but your still fighting shotgun spread so will never be amazing.

#12 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:13 PM

Normal if your using the nova breaker cause the srm spread is the same with or without artemis. Lol try it if you like it use it.. if not try the other way. Usually you can tell after the first couple matches which one is more effective.

#13 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:18 PM

For CLANS - do you have to keep your target visible to get Artemis bonuses for C-LRM? Does C-NARC and Artemis work together, ie does Artemis reduce spread on C-NARC'ed target? For which C-LRM would Artemis be best - 5/10/15/20? How does C-LRM Missile Spread -4/-8% bonus compare to Artemis without quirk? Is it good or bad to use C-SRM4 with Artemis?

Edited by G4LV4TR0N, 26 February 2017 - 07:22 PM.

#14 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:48 PM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 26 February 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

For CLANS - do you have to keep your target visible to get Artemis bonuses for C-LRM? Does C-NARC and Artemis work together, ie does Artemis reduce spread on C-NARC'ed target? For which C-LRM would Artemis be best - 5/10/15/20? How does C-LRM Missile Spread -4/-8% bonus compare to Artemis without quirk? Is it good or bad to use C-SRM4 with Artemis?

Yes for vision to get artemis bonus with clan lrms. The effects do not stack.

Artemis is best for large launchers. You pay an extra ton for every artemis system so if you are stacking small ones the tonnage adds up fast and isn't worth it. Never artemis 5's, 10's usually not, 15's and 20's are a good idea.

IMO missiles are noticeably tighter with artemis active. The biggest advantage artemis gives LRMs is the increase lock on speed, which also works for streaks. That comes in handy even without LOS.

Its a good to run C-SRM 4's with artemis if you can afford it.

View PostRoughneck45, on 30 January 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

2's never artemis

4's if you want to. Bigger upgrade for clan 4's than IS 4's.

6's always artemis.

This is assuming you are stacking them. If you aren't bringing at least 3 launchers artemis isn't worth it.

Edited by Roughneck45, 28 February 2017 - 04:05 PM.

#15 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:11 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 28 February 2017 - 03:48 PM, said:

Yes for vision to get artemis bonus with clan lrms. The effects do not stack.

Artemis is best for large launchers. You pay an extra ton for every artemis system so if you are stacking small ones the tonnage adds up fast and isn't worth it. Never artemis 5's, 10's usually not, 15's and 20's are a good idea.

IMO missiles are noticeably tighter with artemis active. The biggest advantage artemis gives LRMs is the increase lock on speed, which also works for streaks. That comes in handy even without LOS.

Its a good to run C-SRM 4's with artemis if you can afford it.

So for LRMs with Artemis I have to be able to see the guy I am shooting at for Artemis to give me any sort of advantage?

#16 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:26 PM

View PostLMP, on 08 March 2017 - 02:11 PM, said:

So for LRMs with Artemis I have to be able to see the guy I am shooting at for Artemis to give me any sort of advantage?

Yes.

#17 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:13 PM

When using C-LRM+Artemis do I need to see the target all the time for bonus to kick in? Can I, for example, launch missiles and hide while they are flying? What about launching missiles when I see enemy, hiding when they are in the air and then reappearing right before they hit? Third, what when I launch LRMs from behind cover(lets say I see enemy because of UAV or allies providing targeting data) and while they are still flying I get visuals of enemy mech? When in such cases Artemis bonus work and when it does not?

#18 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:08 AM

Yes, Artemis only work when you have direct line of sight as far as I know.

#19 The Lobsters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLocation Location.

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 08 March 2017 - 09:13 PM, said:

When using C-LRM+Artemis do I need to see the target all the time for bonus to kick in? Can I, for example, launch missiles and hide while they are flying? What about launching missiles when I see enemy, hiding when they are in the air and then reappearing right before they hit? Third, what when I launch LRMs from behind cover(lets say I see enemy because of UAV or allies providing targeting data) and while they are still flying I get visuals of enemy mech? When in such cases Artemis bonus work and when it does not?

As long as you can manage to grab LOS about a second or two before they hit, the artemis will pickup the missiles and they will track. A good move can be to use an indirect lock to launch and then break cover or jump jet just before they hit to slip in the artemis tracking.

No line of sight - no artemis tracking

Throw in a tag as well and that will roughly half your missile spread.

#20 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:04 AM

Considering the new balance. Now do we arty SRM4 and LRM5s?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users