Battletech/mechwarrior Movie?

51 replies to this topic

Poll: Battletech/mechwarrior Movie? (83 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you support a BT/MW movie kickstarter?

1. Yes (69 votes [83.13%])

Percentage of vote: 83.13%

2. No (14 votes [16.87%])

Percentage of vote: 16.87%

How should it be done?

1. Feature length movie (23 votes [27.71%])

Percentage of vote: 27.71%

2. TV series (16 votes [19.28%])

Percentage of vote: 19.28%

3. Mini series (like Band of Brothers or Sherlock) (37 votes [44.58%])

Percentage of vote: 44.58%

4. Other (explain) (7 votes [8.43%])

Percentage of vote: 8.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:12 PM

I know this is the feature suggestions section but it's the only place you can make a poll.

#2 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:33 PM

I believe that it should start as a movie and then launched as a series, mini or otherwise. They could even do multiple timelines by keep showing it from the IS POV and after the Clan Invasion starts and there is a pause show the origins of the Clans from the downfall of the Star League to the present. There is so much material there that it is crazy.

#3 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:09 AM

I just want to state that I know kickstarter wouldn't be able to completely fund a movie but I do think it could draw interest from investors. Perhaps Pgi, Hairbrained or Microsoft would be willing to pitch in as well.

#4 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:20 AM

With over a hundred novels, countless source books, loads and decades of games and even an old animated series Battletech has all it takes to fuel a big franchise. Thing is you could not make a movie with the Harmony Gold Robotech Mech design dispute over everybodys head and that was the reason they were going for completely different designs to be able to abandon the Mechs that were the very classics, but also very clearly ripped off from Robotech (Warhammer, Marauder, Riflemen etc. ). Only lately this seems to have been off the table, probably because of the MWO designs becomin canon and not beeing such 121 copies of their Robotech counterparts. Anyway, if there would be a reasonable Kickstarter for a BT movie, I'd pay big bucks anyday :-)

#5 Michael Knell

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:42 AM

I voted for the mini series, but it needs to be done all in CGI, like Witcher 3 "Professional" and "A night to remember" trailers.

#6 Vortex013

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 24 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:31 PM

I would like to see a cartoon (for growns up's). Just one hour and as a proof of concept. Like Gi Joe, Transformers did with some recent stuff etc. This should be financable. Maybe even not a popular story from the BT universe, just some from the ordinary life in the Periphery?

#7 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:03 PM

View PostThomster, on 21 November 2016 - 03:20 AM, said:

With over a hundred novels, countless source books, loads and decades of games and even an old animated series Battletech has all it takes to fuel a big franchise. Thing is you could not make a movie with the Harmony Gold Robotech Mech design dispute over everybodys head and that was the reason they were going for completely different designs to be able to abandon the Mechs that were the very classics, but also very clearly ripped off from Robotech (Warhammer, Marauder, Riflemen etc. ). Only lately this seems to have been off the table, probably because of the MWO designs becomin canon and not beeing such 121 copies of their Robotech counterparts. Anyway, if there would be a reasonable Kickstarter for a BT movie, I'd pay big bucks anyday :-)

Well the classics weren't ripped off from robotech but that's a long story.

I do agree whoever does a BT movie would need to use the reseen or even use designs based on MWO's renditions.

This might be "taboo" to some but perhaps an anime series would be the best way to get the ball rolling. There are plenty of anime's that are more serious and whiny teen free. Japan has a greater interest in robot shows I think than the US so perhaps they'd be more willing to do BT.

#8 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:07 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 23 November 2016 - 04:03 PM, said:

I do agree whoever does a BT movie would need to use the reseen or even use designs based on MWO's renditions.

This might be "taboo" to some but perhaps an anime series would be the best way to get the ball rolling. There are plenty of anime's that are more serious and whiny teen free. Japan has a greater interest in robot shows I think than the US so perhaps they'd be more willing to do BT.

I doubt it. The Japanese have a very different view on what a giant robot should be like (Gundum, for example). Besides, 'mechs are powered by fusion reactors that when they go critical create a small mushroom cloud. So between having two nukes dropped on them and after the Fukushima nuclear reactor meatdown a few years back, I seriously doubt they would bite at the idea.

Edited by Jep, 23 November 2016 - 07:08 PM.

#9 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:54 PM

View PostJep, on 23 November 2016 - 07:07 PM, said:

I doubt it. The Japanese have a very different view on what a giant robot should be like (Gundum, for example). Besides, 'mechs are powered by fusion reactors that when they go critical create a small mushroom cloud. So between having two nukes dropped on them and after the Fukushima nuclear reactor meatdown a few years back, I seriously doubt they would bite at the idea.

Actually Stackpoling isn't an accurate representation of a fusion reactor except in ultra rare circumstances.

However I do agree the Japanese would likely want to turn mechs into more gundam esc things but with the right director that could be avoided.

#10 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:58 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 23 November 2016 - 04:03 PM, said:

Well, ripping off is quite a harsh term, I agree. FASA actually thought they had the proper rights. But nonetheless the designs were taken over 121. Found a good article on that one: http://www.qqmercs.c...-of-the-unseen/

#11 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:13 AM

So far it looks like most people would be willing to support a BT/MW movie and most want it to be a mini series.

#12 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:08 AM

We need a BCU: The Battletech Cinematic Universe! :-) We need the whole nine Yards.

#13 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:16 AM

View PostThomster, on 27 November 2016 - 03:08 AM, said:

We need a BCU: The Battletech Cinematic Universe! :-) We need the whole nine Yards.

There's certainly enough material to use. If done correctly BT could become quite popular again.

#14 GabrielSun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:06 AM

Given how badly done Pacific Rim was, I would vote no.

#15 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:24 AM

View PostGabrielSun, on 28 November 2016 - 11:06 AM, said:

Given how badly done Pacific Rim was, I would vote no.

• Are we talking bad "visually"? Script? Acting? "Bad" in what regard?
  • Why does the existence of a (by your opinion) "bad" Mech(a) movie automatically negate the possibility of a "good" Battletech/Mechwarrior Movie?

Edited by Thomster, 28 November 2016 - 11:24 AM.

#16 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:57 PM

View PostThomster, on 28 November 2016 - 11:24 AM, said:

• Are we talking bad "visually"? Script? Acting? "Bad" in what regard?
  • Why does the existence of a (by your opinion) "bad" Mech(a) movie automatically negate the possibility of a "good" Battletech/Mechwarrior Movie?

This

We're not talking about a new Pacific Rim movie. This thread is about a Battletech movie/series. Unless it's an example of something you want/don't want, etc, it's not relevant.

#17 GabrielSun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:13 AM

The problem with PR was the terrible script and poor acting. The effects were obviously the one thing they focused on making good. The history of game to movie conversions are similarly abysmal. Since PR is the only giant robot fighting movie we have an example of it is relevant.

#18 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:49 AM

View PostGabrielSun, on 30 November 2016 - 08:13 AM, said:

The problem with PR was the terrible script and poor acting. The effects were obviously the one thing they focused on making good. The history of game to movie conversions are similarly abysmal. Since PR is the only giant robot fighting movie we have an example of it is relevant.

Fair enough but I actually enjoyed PR even though it was a bit cheesy.

#19 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:29 AM

Well, the longer this topic grows with posts, the bigger my suspicion grows, that the topic might need some renaming. The question wether we would like to see a Mechwarrior movie is basically: yes, we want! What obviously bugs us all is the fear, that it could turn out to be a bad one. So from here on out we might perhaps rather discuss what said movie would need to be good, what stories would be valuable etc.

#20 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:42 AM

I would start it the same way they started it with the novels with the Gray Death Legion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users