Carry Harder Event

2 replies to this topic

#1 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:01 AM

This is an event suggestion closely related to my post in the current event's thread where I expressed my dissatisfaction with the fact that PGI's events are gradually losing the feeling of an actual contest and degenerating into free meal giveaways. I propose running an event of a different nature for competitively-minded players centered around a simple idea: encouraging players to perform better than everyone else at their respective tiers. Here are a few suggestions as to the challenges that may comprise such an event:

- Score top damage on your team in a total of N matches;
- Achieve the highest match score on your team in in a total of N matches;
- Score at least X kills/KMDDs/solo kills per match in in a total of N matches;
- Destroy at least X components per match in in a total of N matches (PGI already tried that once, and it proved to be a very difficult challenge);
- Win a total of N matches. This could be combined with any of the previous conditions to provide an additional challenge, for example - win a total of N matches while scoring top damage on your team;
- Kill or get a KMDD on a total of N mechs which are at least one weight class higher than your weight class. Could be broken down into more specific challenges, e.g. - kill or get a KMDD on a total of N heavies while piloting a medium or a light mech.

These are just a few things that came to my mind. I'll be happy to see others chime in and propose their challenges for such an event. And the objectives can be refined further, if PGI is willing to invest the effort. For example: compare the player's score with the average score across their team, and if the difference is positive, credit that difference towards the challenge objective. E.g.: you have a match score of 300, while the average match score on your team is 200. Therefore, you get 100 points credited towards the challenge.

As for how this event could be named, I have already provided one possible suggestion in the topic title Posted Image I think "Carry Harder" would perfectly reflect the nature of such an event.

And as for the prizes, someone has rightfully pointed out to me that we are not entitled to demand any rewards from PGI, so I'll refrain from suggesting any specific prizes. However, given the competitive nature of such an event, I would expect to see some exciting prizes. Hint: a year-old hero mech which has been nerfed into oblivion isn't exactly an exciting prize Posted Image

Edited by DGTLDaemon, 23 November 2016 - 04:06 AM.

#2 Ibrandul Mike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:21 PM

Just a few questions to help make this event idea a bit more complete:

How long do you think such an event should run? 1 weekend might be too hard... 2 weeks... 4 weeks?

Are there any challenges in your post that might have an adversive effect on the gameplay?
For example destroying N components in one match means, you have to be a lot more ineffective, if the components needed number gets high enough. We might all agree that headshots are the most efficient way to kill a mech. But that would be only one component... CT same thing.

Even if asking for specific prizes is most likely not getting you, what you want... how about "what would make you take part in such an event?"
(Lots of) MC? Mechbays? Bragging rights (hall of fame style)? Mechs (including mechbays)? I mean you are asking for "hardcore" stuff, so the reward should feel like one. What about not buyable decals and stuff like that? New titles?

Would you say that that is more like a one time event, or would you make it seasonal?
Once every three months for a month for example. That would mean an inflation in decals/titles/badges, whatever, but could be quite interesting. Especially to keep the "best" players (or the ones with the most time on hand) working on it.

I like the idea and I think something like that might be a good event "on the side". Perhaps not the main dish. The events seem to focus at getting most people involved. Yes not everyone can get all the things done, but at least a good chunk of it. Your event would exclude a lot of people. Either that or it would be "too easy".

With that in mind... I would love to know if an "opt in for MC or C-Bills" (perhaps even premium time for those that don't know what to do with it) would be possible. Not everyone would be able to take part, but you could lose something, if you didn't make it. Then the prizes might be even higher. I have no idea if something like that would mean a shitstorm from the community, but it would certainly be interesting. You think you are good enough? The "carry harder" event is your chance to show your superiority!
Something like the leaderboards, just with the matches to achieve your scores counted.
I would even exclude group drops if possible. Just to make it harder to cheat (especially if there is a fee for entering involved).

Just a few ideas and things to think about. Hope it helps and I would really like to see an event like that. Even if I wouldn't be a contender at this moment :)

#3 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:48 PM

First of all - thanks for replying, I'm really happy to see that I'm not the only one interested in such type of event. Now let's try to refine our ideas further. I'll shuffle quoted text around a bit, because sometimes it's easier to answer several questions at once Posted Image

View PostIbrandul Mike, on 23 November 2016 - 08:21 PM, said:

How long do you think such an event should run? 1 weekend might be too hard... 2 weeks... 4 weeks?

Would you say that that is more like a one time event, or would you make it seasonal?
Once every three months for a month for example. That would mean an inflation in decals/titles/badges, whatever, but could be quite interesting. Especially to keep the "best" players (or the ones with the most time on hand) working on it.

I like the idea and I think something like that might be a good event "on the side". Perhaps not the main dish. The events seem to focus at getting most people involved. Yes not everyone can get all the things done, but at least a good chunk of it. Your event would exclude a lot of people. Either that or it would be "too easy".

Given the highly competitive nature of the suggested challenges, I'd say one weekend would be too hard. On the other hand, running this kind of event for too long may alienate the players who are unable or unwilling to participate in it. I'd say a week-long event every 2-3 months would be right on the spot. It would be enough to keep our blood pumping and remind us that we actually have to earn the prizes while giving more casual players enough time and opportunity to participate in the "regular" events.

Are there any challenges in your post that might have an adversive effect on the gameplay?
For example destroying N components in one match means, you have to be a lot more ineffective, if the components needed number gets high enough. We might all agree that headshots are the most efficient way to kill a mech. But that would be only one component... CT same thing.

I wouldn't worry about components too much. PGI are currently running a challenge based on destroying components, and I haven't seen it cause any adverse behavior in players. Well, sometimes someone may take extra time to farm a disco, but that really doesn't affect the core gameplay. As for everything else... Getting kills, KMDDs, solo kills, scoring top damage and top match scores and, of course, winning matches is always a good thing. The last weight class-based challenge is a bit worrisome, though, because it may discourage people from bringing assaults (as they end up at the top of the chain). But then the worst enemies of assaults are lights, correct? So we can have everyone hunting mechs that are higher than their weight class, except for assaults who will be hunting lights Posted Image That's gotta be fun.

Even if asking for specific prizes is most likely not getting you, what you want... how about "what would make you take part in such an event?"
(Lots of) MC? Mechbays? Bragging rights (hall of fame style)? Mechs (including mechbays)? I mean you are asking for "hardcore" stuff, so the reward should feel like one. What about not buyable decals and stuff like that? New titles?

Well, let's not invent the wheel: we need rewards for each individual challenge plus some sort of a "grand prize". Individual challenge rewards can take the usual form - MC, C-Bills, GXP, premium time, supply caches/keys, cosmetic items. The value of the reward should, of course, be commensurate with the amount of effort required to earn it. As for the grand prize, I really liked the approach PGI took with the "Prove Your Allegiance 2" and "Operation Frontline" events, giving the players a choice of IS/Clan mechs with mechbays. Of course, it would be super-cool to have C-Bill boosted mechs as the grand prize, but if it's too much to ask, then maybe we can have regular or champion IS/Clan mechs, but with a unique pattern applied to them, to show off your achivement? And speaking of showing off, I would really love to see a unique decal and a unique title as a part of the grand prize Posted Image Because, after all, bragging rights will be one of the biggest incentive to participate in such an event.

With that in mind... I would love to know if an "opt in for MC or C-Bills" (perhaps even premium time for those that don't know what to do with it) would be possible. Not everyone would be able to take part, but you could lose something, if you didn't make it. Then the prizes might be even higher. I have no idea if something like that would mean a shitstorm from the community, but it would certainly be interesting. You think you are good enough? The "carry harder" event is your chance to show your superiority!

Something like the leaderboards, just with the matches to achieve your scores counted.
I would even exclude group drops if possible. Just to make it harder to cheat (especially if there is a fee for entering involved).

Not sure about that... Having to pay to opt in would raise the stakes incredibly high. I personally wouldn't do it unless I had a chance to grab at least a mech pack, or a couple of hero mechs, or a ton of MC as the grand prize, and PGI probably wouldn't be willing to go that far. Maybe for a one-time event, but definitely not for recurring events IMHO.

Just a few ideas and things to think about. Hope it helps and I would really like to see an event like that. Even if I wouldn't be a contender at this moment Posted Image

You never know whether you'll be a contender or not until you try it Posted Image Just a few months ago, I was complaining about life being sooo hard after moving from T4 to T3, and yet here I am, proposing a top-level competitive challenge. This is what this event should be all about - trying to outperform yourself and finding your real limits.

Edited by DGTLDaemon, 24 November 2016 - 04:45 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users