Jerky Mouse Pointer Target Reticule

10 replies to this topic

#1 Pulse Nova

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:47 AM

Hey there.

This last week of Gaming I've been getting a Jerky Movement from my Mouse while In Game (The Target Shooting Reticule), oscillating wildly in all directions.

I'm using Win 8.1, Microsoft supposedly has a fix for it, which is:

"Mouse pointer stutters or freezes when you play certain games in Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2

Symptoms
When you play certain desktop games in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2, the mouse pointer freezes or stutters. "

And the way to fix it is explained here:

https://support.micr...n-us/kb/2907016

Before doing any of that I would like to hear suggestions or the way you have fixed it.

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:23 AM

Mouse input in some games is incorrectly scaled on high-DPI devices

Only provided partial information, the above is relevant. Nor have you have not provided any information about your system on whether or not it would benefit from it. But then it is simply a change in compatibility settings for the game (not system) that can be reverted.

Change the compatibility properties, as follows: (added notes, read the troubleshooting section also)

Right-click or press and hold the file explorer icon for the application, and then select Properties.
  • On the Compatibility tab, select the Disable display scaling on high DPI settings check box.
  • Tap or click Apply, and then tap or click OK.
CPU, GPU, monitor, mouse (wired or wireless, and if wireless does the issue appear with a wired mouse?), updated software, other appliances that could cause interference?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 25 November 2016 - 11:30 AM.

#3 Pulse Nova

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:04 PM

The issue appears with a wired USB mouse, and I really can't think of any updated or recent installed programs that could be interfering with the resolution of the program itself or the mouses.

I have enabled the "Disable display scaling..." on the Compability Tab. I'm going to do a few hours of Gaming to see if the issue recurs, I will post back.

#4 Pulse Nova

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:54 PM

Played for another 40 minutes or so, and the issue came back at first play.

It stops when I Lock Arms, with Shift pressed, it stops immediately, but it seems that it gets a little bit Jerky after a while of having em' locked, not really sure. It's hard to tell with the low FPS and running at 150 Kmph.

I have no idea what to do, as this blocks me from playing.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:35 PM

View PostPulse Nova, on 25 November 2016 - 06:54 PM, said:

Played for another 40 minutes or so, and the issue came back at first play.

It stops when I Lock Arms, with Shift pressed, it stops immediately, but it seems that it gets a little bit Jerky after a while of having em' locked, not really sure. It's hard to tell with the low FPS and running at 150 Kmph.

I have no idea what to do, as this blocks me from playing.

Change Lock Arms shortcut to Toggle Lock Arms, this will allow you to switch from Lock/Unlock Lock Arms without having to enter settings.

Brand/model of mice. Unplug and plug it into a different USB port.

Now, low FPS and running 150kph? Locust. When you say low, what is low? And what happens when piloting a slower mech?

What is your system specs? Generate and post your dxdiag, at least the beginning to just pass the sound card entry. Also note brand/model of monitor. And what are your pings to relative servers.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 25 November 2016 - 08:37 PM.

#6 Pulse Nova

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:34 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 25 November 2016 - 08:35 PM, said:

Change Lock Arms shortcut to Toggle Lock Arms, this will allow you to switch from Lock/Unlock Lock Arms without having to enter settings.

Done.

Brand/model of mice. Unplug and plug it into a different USB port.

Laser, toggle between 2.000 thousand dps and 1.600 dps. Sometimes I go down to 800 and 400, but rarely. Brought down the Sensitivity of the mouse In Game and applied some smoothness and acceleration. It works best but it keeps oscillating. Tried all USB ports, still jerks.

Now, low FPS and running 150kph? Locust. When you say low, what is low? And what happens when piloting a slower mech?

No dude, low Frames per Second lol - Last time I checked (just now) it was at around 8-10 fps, it might be this low cause of an issue related to the cursor. When piloting Slower Mechs still Jerks.

What is your system specs?

Medium, good brand, for a Gaming PC.

Generate and post your dxdiag, at least the beginning to just pass the sound card entry.

Everything passed the dxdiag

Also note brand/model of monitor.

Pc Brand. It works well for gaming. Laptop.

And what are your pings to relative servers.

To game servers, rarely gets below 126.

I saw another post not so old about this same issue, and he fixed it with the Microsoft trick posted up there. I'm gonna wait till monday and write the support guys as this is going nowhere, and for a well developed game this is bullocks.

I don't know what might have triggered this, from one second to the other, suddenly. It was working seamlessly just 4 or 5 days ago.

If you have another suggestion please do write it down, it might help the support guys. They work monday till friday. Thanks for your time Tarl.

#7 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:50 AM

Pc Brand. It works well for gaming. Laptop.

Frak, I feel like a dentist trying to pull a tooth without any anaesthesia.

The dxdiag info was to see the details of your laptop. It helps cut by limiting search parameters. Same with the mouse info and which software is being used with it. PGI tech support will be asking for just about the same info, as they will not have any real info if you provide them with what has just been posted. Remember, they will NOT have your laptop in their possession.

System or software updates may have affected your touchpad. Do you still have your touchpad enabled while using your USB mouse?

Also, have you tried changing the surface the mouse is on? Other devices that may next to the laptop, bright lights shining off the surface, or EMF signals from non-grounded power cords that may have been moved around/near the laptop?

No dude, low Frames per Second lol - Last time I checked (just now) it was at around 8-10 fps, it might be this low cause of an issue related to the cursor. When piloting Slower Mechs still Jerks.
Low FPS while moving @ a high rate of speed.

If your FPS is dropping to 8-10 (shudders) and a new gaming laptop, your system is likely dropping your CPU to low settings.

Control Panel, power options, set to High performance, and the power is plugged in, you are not running off just the battery? Disable Turbo Boost, setting it 98% instead of the 99%. You can create your own Power options.

http://www.tautvidas...el-turbo-boost/

#8 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:17 AM

Yes, the crosshair goes absolutely nuts at super low framerates. If you are indeed getting 8-10 fps in game, then that is why your aim is spazzing.

If you're on a laptop, do you have the power settings set to the maximum performance available? Contrary to what Tarl Cabot says above, you should have Turbo Boost enabled if you have it. If your having thermal issues (the CPU or GPU gets really hot after a while of playing, and then throttles and your framerate dips into single digits, which can be really bad for your computer), then use the user.cfg to limit your framerate so it doesn't go any higher than you need it to. I have MWO limited to about 30 fps on my laptop, because it would thermal throttle otherwise, and I really don't need more then 30 fps when I average about 30 fps anyways. My Lenovo also has an option to keep the fan on at max speed, so that helps as well (just remember to turn something like that off again after you're done playing).

If you can comfortably get higher than 30 fps consistently, and you don't have thermal issues, then go for it. But if you struggle in the low 20s or worse, then you probably shouldn't be playing MWO on that computer. Generate a dxdiag and share it with us and we can see exactly what your specs are and roughly what you should expect out of the system in terms of performance in MWO.

#9 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

^^^

I knew I was forgetting something!! user.cfg will have to be created and placed in your main MWO folder ( not the saved game portion).

sys_MaxFPS = 30

Also, set shadows to low.

PS, PGI tech support will have you uninstall then install MWO and delete your character profiles in the Saved Games section.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 26 November 2016 - 12:35 PM.

#10 Pulse Nova

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:03 PM

Yeah, I'm gonna wait for the support guys so I don't start going in a direction and then told to go another by Techs.

Actually, and surprisingly, my Touchpad isn't working. I mean, it doesn't scroll, it does not respond to the parameter input in the Control Software. (Atm I'm not using a mouse, it should work)

I come from a Mac environment, which I used for work, and things like this never happened. So I'm gonna wait until Monday.

Thanks for all the tips described above, as they can totally help me when communicating with Technical Support. I mean, 5 days ago I was playing happily and did not had even a minor bug.

Probably is some tweak I have to make to my OS, not the Game. As only I have encounter one person with this issue in all the forums in my Google search.

Edited by Pulse Nova, 26 November 2016 - 02:07 PM.

#11 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:15 PM

I come from a Mac environment, which I used for work, and things like this never happened. So I'm gonna wait until Monday.

Just going to say this, good luck. IT support, regardless of the program, generally has tier 1 techs reading from a script, an outline, that includes the basics such Steam or Standalone? Steam-Run Check integrity, Standalone-Run Repair Tool, then uninstall/install game. Followed by uninstalling and reinstalling GPU drivers, etc.

What has been provided goes outside the basic IT script. Low FPS + twitchy mouse has your system struggling trying to run both the game and base software.

Setting the Power Options then creating user.cfg are the basic initial steps players have taken when trying to play MWO on a LAPTOP. The balanced power options even affect desktop systems.

A PC is neither a MAC nor.. (chuckles) never mind...

Just remember, this thread will still be here next week, and good luck!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users