21 replies to this topic

#1 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:05 PM

Edited by _____, 07 September 2021 - 11:00 PM.

#2 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:48 PM

I don't know how many times I've run a Hunchie with a STD 225 or 235 engine ad things worked out just fine, like they say: speed is for running away!

Actually, one of the most fun builds for me was to pretend I was a mini-Summoner; far from meta, but simple and pretty fun:
[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...de268088b0cc263[/smurfy]

I think my original build used an XL 225: and yes, I'm okay with a Hunchback with an XL, primarily since without your hunch, you are basically just wasting time.

Edited by stealthraccoon, 26 November 2016 - 02:48 PM.

#3 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 03:17 PM

Speed is also useful for repositioning. Higher engine also means you can twist faster.

#4 Warglbargl

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:04 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d55088cd8940c73

This.

That is all.

#5 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:02 AM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 25 November 2016 - 10:05 PM, said:

In this video I take an in-depth look at the modern Grid Iron and its builds. Includes a gameplay demo of my preferred build.

Good effort.
I would hazard a guess that BJ-1DC would be an even better Gauss/AC5 platform. If has even better mobility and weapon quirks. You could go with Gauss+5ML or 2xAC5+6SL.

Edited by Kmieciu, 28 November 2016 - 02:04 AM.

#6 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:06 AM

Well not quite the old GI but still 30% more cb's per match

GAUSS RIFLE COOLDOWN: 10.00 %
BALLISTIC COOLDOWN: 20.00 %

Plus Gauss Module Cool down of 12%

42% off cool down and Pilot Skill cooldown even more still makes for an effective mech. Sure wont be the meta-darling but still go out and preform well once you get used to using a Gauss Rifle

Have had a GI for long time and it like all my Hunchies have a special place in my heart. Look forward to my friends all getting one and us going Hunting with lance of them.. PULL!!!!! BOOOOM

Edited by Mad Ox, 28 November 2016 - 08:06 AM.

#7 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:33 AM

I'm not sure how I feel if the recommended build (the 2AC5 one) is almost the same as people are running on their VND-1X, with worse mounts but better quirks. ^^"

Even this one-out-of-100 match, where you put almost every round of ammo into a target and the match ends when the ammo does, shows how little scary you are for the enemy, throwing your 10 dmg here and there at their Mechs.

Edit:
Did you try any of the LBX experiments people were linking in the other thread?
Or did you focus on longer ranges to utilize the high mount advantage of the HBK?

Edited by Kuaron, 29 November 2016 - 05:35 AM.

#8 hordes1ayer2

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:53 PM

How do i get the free Grid Iron?? The title says learn to love your FREE Grid iron

#9 Warglbargl

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:47 PM

View Posthordes1ayer2, on 29 November 2016 - 02:53 PM, said:

How do i get the free Grid Iron?? The title says learn to love your FREE Grid iron

Complete all challenges for the current Kerensky Bowl event.

#10 Nephologist

• PipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 74 posts
  • LocationEastern Shore

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:00 PM

If you're just finding out about it now, it might be too late.

#11 DJ Sikosis

• PipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 24 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:04 PM

Yeah I don't think I'll be get getting one for free in the Kerensky event ... I've got all the challenges except the 150 destroy components.

#12 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:35 PM

Check this page to see if you qualify: https://mwomercs.com...=201611kerensky

View PostDJSikosis, on 29 November 2016 - 05:04 PM, said:

Yeah I don't think I'll be get getting one for free in the Kerensky event ... I've got all the challenges except the 150 destroy components.

You still have two days to complete the challenge. The reward is worth the effort:

Posted Image

#13 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:49 PM

View PostKuaron, on 29 November 2016 - 05:33 AM, said:

I'm not sure how I feel if the recommended build (the 2AC5 one) is almost the same as people are running on their VND-1X, with worse mounts but better quirks. ^^"

Even this one-out-of-100 match, where you put almost every round of ammo into a target and the match ends when the ammo does, shows how little scary you are for the enemy, throwing your 10 dmg here and there at their Mechs.

Edit:
Did you try any of the LBX experiments people were linking in the other thread?
Or did you focus on longer ranges to utilize the high mount advantage of the HBK?

The mounts are pretty significant for a few reasons. 1. the 1X's arm is super vulnerable, less structure and armor than the HBK RT and quite large as well. Not that the HBK RT is safe but it's perhaps more so than the 1X's arm. 2. Less exposure, which is always good 3. you can hit almost anything you see. An arm mounted weapon sometimes will often hit the edge of a ridge that some mech is peeking over.

If you're doing like 500-600 something damage in a medium, as a normal player in the public queue, you've done your part in the match. The GI and other HBKs generally aren't carry mechs and you shouldn't expect them to be. When you pilot a GI or something similar, you've pretty much consciously made the decision to not expect to carry games, but to contribute firepower to mechs that can. If a player wants to carry, then pilot a Battlemaster or something right?

The LBX10 just doesn't do well at mid-range. In this game it's not designed to be a mid-range weapon, despite the optimal range value on the weapon.

#14 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:24 AM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 30 November 2016 - 08:49 PM, said:

The LBX10 just doesn't do well at mid-range. In this game it's not designed to be a mid-range weapon, despite the optimal range value on the weapon.

Yes, the latter question was, if this (the short effective range) was the reason you didn't test it, or if you did but didn't like it well enough to even mention in the vid.

If you're doing like 500-600 something damage in a medium, as a normal player in the public queue, you've done your part in the match.

You even do if you only are doing 350+ dmg sometimes. But the match you are showing is a very rare one, you are mainly running around in the open with a free choice of targets and being ignored because your team is pushing, but not killing the enemy too fast to leave enough of them for you. Ofc, you do your job in supporting and hit your shots.
I'm only wondering if the build actually has something interesting to offer.

(I could just try it, my GI should have arrived in the meantime today.)

Edited by Kuaron, 01 December 2016 - 08:25 AM.

#15 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:59 AM

View PostDJSikosis, on 29 November 2016 - 05:04 PM, said:

I had a lot of trouble early on with component destruction because I was skilling up my Kit Fox hero and dropping in some mediums; I ended up having to concentrate on dropping in my King Crabs to get the component destruction count up enough to get the Grid Iron.

#16 Autologus

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:56 AM

I did all my component destruction in a Commando 2d, I finished about 4 days ago.

#17 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:11 PM

Yes, the component destruction was the only challenging part of this challenge, if there was any apart of playing the game daily.

When I trying to finish it fast to have it out of the way last week, SPL-Stormcrow appeared to be rather effective.

#18 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:56 PM

View PostKuaron, on 01 December 2016 - 08:24 AM, said:

Yes, the latter question was, if this (the short effective range) was the reason you didn't test it, or if you did but didn't like it well enough to even mention in the vid.

You even do if you only are doing 350+ dmg sometimes. But the match you are showing is a very rare one, you are mainly running around in the open with a free choice of targets and being ignored because your team is pushing, but not killing the enemy too fast to leave enough of them for you. Ofc, you do your job in supporting and hit your shots.
I'm only wondering if the build actually has something interesting to offer.

(I could just try it, my GI should have arrived in the meantime today.)

I think if you'd rather do short range, go with the AC20 since it allows you to shoot and twist. LBX10 at close range with a 20% cooldown is pretty much staring at them in the face. You don't have time to twist and reaim within the cooldown period. If you're simply staring at the enemy, you're better off with 2xAC5s anyway since it also gives you the midrange option.

In the video I tried to be clear when the GI works and when it doesn't. Of course I can show a case where it's completely lame, but that's not that fun to watch :)

#19 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:31 PM

Ah, ok, sounds reasonable.

#20 Blue Frog

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 89 posts
  • LocationWhere You Least Expect...

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:38 PM

I've been running Blackhawk's build except I went went with one more ML and one less ton of ammo. i like it a lot. I think it's the most effective built I have used on the GI.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users