Missile Indecision

10 replies to this topic

#1 Evil Roy Slade

Rookie

• The Widow Maker
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:15 AM

Look I don't know why they made LRM's OP again, but if you're going to do it at least bring ECM back up to par to counter it. Hell anymore everything counter's ECM and 90M range is a joke. Hey I have a wildly crazy idea leave missiles they way they are now put ecm back the way it was when originated but make them like table top so LOS is required for LRM's. Only mechs not actively engaged in combat or tag or tarc can spot for indirect fire... Let those guys run missile boats when they have to quit hiding and find their OWN targets... Right now the game really just isn't any fun. Unless you're a missile boat most maps don't provide enough cover for a brawler/assault to get close enough to be any threat. Don't gimme this B.S. about my game play... been playing since founder, just didn't have the dough for a founder package. I've spent plenty over the years though so it's not like I'm some freebie player expecting the world. I DO however expect mechs I purchased with REAL money to perform the way they did when I purchased them. To go "quirking" around with them because somebody didn't think it was fair is crap. They can purchase the Mech too if they like... Don't drag me down because you want to cheap out, (typical liberal thinking, drag down the excellent into mediocrity). Back to the case in point, if by the chance you do manage to finally get in close you've been so tore up you're a one shot kill... So I can't really have any fun playing anymore because standing behind a hill throwing missiles at one another is hardly my idea of fun, but the alternative is to be the poor sap that watches his team get decimated by 3 lrm boats...until it's finally my turn, that is on the rare occasion that I'm not first while trying to close the distance.

Fix the missiles and quite catering to the babies who don't want to play this game the way it was meant to be played in the first place. If you're going to insist on making the missiles such a powerful part of game play at least require some modicum of skill to use them.

#2 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:44 AM

You should try using LRM boat yourself.
You will find out that most maps provide enough cover to dodge your missiles.
If both teams are timid, and decide to poke with long range weapons, LRMs boats will be rendered useless because everyone will just hug cover.

Edited by Kmieciu, 29 November 2016 - 02:47 AM.

#3 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:59 AM

Funny thing is....the vast majority of those LRM boats are piloted by people that truly don't understand the weapon system.

LRMs self destruct at 1000m (1100m with a module) and are most effective at 400-600m.

Gauss, ERPPC and ERLL all outrange them....especially with the range modules and a targeting computer. Just stay out of range and let them waste their ammo while you cut them down. Works all the time.

#4 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:03 PM

View PostKmieciu, on 29 November 2016 - 02:44 AM, said:

You should try using LRM boat yourself.
[...]

I do. I find them better than average, but not really too OP.

View PostWillard Phule, on 29 November 2016 - 03:59 AM, said:

Funny thing is....the vast majority of those LRM boats are piloted by people that truly don't understand the weapon system.

LRMs self destruct at 1000m (1100m with a module) and are most effective at 400-600m.

Gauss, ERPPC and ERLL all outrange them....especially with the range modules and a targeting computer. Just stay out of range and let them waste their ammo while you cut them down. Works all the time.

Doesn't work when there isn't enough open space to snipe. LRMs work without you needing to peek.

That said, I find LRMs work nicely in the 300-600m range. Don't be afraid to use armor and get your own locks. Always have back-up weapons :)

#5 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:10 PM

View PostFox the Apprentice, on 30 November 2016 - 02:03 PM, said:

I do. I find them better than average, but not really too OP.

Doesn't work when there isn't enough open space to snipe. LRMs work without you needing to peek.

That said, I find LRMs work nicely in the 300-600m range. Don't be afraid to use armor and get your own locks. Always have back-up weapons Posted Image

With direct fire you can peek, shoot and be back in cover before the lermmer has a target lock.

Sure lerms can use team mates target locks, thus are able to shoot without peeking.
That's the unique feature of LRM's, indirect fire.

And why I like Narc so much - Que evil laugh Muahahahahahahaha

Though lermers consistently doing this are not sharing their Armour and so are disadvantaging their team.

And once their team dies, they die soon after

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 01 December 2016 - 08:56 PM.

#6 Adak

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:57 PM

LRM boats overpowered? Really? I can't honestly tell if you're confused or just plain stupid. LRM boats tend to be so defenseless once someone actuley gets right up on them either because of total lack of proper piloting or just being completely too slow to do anything at close range. LRMs a underpowered if anything.

#7 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:44 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 30 November 2016 - 06:10 PM, said:

With direct fire you can peek, shoot and be back in cover before the lermmer has a target lock.

Sure lerms can use team mates target locks, thus are able to shoot without peeking.
That's the unique feature of LRM's, indirect fire.

And why I like Narc so much - Que evil laugh Muahahahahahahaha

Though lermers consistently doing this are not sharing their Armour and so are disadvantaging their team.

And once their team dies, they die soon after

LRMs can direct fire, too.

I find the best way to go is a hybrid - boating LRMs can really hurt your team.

#8 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:50 PM

View PostAdak, on 02 December 2016 - 01:57 PM, said:

LRM boats overpowered? Really? I can't honestly tell if you're confused or just plain stupid. LRM boats tend to be so defenseless once someone actuley gets right up on them either because of total lack of proper piloting or just being completely too slow to do anything at close range. LRMs a underpowered if anything.

I never made this claim, though the OP did. A dedicated LRM is defenseless up close, but a hybrid works well enough. They should be right with their teammates anyways, and too many LRMs is a disadvantage.

Also, they'll strip enough of your armor as you close to make the reduced close-range DPS worth it, unless the whole team is sticking their head in the sand (it happens more often than it should).

IMO they need neither a buff nor a nerf. If one HAD to happen, I'd prefer a nerf to a buff. Just 'cause ACs sound cooler when you shoot them Posted Image

#9 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:25 PM

Better skill indexing is what LRMs need.

The skill ceiling for LRMs can be found somewhere in the Mariana Trench; no amount of practice with LRMs will let you take a 1v1 against a competent direct fire pilot.

On the other side of the coin, LRMs LOOK pretty overpowered in a fight between two tier 5 players. I've not used LRMs for years, and I could make an alt and absolutely destroy with them in a T5 match.

Better lock-on, missile tracking and indirect fire mechanics designed to make LRMs more interactive and dynamic are what would finally make the weapon system useful against good players while not overpowered against potatoes.

...Of course, that's what we've been saying since closed beta, so it isn't as if we're going to get anything like that in this game's lifetime.

#10 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:53 AM

View PostBigBad Leroy Brown, on 27 November 2016 - 09:15 AM, said:

Look I don't know why they made LRM's OP again, but if you're going to do it at least bring ECM back up to par to counter it. Hell anymore everything counter's ECM and 90M range is a joke. Hey I have a wildly crazy idea leave missiles they way they are now put ecm back the way it was when originated but make them like table top so LOS is required for LRM's. Only mechs not actively engaged in combat or tag or tarc can spot for indirect fire... Let those guys run missile boats when they have to quit hiding and find their OWN targets... Right now the game really just isn't any fun. Unless you're a missile boat most maps don't provide enough cover for a brawler/assault to get close enough to be any threat. Don't gimme this B.S. about my game play... been playing since founder, just didn't have the dough for a founder package. I've spent plenty over the years though so it's not like I'm some freebie player expecting the world. I DO however expect mechs I purchased with REAL money to perform the way they did when I purchased them. To go "quirking" around with them because somebody didn't think it was fair is crap. They can purchase the Mech too if they like... Don't drag me down because you want to cheap out, (typical liberal thinking, drag down the excellent into mediocrity). Back to the case in point, if by the chance you do manage to finally get in close you've been so tore up you're a one shot kill... So I can't really have any fun playing anymore because standing behind a hill throwing missiles at one another is hardly my idea of fun, but the alternative is to be the poor sap that watches his team get decimated by 3 lrm boats...until it's finally my turn, that is on the rare occasion that I'm not first while trying to close the distance.

Fix the missiles and quite catering to the babies who don't want to play this game the way it was meant to be played in the first place. If you're going to insist on making the missiles such a powerful part of game play at least require some modicum of skill to use them.

Uh wow...there where no noteworthy changes to LRMs since .... yea the big LRM nerf where they removed splash dmg from missiles and weakend their tracking abilitys and speed. (that was YEARS ago)

ATM LRMs are the weakest weapons along with AC2, but a bit better than MG and Flamer.
Damn you can even sidestep and LRM flight piloting a banshee. I would think 1 of 5 times I get incoming missiles they actually hit me at all but even now 80 to 90% of the flights missiles just hit stuff around me instead of my mech.

#11 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:58 AM

.....and, let's face it. PGI simply does not have the ability to code any form of functional matchmaker. Never has. Every match is going to equate to "the better you are, the harder you carry."

There are FAR more potatoes out there that just stand in one spot, zoom in and hold target locks than there are pilots that actually know how to use them effectively. They're the #1 favored weapon for those that can't aim.

So...why not put this whole PSR thing to an actual use. Use it as some kind of multiplier for the damage or something. that way, even a LRM Cheetah can "help."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users