Which Medium Hero? (Or Light?)

19 replies to this topic

#1 GrumpyMuppet

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:05 PM

With Black Friday sale coming I bought some mc. I was hoping I'd have enough left over for a black widow or tempest, but I don't. I do have enough for any of the medium / light heroes and 2 more mechbays...so which mech?

Currently have: ravens (easy favourite mechs), blackjacks, hunchbacks, warhammers and am buying battle master mastery pack.

I've narrowed it down to pheonix hawk and firestarter as I like my mechs to be fast,and I want something that is different enough from my raven that I won't just want to play it more.
Is the firestarter or pheonix hawk capable against ( other) lights? (Where the raven really struggles). I'm not locked in to one of these two, open to suggestions!

Edited by GrumpyMuppet, 27 November 2016 - 08:50 PM.

#2 Warglbargl

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:26 PM

If you enjoy lights you should own a Pirates' Bane.

#3 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:43 PM

The Firestarter has been getting mix reviews since the re-scale but that's because of all the super close range builds. It's allot harder to give a Atlas 8X SPL hugs we you can no longer duck that AC/20

#4 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:22 PM

Get the Pirates Bane. Spend the rest on mech bays.

Edited by Spheroid, 27 November 2016 - 11:27 PM.

#5 TAKTCOM

• 1,568 posts
  • LocationRussia, Rostov-on-Don

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:01 AM

View PostGrumpyMuppet, on 27 November 2016 - 08:05 PM, said:

I do have enough for any of the medium / light heroes and 2 more mechbays...so which mech?...pheonix hawk capable against ( other) lights?
I have ROC and i can only agree with

View Postepikt, on 23 November 2016 - 03:10 AM, said:

- Kuroi-Kiri / Roc (Phoenix Hawks) : two of the weakest PHX variants

Edited by TAKTCOM, 28 November 2016 - 01:01 AM.

#6 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:51 AM

phoenix hawks are making my vindicators look good at this point.

#7 GrumpyMuppet

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:43 AM

The locust looks so... Unforgiving. The locust thread in the first page of the lights page gives it pretty mixed reviews. But I do love lights, and would like a light that can deal with other lights (Ravens not so good in this regard, although the huggin does okay).

Message heard and understood re: pheonix hawk.

#8 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:31 AM

Best lights and medium heros are: Pirates Bane (Locust), Oxide (Jenner), Yen-Lo-Wang (Centurion), Sparky (Griffin) and Loup de guerre (Trebuchet).
In my humble opinion.

But for a more personalized answer, based on your current garage and preferences, I'd say the Raven Huginn. To be honest it is not as good as the Oxide. But it will give you different options than your Ravens (especially it's much more brawl capable).
If you want to buy a hero from a mech you don't already own, I'd say the Sparky. Not only it's a pretty good Hero, but the Griffins are good overall.

(and I'll have to agree with myself, the Phoenix Hawk heros are just not good)

#9 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:37 AM

You might also consider the Death's Knell (hero Commando). It's one of the fastest mechs in the game, so it's fun for high speed drive bys and generally driving while drinking. The speed makes it somewhat forgiving.

#10 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:13 AM

View PostNRP, on 28 November 2016 - 10:37 AM, said:

You might also consider the Death's Knell (hero Commando). It's one of the fastest mechs in the game, so it's fun for high speed drive bys and generally driving while drinking. The speed makes it somewhat forgiving.

The Pirate bane is far better. I Own the bane and the TDK, since i got the bane i'm not running the commando anymore.

It's same speed + ECM + better quirks. With 4x SPL or 4xML it's a beast.

#11 TAKTCOM

• 1,568 posts
  • LocationRussia, Rostov-on-Don

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:17 AM

View PostTanar, on 28 November 2016 - 05:51 AM, said:

phoenix hawks are making my vindicators look good at this point.
Pfff, vindicators don't have ECM, MASK, high hardpoints and (mostly) speed. Phoenix hawks for MS are bad, not all phoenix hawks.

#12 Kurvi

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:00 PM

If it were just about the mech, I've got good things to say about the Firestarter, even after the re-scale. However, the Firestarter Hero ("Ember"), isn't worth much unless you really like machine guns. Note also that all the energy hardpoints are on the arms. You really want to use the FS9-S/FS9-A, depending on your style.

I've never tried the Pirate's Bane, but I've had mixed results with Locusts. My impression is that they're more of an anti-assault than anti-light, and the ECM from the PB is really only to help with the former.

Would strongly suggest you look at the Oxide and Sparky. The former is a wonderful srm bomber, and the latter is large, but can get to 110kph if you max out the engine. Otherwise, just get a couple of extra mechbays.

#13 Nullmancer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:15 PM

don't get Pirates Bane unless you are already good with locusts.

Firestarter hero is kinda meh. Raven hero is also meh, so is Spider, Deathknell if you are good already at Locusts/Commando's, The Jenner hero is strong and is a worthy buy if your willing to learn Jenner's.

Mediums get more interesting, but some are still kinda crappy.

The cicada X-5 is good, Blackjack hero is kinda meh, but can do well under some circumstances, Vindicator Hero is kinda crappy, and Vindicator's themselves need help, Centurian hero is good,if a bit limited in build choices, grid iron is so close to the 4G to almost make it not worth your time. Trebuchet hero aint that great, the entire trebuchet line has difficulties due to its design and hardpoint placement. Griffin hero Sparky is good, other griffins are somewhat underquirked but have really good missile hardpoints. Kintaro hero seems alright, especially if you want to spam LRM 5's, Shadowhawk hero is very same-y to all the other shadowhawks, It honestly doesn't stand out enough to make it a must buy, I feel. Wolverine hero has a weird mix of hardpoints and quirks that make it a good poker I guess, but I feel it is ultimately forgettable.

TL/DR

I suggest you consider the Cicada, Centurian, Griffin or the Jenner hero for the best bang for your buck with current quirks in mind.

ones not to get are definitely the Vindicator and Trebuchet and all the other ones are either meh, or too similar to other variants of the chassis or only worth buying if your a strong fan of the mech.

i own the cicada, Blackjack, trebuchet, shadowhawk and locust hero's and am about to also be a proud owner of a shiny, new Sparky as well.

Edited by Nullmancer, 28 November 2016 - 04:18 PM.

#14 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:45 PM

The best and most versatile medium (or light) hero is Sparky, IMO. Almost any energy build you want works on it.

#15 Nullmancer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:58 PM

after purchasing said Sparky, I got to say its a pig X(

but it got better when i dropped the LPL's to LL's and tossed a 350 XL in it. Im around 3000 xp into mastering it and I was losing all night with crappy scores. Thanks free premium time!

it's also hot as ****.

SPARKY

#16 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:22 PM

I had a great run with my sparky until I hit Tier 2, it's a real monster in the right hands.

#17 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:12 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 27 November 2016 - 11:22 PM, said:

Get the Pirates Bane. Spend the rest on mech bays.

Picked up a Pirates Banes for half price 750MC Posted Image

#18 GrumpyMuppet

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:33 PM

View PostAleski, on 28 November 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

The Pirate bane is far better. I Own the bane and the TDK, since i got the bane i'm not running the commando anymore.

It's same speed + ECM + better quirks. With 4x SPL or 4xML it's a beast.

Best advice. I got the pirates bane (and sparky but not running it til I can afford endo and dhs). Best. Fun. Ever. I have a lot to learn, but the locust can get to places the raven can't. 4ml is a lot of damage for something so small. Thanks for the advice, wouldn't have done it without the suggestion.

#19 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:42 AM

View PostNullmancer, on 28 November 2016 - 10:58 PM, said:

after purchasing said Sparky, I got to say its a pig X(

but it got better when i dropped the LPL's to LL's and tossed a 350 XL in it. Im around 3000 xp into mastering it and I was losing all night with crappy scores. Thanks free premium time!

it's also hot as ****.

SPARKY

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0dc5c60ff5f3462

I run mine like this. Less Alpha but it's cooler and you have better speed, and better duration on dat MPL... Maybe try it, it can be really fun !

#20 Nullmancer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:25 PM

thanks for the suggestion, I know that would do good but I really, really don't want another med pulse boat.

but if I did, i'd have to drop the engine and a heatsink for more jumpjets, I cant abide single JJ.

Edited by Nullmancer, 03 December 2016 - 11:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users