How Should Ammo Be Distributed?

6 replies to this topic

#1 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:58 AM

I read "[Guide] Ammo Depleting Priorities Or In What Order Is Your Ammo Being Used" and I quickly scanned the replies, but didn't see anything about how ammo should be distributed. For instance if I build a missile boat I'll put one box in every part of the mech so if I lose an arm I only lose one box of ammo. Is this idea sound or is there a better way?

#2 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:06 AM

View PostLMP, on 29 November 2016 - 05:58 AM, said:

so if I lose an arm I only lose one box of ammo

This is not how you should think.
The problem with ammo is "if a box of ammo explode, will it destroy my mech or not?" Survival is the main concern. Mostly on IS mechs, since all clan components are CASE-protected.

So.
In an InnerSphere mech, there aren't really good storage locations. Legs are often a "less worst", especially if you run an XL engine. So is the head. If you have a STD engine, you can use a CASE in a side torso and store your ammo on this side. edit: arms are often used as shields, you don't store ammo on a shield.
In a clan mech you have more flexibility. For exemple, if you weapons are not spread all over your mech you can store the ammo near the weapon.
(not sure if I'm clear...)

Edited by epikt, 29 November 2016 - 10:08 AM.

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:16 AM

View Postepikt, on 29 November 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

This is not how you should think.
The problem with ammo is "if a box of ammo explode, will it destroy my mech or not?" Survival is the main concern. Mostly on IS mechs, since all clan components are CASE-protected.

So.
In an InnerSphere mech, there aren't really good storage locations. Legs are often a "less worst", especially if you run an XL engine. So is the head. If you have a STD engine, you can use a CASE in a side torso and store your ammo on this side. edit: arms are often used as shields, you don't store ammo on a shield.
In a clan mech you have more flexibility. For exemple, if you weapons are not spread all over your mech you can store the ammo near the weapon.
(not sure if I'm clear...)

I don't agree, for once. Posted Image Ammo, even if critted out and destroyed, only has a 10% chance of explosion. I actually split it into half tons and use it to crit pad more important things sometimes (losing ammo is bad, losing a gun is worse).

OP, I'm sorry there's not an easy answer. Ammo placement is much more art than science. It depends on the mech's geometry, build and how it plays. Some mechs shield with one side, some naturally almost never get STed, some lose legs much more often, etc.

A couple things that are generally good:
-Heads are rarely struck, you're often dead if they are anyway and head ammo is consumed last, so it's almost always a good place for a full ton.
-CT is consumed first, so think about how much ammo you get through before you're opened up. On a lot of builds, you can stick two full tons in there and figure it'll be gone before it has any real chance of being critted out (especially on large-volley SRM builds).
-With the gun is often a good idea. Because once the gun is gone, who needs ammo? This is especially true of gauss rifles, which have an almost-certainty of explosion when critted out. Pad those bad boys with half-tons of inert gauss ammo.

Edited by TercieI, 29 November 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#4 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:45 PM

View PostTercieI, on 29 November 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

I don't agree, for once. Posted Image

The disappointment is strong ! Posted Image

You're making good points. And I must confess I'm not really comfortable with ammo storage, so maybe not the most educated opinion. Laser vomit is the answer!

#5 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:53 PM

View PostLMP, on 29 November 2016 - 05:58 AM, said:

I read "[Guide] Ammo Depleting Priorities Or In What Order Is Your Ammo Being Used" and I quickly scanned the replies, but didn't see anything about how ammo should be distributed. For instance if I build a missile boat I'll put one box in every part of the mech so if I lose an arm I only lose one box of ammo. Is this idea sound or is there a better way?

As Terciel pointed out, there's only a 10% chance of any given ammo slot exploding if it's destroyed directly by a crit (as opposed to being in a destroyed limb.) Additionally, a ton of nearly any ammunition will blast any Battlemech to pieces, even without an XL engine, while OmniMechs come with CASE for every component. This means that your strategy of placing ammo around your 'mech to avoid losing all of it at once is quite valid, and something I do myself - also try to concentrate ammunition in areas that are normally not destroyed before your 'mech is cored. =)

#6 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:57 PM

PS: My favorite spot to stash ammo is the head, assuming I'm not using it for anything else. (cue sarcastic commentary.)

#7 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:07 PM

The Marxist way.

JK

1. NEVER in the legs, unless you're an assault, you don't have much to begin with and you ran out of the best crit spaces, or you are really good at not being legged.

2. Never go more than two tons of ammo in a single component without CASE. You'll regret it.

3. I suggest putting heat sinks in areas where there is ammo if and when you can. It makes it a bit less likely for your ammo your get critted out and explode. This is what's called crit padding.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users