9 replies to this topic

#1 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:55 PM

I just watched the trailer for the new Blizzard game.... Dauntless. and I just have to know. Who are these people that love giant swords and clubs? It seems so dumb to me. some scrawny little pimple dude with a metal club 2x his size battling some giant bear/eagle/dragon thing. Ugh.. Why don't people develop good games anymore??

#2 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:29 PM

My guess is that the concept of having a huge weapon and dealing god loads of damage with it is all they care about. I would like to see them make a sword that size in real life, out of steel, and if some dude can actually swing that thing without falling over on his butt would be a fantastic task. I have held a Japanese styled sword that was about a half inch thick. It was really heavy. Some of these fantasy swords are just plain unusable in combat. Either they won't hold up or are too impractical to use.

#3 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:02 AM

need to go BIGGER

#4 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:29 AM

I remember thinking it would be cool if someone used titanium or another super strong lightweight metal to forge an oversized sword which could be wielded like a smaller, lighter, weapon.

Apparently that's a bad idea although I don't remember exactly why.

#5 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:58 AM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 07 December 2016 - 03:29 AM, said:

I remember thinking it would be cool if someone used titanium or another super strong lightweight metal to forge an oversized sword which could be wielded like a smaller, lighter, weapon.

Apparently that's a bad idea although I don't remember exactly why.

Wind resistance, likely.

#6 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:53 PM

View Postxengk, on 12 December 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

Wind resistance, likely.

I tried to find the reason.

The best I could come up with is titanium as a metal is too soft per volumetric density to hold a sharp edge of good quality.

#7 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:20 AM

View Postxengk, on 12 December 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

Wind resistance, likely.

sharpness,

impact power.

its amatter of science, most swords ween't made for cutting, th were maqde for slashing, they had to go through entire armors made of metal. F = m*a is the base + some other formuslas, but with a low m your get a low effect. just make a long sheet of a box of paper, add a razor blade and try how deep you can hit into a pice of meat. Won't ptobably cut through a schnitzel I guess. Theres a reaosn why butcher knifes are not thin knifes and more like *BAAAM*.

Edited by Lily from animove, 13 December 2016 - 09:21 AM.

#8 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:43 PM

all depends on what your cutting really, i do bushregeneration (removing weeds from public/private land) and if its small trees you want a fairly thick rigid blade imo, cutting grass/reeds ,thin flexible stuff, you want a near paper thin blade with some flex.

As for battle id guess it would be similar, heavy and rigid weapon to either slash through plate armor or at the least the blunt impact would mess you up, where as a thin flexible blade would slice up anyone wearing thin protection but probably wouldnt do much at all to plate armor.

As for the question i dont know why its appealing, it just seems ridiculous, same with the stupid 'skimpy' armor, i wouldnt want to wear that theres no protection, id be liable to be stabbed or shot in the chest. I think it would depend on your prefered style of gaming, over the top or more realistic.

#9 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:57 AM

Huge bladed swords have a historical basis. One has a grisly background. That is long broad flat swords are used for beheading executions. Never used for combat, but for beheading. There were professional executioners who specialize on this sword and delivering the process swiftly and cleanly, much more preferred than say, using an axe on the neck.

The other is for an anticavalry sword. One particular type of sword for this is the Zhanmadao, which has three Chinese characters that means Chopping Horse Saber. The use of this began in the Song Dynasty of China though it may have begun even earlier in the Tang. Back then, the Chinese were facing opponents from the north that were nomadic horse riding tribes. Many of these cavalry were using heavily armored cataphracts and were difficult to take down even with crossbow.

And so a particular sword was developed to slash down these armored cavalry with one swoop. It has a heavy broad blade, with a long handle that serves to counterbalance the weight, along with a ring pommel for more counterweight. The bladed portion is longer than the back portion, so it has like a machete or butcher's knife look. At first the blade is straight but in the centuries after, it would see curved forms.

To use the Zhanmadao, a specialized corp of soldiers would train with these swords, and the doctrine calls for these soldiers to face an onrushing charge of cavalry --- which takes a lot of guts seeing a massive charge headed your way --- then swing the blade at the last moment, taking out the rider (or his head) down, or swung the blade across the horse's legs which would send the rider crashing, with the next swing aimed to remove the fallen rider's head. There was a particular stroke that calls for "3 heads in one", where in one swing, the blade would cut the head of the opponent's sword, the opponent's head himself, and then the horse's head.

The weapon proved devastatingly effective, and it began to be passed down century after century with existing dynasties, and even as late as the Sino-Japanese War in the modern era, there were still troops training for it. A martial art was developed with its use, and its still practiced today, often with replicas of these weapons though not probably sharing the hugeness and weight of the original forms.

When pronounced in Japanese form, the words Zhan-Ma-Dao becomes Zanbato. Historically Japanese never used true Zanbato unless the weapon was imported, and its not part of the native weapon armory; should not be confused with nakamaki and naginata. Japanese swords do not have ringed pommels, and their blades are consistent in width with their handles, whereas Zanbato have much wider and thicker blades than their handles, with ring pommels at the end.

But somehow 'Zanbato' got absorbed into anime culture, where in it gets further exaggerated like all cartoons do.

However, when you see these kinds of swords that are that big and that thick, these when it comes to the real world, are beheading or execution swords, regardless how they are depicted in the media.

Edited by Anjian, 20 December 2016 - 05:00 AM.

#10 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:10 AM

View PostAnjian, on 20 December 2016 - 04:57 AM, said:

Huge bladed swords have a historical basis. One has a grisly background. That is long broad flat swords are used for beheading executions. Never used for combat, but for beheading. There were professional executioners who specialize on this sword and delivering the process swiftly and cleanly, much more preferred than say, using an axe on the neck.

The other is for an anticavalry sword. One particular type of sword for this is the Zhanmadao, which has three Chinese characters that means Chopping Horse Saber. The use of this began in the Song Dynasty of China though it may have begun even earlier in the Tang. Back then, the Chinese were facing opponents from the north that were nomadic horse riding tribes. Many of these cavalry were using heavily armored cataphracts and were difficult to take down even with crossbow.

And so a particular sword was developed to slash down these armored cavalry with one swoop. It has a heavy broad blade, with a long handle that serves to counterbalance the weight, along with a ring pommel for more counterweight. The bladed portion is longer than the back portion, so it has like a machete or butcher's knife look. At first the blade is straight but in the centuries after, it would see curved forms.

To use the Zhanmadao, a specialized corp of soldiers would train with these swords, and the doctrine calls for these soldiers to face an onrushing charge of cavalry --- which takes a lot of guts seeing a massive charge headed your way --- then swing the blade at the last moment, taking out the rider (or his head) down, or swung the blade across the horse's legs which would send the rider crashing, with the next swing aimed to remove the fallen rider's head. There was a particular stroke that calls for "3 heads in one", where in one swing, the blade would cut the head of the opponent's sword, the opponent's head himself, and then the horse's head.

The weapon proved devastatingly effective, and it began to be passed down century after century with existing dynasties, and even as late as the Sino-Japanese War in the modern era, there were still troops training for it. A martial art was developed with its use, and its still practiced today, often with replicas of these weapons though not probably sharing the hugeness and weight of the original forms.

When pronounced in Japanese form, the words Zhan-Ma-Dao becomes Zanbato. Historically Japanese never used true Zanbato unless the weapon was imported, and its not part of the native weapon armory; should not be confused with nakamaki and naginata. Japanese swords do not have ringed pommels, and their blades are consistent in width with their handles, whereas Zanbato have much wider and thicker blades than their handles, with ring pommels at the end.

But somehow 'Zanbato' got absorbed into anime culture, where in it gets further exaggerated like all cartoons do.

However, when you see these kinds of swords that are that big and that thick, these when it comes to the real world, are beheading or execution swords, regardless how they are depicted in the media.

yes but those movies aren't actutuallly screwign up pyhsics totally. which amkes them like 10000% more pleasureable than those anime 360 spinmachines of death that make every kitches mixer look like a sloth.

Edited by Lily from animove, 20 December 2016 - 05:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users