New Skill Trees Replacing Quirks + Modules? Awesome!

100 replies to this topic

#1 Muzakman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 102 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:16 PM

I love the idea of having this rich set of enhancements and skills for each *individual* 'Mech you own. Really makes it exciting to think of all the possibilities it opens up to customize each 'Mech to my personal play style.

Nice call with the respec too.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:29 PM

How soon is the ETA?

Guess I'll stop buying modules.

Edited by El Bandito, 03 December 2016 - 09:29 PM.

#3 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:31 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 03 December 2016 - 09:29 PM, said:

How soon is the ETA?

Guess I'll stop buying modules.

I believe he said by March. He definitely said all Cbills and XP will be refunded for modules. They also showed off a new UI element that shows how much xp each mech has and can xfer it.

#4 AnTi90d

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:32 PM

So.. now it will take..

3.5 MILLION experience points

..to master each mech.

Posted Image

..the grind is real..

Edited by AnTi90d, 03 December 2016 - 09:33 PM.

#5 Muzakman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 102 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:33 PM

The XP conversion UI changes are in Dec. patch IIRC, with something else I can't recall atm as well in Dec. The skill trees stuff though is Q1

#6 Muzakman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 102 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:38 PM

View PostAnTi90d, on 03 December 2016 - 09:32 PM, said:

So.. now it will take..

3.5 MILLION experience points

..to master each mech.

..the grind is real..

Well, if you consider that the entire concept of "Mastering" a mech is changing to enable/create that end-game content people have been screaming about not having for years, then not really! :)

#7 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:42 PM

No quirks. heh

So a unskilled locust wont even accelerate. heh. heh.

The only real question I have is if this fixes problems that were there before, where OP mechs were OP without any quirks. Or whether this adds even more complexity than the quirks system we have now.

I'm pretty excited with a change though.

#8 Muzakman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 102 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:46 PM

View Postjjm1, on 03 December 2016 - 09:42 PM, said:

The only real question I have is if this fixes problems that were there before, where OP mechs were OP without any quirks. Or whether this adds even more complexity than the quirks system we have now.

I'm pretty excited with a change though.

My take on it (completely informed by what I've just seen so, YMMV) is that it's simpler in that there's no more buying a mech and wondering if new quirks down the road would invalidate the chassis -- you simply spec out that 'mech's skill tree in whatever direction you want.

Key part of your design or style gets nerfed? No problem - respec and adapt the 'mech's quirks and enhancements towards the new "meta" if that's what you want

Edited by Muzakman, 03 December 2016 - 09:47 PM.

#9 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:50 PM

I like the concept but I do see some over use of meta and mechs that will dominate over time.. So lets say some builds where a Locust with bla bla quirk etc.. or even yet a Timberwolf with better quirks than a Inner Sphere mech, so the balance would be off set of the Clan/inner Sphere so no one would pick Inner sphere mechs anymore as the clans have so much of the advantage with XL engines,weapon ranges, loadouts etc...

just a hunch in theory not in reality...

#10 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:50 PM

View PostMuzakman, on 03 December 2016 - 09:46 PM, said:

My take on it (completely informed by what I've just seen so, YMMV) is that it's simpler in that there's no more buying a mech and wondering if new quirks down the road would invalidate the chassis -- you simply spec out that 'mech's skill tree in whatever direction you want.

Key part of your design or style gets nerfed? No problem - respec and adapt the 'mech's quirks and enhancements towards the new "meta" if that's what you want

The whole purpose of quirks to begin was to give a leg up so weaker mechs can compete. So mechs that don't need help, how will they be handled.

#11 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:59 PM

View Postjjm1, on 03 December 2016 - 09:50 PM, said:

The whole purpose of quirks to begin was to give a leg up so weaker mechs can compete. So mechs that don't need help, how will they be handled.

I'm assuming each mech can only have a certain number of the skills unlocked at any given time so weaker mechs will have a higher number of skills available. That or certain mechs just have access to better skills.

#12 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:00 PM

It looked so much better than what i had expected PGI to do. Hopefuly, spending mc for conversion will not be the only way to have a stable fully mastered because right now its easy to do. with limited choices you dont need to make the grind insane.

#13 Muzakman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 102 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:01 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 03 December 2016 - 09:59 PM, said:

I'm assuming each mech can only have a certain number of the skills unlocked at any given time so weaker mechs will have a higher number of skills available. That or certain mechs just have access to better skills.

^ This

#14 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:02 PM

View Postjjm1, on 03 December 2016 - 09:50 PM, said:

Perhaps they plan to give the weaker mechs more skill points or whatever it's going to be. Because seriously, a timberwolf doesn't need it as bad as an Awesome. Even with 5 more tons.

#15 Muzakman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 102 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:03 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 03 December 2016 - 10:00 PM, said:

It looked so much better than what i had expected PGI to do. Hopefuly, spending mc for conversion will not be the only way to have a stable fully mastered because right now its easy to do. with limited choices you dont need to make the grind insane.

Honestly too, it's also a good way to both add a deflation sink to the MC economy and improve/add to PGI's revenue streams. Think of the huge amounts of MC currently being raked in by, shall we say - aggressively successful FP groups are raking in...

#16 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:09 PM

I like how even with this coming Q1 2018, they're not abandoning re-quirk balances of the existing system/mechs until then.

All mech skill XP spent and module GXP refunded 100% and converted to Legacy GXP to add to your existing GXP pool. All module C-bills refunded 100%. You don't have to stop buying modules in the meantime.

#17 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:11 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 03 December 2016 - 09:59 PM, said:

This would be the best way to go. Also, I'd imagine that certain skills would be locked for certain mechs. Hey, who knows, maybe there will be JJ-based Skills for our sleeping friends, the Victor and the Highlander.

#18 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:14 PM

This also means if you like a mech and I mean really LIKE a specific mech, you can keep on skilling it up to be a real master of it and spec it out just right for your playstyle.

#19 Muzakman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 102 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:18 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 03 December 2016 - 10:11 PM, said:

This would be the best way to go. Also, I'd imagine that certain skills would be locked for certain mechs. Hey, who knows, maybe there will be JJ-based Skills for our sleeping friends, the Victor and the Highlander.

Yep. From the technical standpoint, "special" quirks like the Night Gyr's required PGI to do the necessary work to implement that sort of thing, and really this entire skill tree system.

View PostBarantor, on 03 December 2016 - 10:14 PM, said:

This also means if you like a mech and I mean really LIKE a specific mech, you can keep on skilling it up to be a real master of it and spec it out just right for your playstyle.

Especially like this aspect of it -- it opens the possibility for my Orions to get their dust shrouds removed and their reactors started up!

#20 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:24 PM

View PostMuzakman, on 03 December 2016 - 09:16 PM, said:

I love the idea of having this rich set of enhancements and skills for each *individual* 'Mech you own. Really makes it exciting to think of all the possibilities it opens up to customize each 'Mech to my personal play style.

Nice call with the respec too.

Sounds great, until you realize that you can buy one seismic module for 6 million C-bills and move it around the mechs you want to use it on.
Now you'll be spending 6 (?) million c-bills on the skill tree for every mech you want to use it on. Same with weapon modules, etc.

Think the C-bill grind is bad now, it just got 10-fold worse...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users