New Skill Trees Replacing Quirks + Modules? Awesome!

100 replies to this topic

#21 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,930 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:24 PM

View PostBarantor, on 03 December 2016 - 10:14 PM, said:

This also means if you like a mech and I mean really LIKE a specific mech, you can keep on skilling it up to be a real master of it and spec it out just right for your playstyle.

Won't this just make the meta mechs even more meta?

I mean a mech like the Kodiak 3, which doesn't need quirks, will be that much easier to dominate with if you don't have to waste your effort getting it all "leveled" up, where as a mech like the Cataphract or Panther which is only playable due to quirks will take that much more effort to make it playable. No? Am I missing something here?

People are going to quickly realize this, and then those mechs are simply not going to be played...ever. I hope they take this into account.

Edited by Bud Crue, 03 December 2016 - 10:25 PM.

#22 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:24 PM

View PostMuzakman, on 03 December 2016 - 10:18 PM, said:

Yep. From the technical standpoint, "special" quirks like the Night Gyr's required PGI to do the necessary work to implement that sort of thing, and really this entire skill tree system.

Especially like this aspect of it -- it opens the possibility for my Orions to get their dust shrouds removed and their reactors started up!

You could have been using them anyways. There are a couple IS mechs that, in all honesty, aren't as bad as people make them out to be. The Orion and the Zeus being two of them.

#23 Wecx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:25 PM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 03 December 2016 - 10:24 PM, said:

Sounds great, until you realize that you can buy one seismic module for 6 million C-bills and move it around the mechs you want to use it on.
Now you'll be spending 6 (?) million c-bills on the skill tree for every mech you want to use it on. Same with weapon modules, etc.

Think the C-bill grind is bad now, it just got 10-fold worse...

Yeah, this is bad.

#24 Muzakman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 102 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:27 PM

Sounds great, until you realize that you can buy one seismic module for 6 million C-bills and move it around the mechs you want to use it on.
Now you'll be spending 6 (?) million c-bills on the skill tree for every mech you want to use it on. Same with weapon modules, etc.

I think I might have given you the wrong impression. That 6 mil CB you spent on the seismic module in the past is refunded to you; XP is convertible to GXP by expending MC. XP previously spent on unlocking weapon modules and such will be refunded.

It is somewhat implied that there will likely be tweaks to match rewards

#25 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:31 PM

View PostMuzakman, on 03 December 2016 - 10:27 PM, said:

I think I might have given you the wrong impression. That 6 mil CB you spent on the seismic module in the past is refunded to you; XP is convertible to GXP by expending MC. XP previously spent on unlocking weapon modules and such will be refunded.

It is somewhat implied that there will likely be tweaks to match rewards

That doesn't have anything to do with what I am saying. I have lets say 4 seismic modules so I can run a full set in CW so 24 million. I can use those modules on any 4 of my ~190 mechs.

New system I get my 24 million back, but now have to buy that for *every* mech. Lets say they cut the cost in half - 3 million. To put that on every mech is 570 million. Now consider the same thing for every weapon module you use. That's not a good thing.

EDITS: typos and some clarification.

Edited by EgoSlayer, 03 December 2016 - 10:40 PM.

#26 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:37 PM

So yes they are going to wipe all quirks for all mechs and let you pick and choose what quirks/skills you have with each mech then? Are they making it MC to convert Skill points to use on that mech as well?

Again the video was a bit quick on that part

#27 Wecx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:38 PM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 03 December 2016 - 10:31 PM, said:

That doesn't have anything to do with what I am saying. I have lets say 4 seismic modules so I can run a full set in CW so 24 million. I can use those modules on any 4 of my ~190 mechs.

New system I have to by that for *every* mech. Lets say they cut the cost in half - 3 million. To put that on every mech is 570 million. Now consider the same thing for every weapon module you use. That's not a good thing.

Yeah, I'd never grind that out.

#28 Muzakman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 102 posts
  • LocationChicago

View PostOldbob10025, on 03 December 2016 - 10:37 PM, said:

So yes they are going to wipe all quirks for all mechs and let you pick and choose what quirks/skills you have with each mech then? Are they making it MC to convert Skill points to use on that mech as well?

Again the video was a bit quick on that part

You don't use CBills to unlock skills, you use XP. Posted Image

Edited by Muzakman, 03 December 2016 - 10:39 PM.

#29 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Im just happy that I will no longer be pigeon holed into particular load outs. So many times I was told that mech x needed this build but it was so against my playstyle that I was useless in it. Yet I could do ok in a build more towards how I play but it was not as effective as it could be as it defied the quirks. Now that will be gone or so I hope.

I also like the fact that the skill trees are per mech so that you can have two mechs of the same type and have totally differnt trees for different builds. Unless I misunderstood that part. Even if it is different for each variant instead of each mech that will still be great.

#30 AnTi90d

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:40 PM

View PostMuzakman, on 03 December 2016 - 10:38 PM, said:

You don't use CBills to unlock skills, you use XP. Posted Image

You use both. 500k cbills plus 100k XP to unlock 10 skill points.

#31 Wecx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:41 PM

View PostAnTi90d, on 03 December 2016 - 10:40 PM, said:

The grind will be real.

#32 Muzakman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 102 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:42 PM

View PostAnTi90d, on 03 December 2016 - 10:40 PM, said:

Ahhh that makes sense, thanks.

CB are easier to earn (more ways to earn, more ways to boost) than XP, so we'll see what those final values turn out to be for purchasing, as well as whether or not costs scale, and if so, how.

#33 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:59 PM

"providing you with greater control over the performance-focus of your individual 'Mechs."

Did anyone consider how this would change the Hero, Champion, and special mechs (Invasion, Phoenix, Steam, etc.)? The ones you spent real money on to give you CBill or XP earning benefits. If you are pursuing a certain focus as a brawler on one,does that mean you can't change it later to be a sniper or support? Does that mean if you enjoy playing all three, depending on your mood, that you need to buy additional same hero mechs. What about the ones you can't buy individually? What about when they change things, again, that makes the mech or mode less desirable. Is that mech a loss?

Right now you are free to just change the loadout to do another mode. Change modules as needed depending on your weapons. Will we be able to change the skill tree for that mech as easy as we can now change loadouts? It doesn't seem like that will be possible. So you better be sure how you want to skill your mechs, and PGI better not change things to screw it up. Otherwise, they will be trash.

#34 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:04 PM

Actually, with the current (early) system, it's 50k per skill, and a blanket 75 skills cap

Subject to change, of course, but that's only 3.75 mil

#35 Muzakman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 102 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:04 PM

You can respec your skill tree. It's not clear yet whether or how much it would cost, be it just MC (most likely) or CB (less likely).

#36 Nullmancer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:17 PM

would you like to buy a mechpack premium time? or maybe convert xp to gxp?

#37 Gaden Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 449 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:19 PM

I just hope the xp and cbills requirements are not super grindy.
The current amount of grind is good. Please do not increase it like crazy.

#38 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:22 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 03 December 2016 - 10:24 PM, said:

Won't this just make the meta mechs even more meta?

I mean a mech like the Kodiak 3, which doesn't need quirks, will be that much easier to dominate with if you don't have to waste your effort getting it all "leveled" up, where as a mech like the Cataphract or Panther which is only playable due to quirks will take that much more effort to make it playable. No? Am I missing something here?

People are going to quickly realize this, and then those mechs are simply not going to be played...ever. I hope they take this into account.

From what I understood each mech has a different skill tree. They might just not have as many skills you can upgrade in a kodiak, but then maybe more structure you can put in an Atlas in whatever section you want.

No more quirks at all, some mechs might get seismic as a skill and others not at all, we don't know enough yet. This could be a great thing and if nothing else it is a better system than before... which was barely anything at all.

#39 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:44 PM

Sounds neat I guess and probably better than what we have now, but I'm not optimistic about PGI doing an actually good job.

We'll see though.

View PostMuzakman, on 03 December 2016 - 09:38 PM, said:

Well, if you consider that the entire concept of "Mastering" a mech is changing to enable/create that end-game content people have been screaming about not having for years, then not really! Posted Image

"End-game content" i.e grind.

#40 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:00 AM

They need to address how this system will balance the fact some mechs are completely trash compared to others. And let's not forget the disparity between clans and IS.

Although now every mech wont' have all the basic bonuses and elite bonuses. But still question how this will effect mechs like the Awesome or the Vindicator.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users