20 replies to this topic

#1 Otto Cannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:50 PM

I know many people won't be bothered right now because most players haven't bought a headset yet, but I think it's an important consideration for the future. Regardless of the few salty 'herp derp VR is a gimmick' deniers, VR is going to be more common every year- and before too long it will be making a major difference to how many people buy games like MW5.

I've abandoned hope that MWO might get support, but I'd like to think PGI are going to do better with MW5. There's a massive difference between seeing your cockpit on a screen (or three) and actually sitting inside it looking around by moving your head naturally. There are also a load of non-mechwarrior fans out there with VR headsets who would buy the game if they see it listed on steam as a VR game.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed anyway. Give me a chance to use my neurohelmet!

Posted Image

#2 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:54 PM

Single-player games afford lower processing requirements, and that extra hardware resources could be used for VR. However I'd imagine this is not within the scope of PGI's capabilities, and they'd need significant outside help for a feature that, at the current time, very few people can take advantage of.

#3 Wrathful Scythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:56 PM

My Vive is waiting anxiously for a proper mech experience.

#4 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:01 AM

VR is, and will continue to be, optional peripheral, like fight sticks. It will never make a 'major difference' to the majority of gamers, though it will likely remain in the outer edges of the industry, forever present, but never mandatory or suggested.

That being said, I think this is a big case of '**** if I know.' The game is way off, PGI has apparently built a new team for the game so their skill base is entirely unknown, and we don't know the limits of what their doing.

Mech VR would be one of the cooler applications of the new headsets I think... but ultimately not a game maker or breaker. And I think that's the problem with VR. On the games where it really matters, it usually sucks, and on the games where it's nice, it's not really worth the extra cost of development, and for the hardware.

#5 Kasumi Sumika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:06 AM

Unreal Engine 4 support VR so there's a chance they will adding it.

#6 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:10 AM

View PostKasumi Sumika, on 04 December 2016 - 12:06 AM, said:

Unreal Engine 4 support VR so there's a chance they will adding it.

That's what I'm hoping. If they plan it right from the start there's no reason why adding support would be difficult or expensive.

#7 Kasumi Sumika

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:14 AM

View PostOtto Cannon, on 04 December 2016 - 12:10 AM, said:

That's what I'm hoping. If they plan it right from the start there's no reason why adding support would be difficult or expensive.

If they also plan to support Mech Controller then it will be GLORIOUS experience! Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:14 AM

Asked Russ
Confirmed to be designed for it

https://twitter.com/...321701827325953

Edited by Peter2k, 04 December 2016 - 12:15 AM.

#9 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:16 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 04 December 2016 - 12:14 AM, said:

Asked Russ

Well that didn't take long.

#10 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:20 AM

View PostBombast, on 04 December 2016 - 12:01 AM, said:

VR is, and will continue to be, optional peripheral, like fight sticks. It will never make a 'major difference' to the majority of gamers, though it will likely remain in the outer edges of the industry, forever present, but never mandatory or suggested.

That being said, I think this is a big case of '**** if I know.' The game is way off, PGI has apparently built a new team for the game so their skill base is entirely unknown, and we don't know the limits of what their doing.

Mech VR would be one of the cooler applications of the new headsets I think... but ultimately not a game maker or breaker. And I think that's the problem with VR. On the games where it really matters, it usually sucks, and on the games where it's nice, it's not really worth the extra cost of development, and for the hardware.

VR is just getting started.

The first big game offering VR, Fallout 4 hasn't even released the update yet. Not sure why. FF XV is also adding VR some time.

Microsoft just announced their VR last month.

Point being it could be mainstream by the end of next year. Or not.

To the topic title. If VR is good then yes MW5 will have VR. I havnt tried it yet so I cant really say for sure.

Edited by Johnny Z, 04 December 2016 - 12:24 AM.

#11 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:29 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 04 December 2016 - 12:20 AM, said:

Microsoft just announced their VR last month.

Try a year ago. A least. Minecraft VR was announced at least that far back, the VR itself probably further back.

Microsoft is actually the only VR project I'm really interested in. Digitally augemented rooms? Sign me up.

Point being it could be mainstream by the end of next year. Or not.

It wont be. VR headsets have fairly substantial problems that can't be solved with software updates - User endurance is fairly low, motion sickness is not only common, but hits people different - A game that's fine for one person makes the next one violently ill. Costs are excessive, installation outrageously complicated, and the hardware requirements, sans PS4, are outrageous.

Even if VR were to catch on, it wouldn't until at least the 3rd revision, which is likely years away, past MW5:Mercs guesstimated release date.

And remember - This isn't VRs first time around the merry-go-round.

Posted Image

Edited by Bombast, 04 December 2016 - 12:30 AM.

#12 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:35 AM

View PostBombast, on 04 December 2016 - 12:29 AM, said:

Try a year ago. A least. Minecraft VR was announced at least that far back, the VR itself probably further back.

Microsoft is actually the only VR project I'm really interested in. Digitally augemented rooms? Sign me up.

It wont be. VR headsets have fairly substantial problems that can't be solved with software updates - User endurance is fairly low, motion sickness is not only common, but hits people different - A game that's fine for one person makes the next one violently ill. Costs are excessive, installation outrageously complicated, and the hardware requirements, sans PS4, are outrageous.

Even if VR were to catch on, it wouldn't until at least the 3rd revision, which is likely years away, past MW5:Mercs guesstimated release date.

And remember - This isn't VRs first time around the merry-go-round.

The difficulty, too, is that not all VR options are created equal. There is a marked difference between the implementation of different VR devices. Some are dedicated, high-end systems like the Rift... others glorified cell-phone holders. If there was one unifying standard, it would go a long way to making VR more than just a novelty.

#13 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:36 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 04 December 2016 - 12:14 AM, said:

Asked Russ

Nice! I'll be happy to preorder it in that case. I would have tried twitter myself, but Russ blocked me for asking politely about MWO VR support.

#14 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:42 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 04 December 2016 - 12:35 AM, said:

The difficulty, too, is that not all VR options are created equal. There is a marked difference between the implementation of different VR devices. Some are dedicated, high-end systems like the Rift... others glorified cell-phone holders. If there was one unifying standard, it would go a long way to making VR more than just a novelty.

I'd actually suggest that anyone who can't accord a proper VR headset, but can drop 20 bucks on a toy, get one of those cell phone holders. I got one on a whim that was on massive sale, and it's been pretty neat. Not really a gaming device, but a nifty gadget for the occasional laugh.

#15 Max Immelmann

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:47 PM

every christmas, i go and buy me some thing nice. this year, it is going to be a VR set.

now looking at the vive pro or the rift. pro a bit expensive, and needs additional equipment. maybe not at xmas time.

already pre-purchased mw5. if it goes VR, i may just spend the xtra cash on the vive pro.

#16 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 16 June 2019 - 03:17 PM

The few vr games I've played on ps4 sucked. I doubt it would be any better on pc. Still just a gimicky expensive thing. I guess having vr is good in the future as is ray tracing in real time but I'm not shelling out thousands of dollars for a machine to run it in its current state.

#17 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 04:09 PM

Keep in mind that twitter post is coming up on 3 years old. I don't think VR will be in the game out of the box based on what we've heard in the AMAs thus far.

#18 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 05:57 PM

id be happy if it just had trackir support. though my tir4 is getting old in the tooth. im surprised mems based head trackers aren't readily available, with how cheap some of these imu chips are getting. i dont really need the full on headgear though, i have a strong disparity in visual acuity between my eyes and i don't think stereoscopy would even work for me at this point. of course maybe i should just get a curved monitor and jack the fov way up.

Edited by LordNothing, 16 June 2019 - 05:58 PM.

#19 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:36 PM

MW5 should focus on the core elements. The peripheral stuff can wait till MW5 is a commercial success.

Till then, those wanting their VR mech fix should avoid muddying the MW5 waters and try other VR mech games first like:

Vox Machinae - https://store.steamp...0/Vox_Machinae/
Archangel Hellfire - https://store.steamp...e__Enlist_FREE/

#20 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:07 AM

Was supposed to be in, but I think to remember hearing from Russ it would maybe come at a later date, after MW5 has Bennett shipped
As PGI is always saying they wouod love to add more but need to make sure base game is actually good

I'm fine with that

Also necro, but I've seen worse

View PostScarecrowES, on 03 December 2016 - 11:54 PM, said:

Single-player games afford lower processing requirements, and that extra hardware resources could be used for VR. However I'd imagine this is not within the scope of PGI's capabilities, and they'd need significant outside help for a feature that, at the current time, very few people can take advantage of.

That's something people easily miss
If they support DXR, then they need a good DX12 API and good performance, or it would be unplayable, even if the do DXR only indoors
If they can do DX12 and perfomance is actually good, then VR should be fine perfomance wise

View Postarcana75, on 16 June 2019 - 07:36 PM, said:

MW5 should focus on the core elements. The peripheral stuff can wait till MW5 is a commercial success.

Till then, those wanting their VR mech fix should avoid muddying the MW5 waters and try other VR mech games first like:

Vox Machinae - https://store.steamp...0/Vox_Machinae/
Archangel Hellfire - https://store.steamp...e__Enlist_FREE/

They did say many times they want to finish MW5 as well as possible

Some AMA's they answered questions with this statement, like when asked about more biomes, documentation on modding and map making, certain other features

View PostPeter2k, on 17 June 2019 - 03:03 AM, said:

Was supposed to be in, but I think to remember hearing from Russ it would maybe come at a later date, after MW5 has Bennett shipped
As PGI is always saying they wouod love to add more but need to make sure base game is actually good

I'm fine with that

That's something people easily miss
If they support DXR, then they need a good DX12 API and good performance, or it would be unplayable, even if the do DXR only indoors
If they can do DX12 and perfomance is actually good, then VR should be fine perfomance wise

They did say many times they want to finish MW5 as well as possible

Some AMA's they answered questions with this statement, like when asked about more biomes, documentation on modding and map making, certain other features

Edit:

Ahh, yeah
Trackir was one thing I remember was a feature of wanting, but has to wait till MW5 shipped (and if it does reasonably well, sure)

View PostMax Immelmann, on 16 June 2019 - 12:47 PM, said:

every christmas, i go and buy me some thing nice. this year, it is going to be a VR set.

now looking at the vive pro or the rift. pro a bit expensive, and needs additional equipment. maybe not at xmas time.

already pre-purchased mw5. if it goes VR, i may just spend the xtra cash on the vive pro.

Having come from PSVR, I'm looking at a Vive Focus, no cables is such an up for me I can handle that the systems onboard hardware isn't that great

Edited by Peter2k, 17 June 2019 - 03:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users