147 replies to this topic

#41 TKSax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:11 AM

So as someone who works in the software industry and who has several good friends who work the gaming industry. So basically when you start a new project it gets its own budget and the budget is kept separate from any existing project as to not affect that project. However to get the initial money it was coming from PGI's general budget, which since PGI only has one game.. that would be money that is generated from MWO. So the good news is if the MW5 does not make the money they are expecting it should not affect MWO, however, the bad thing is that PGI Will be back to 1 revenue source with a game that is 6 years old at MW5 release time. Also, Unreal Engine has a new license agreement that PGI will not have ot pay any licensing money to Epi until the game makes 50,000 dollars, so basically PGI is just paying the staff for MW5, which should have less people than MWO.

As far as the gameplay, it looks nice, I am not sure the Raven was around in 3015, but maybe that is part of the story. With HBS Battletech in 2017, and MW5 in 2018 things look good for the Battletech Franchise. However I am not sure I will buy MW5, this will depend on PGI's actions over the next Year and 1/2.

#42 JaxRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 666 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:14 AM

No real surprise. Many of us have suspected that they were working on something else for a while now.

Its been several years now of No new content and a steady stream of Mech Packs. They were obviously up to something.

Turns out, MWO has been used as a Funding Machine for a totally Separate game.

Personally it doesnt bother me too much since I havent paid any real money in over a year. I already got my monies worth.

But Im curious how the Whales feel knowing that they have been funneling money into a game that will never really develop beyond what it already is?

#43 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:22 AM

View PostJaxRiot, on 04 December 2016 - 06:14 AM, said:

No real surprise. Many of us have suspected that they were working on something else for a while now.

Its been several years now of No new content and a steady stream of Mech Packs. They were obviously up to something.

Personally it doesnt bother me too much since I havent paid any real money in over a year. I already got my monies worth.

But Im curious how the Whales feel knowing that they have been funneling money into a game that will never really develop beyond what it already is?

Elder Scrolls has offline games, lots, and an online game. Their online game is much more than just area tdm even if it is a clone of 20+ year old games and their pvp areas are a total of one map.

So whos to say this game wont continue to grow.

That this studio is going single player offline like the top games are, only says good things about this game, new features, new content. Look out freight train coming through.

Edited by Johnny Z, 04 December 2016 - 06:28 AM.

#44 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:22 AM

I wont.

Ill play it for free and have fun and a good time if its for free.

But i cant invest even 1 cent cause it all goes into fancy clothes to impress the hot ladies out there.

Sorry

#45 Kaeb Odellas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:39 AM

View PostJaxRiot, on 04 December 2016 - 06:14 AM, said:

I am a hyper-whale and I feel fantastic because MW5: Mercs is real and it's happening.

And I sincerely doubt PGI isn't going to take all they will learn and develop in making MW5 and apply it to MWO.

#46 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:54 AM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 04 December 2016 - 06:39 AM, said:

I am a hyper-whale and I feel fantastic because MW5: Mercs is real and it's happening.

And I sincerely doubt PGI isn't going to take all they will learn and develop in making MW5 and apply it to MWO.

Yup, all the lessons PGI has learnt from MWO such as campaign design, AI programming, single player game balance, galaxy building, in-game economy. Oh wait....

The video is just an Unreal Engine tech demo that happens to have 2 mechs in it - it has NOTHING to do with what MW5 would look/play like. Personally, the only way PGI wouldn't screw it up like it has with MWO over the years will be a huge helping hand from HBS on game design and hiring a great AI designer.

If PGI wants me to take MW5 seriously, it'll have to start posting dev diaries like HBS and show me the core game design.

#47 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:58 AM

View PostSQW, on 04 December 2016 - 06:54 AM, said:

Yup, all the lessons PGI has learnt from MWO such as campaign design, AI programming, single player game balance, galaxy building, in-game economy. Oh wait....

The video is just an Unreal Engine tech demo that happens to have 2 mechs in it - it has NOTHING to do with what MW5 would look/play like. Personally, the only way PGI wouldn't screw it up like it has with MWO over the years will be a huge helping hand from HBS on game design and hiring a great AI designer.

If PGI wants me to take MW5 seriously, it'll have to start posting dev diaries like HBS and show me the core game design.

Read my last sentence again. And more carefully this time.

#48 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:59 AM

Some people mentioned that if you spent over $100 They think you should get the next game for free basically.
It's a nice sentiment but honestly from a business perspective it's not realistic.

I see us funding the next game through MWO & having to pay the $50 or whatever price for the game when it's released.
Not saying I like that but that's what I think will happen and I won't be surprised and honestly not disappointed about it because I'm a realist when it comes to games and business and "stuff."

It would be nice if they picked out those who paid more than say $500 or $1000 into MWO and gave us the next one for a discount at least. I won't expect it, but it would be nice. After the (literally) thousands of dollars I paid into this game I do see myself paying full price for the next one. That's just probably how it will be.
Will I pay it? Maybe yes, but I will definitely wait for all the reviews to come out and read them all before making that decision.

#49 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:10 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 04 December 2016 - 06:06 AM, said:

Microsoft.

Haha I don't know just made that up. But it would make sense. Microsoft is like an Atlas hiding behind a small house in all of this. :) "You cant see me because I'm hiding behind this tiny house" says the giant Atlas. Wish I had a meme to go with this. A funny one not a mean one. :) Because I think its all cool and kind of funny.

After the hot, wet garbage mech designs that came out with MW4 ( And were canonized!) all I can say is I hope that Microsoft has nothing more to do with anymore Mechwarrior games. They've done enough harm already. MW4 was garbage except for getting hard points to be done in the right direction. Mw4 Mercenaries however was decent. Despite having those garbage Microsoft made designs in it. ( i'm looking at Uziel and mad cat Mark two. Argus was their only "BattleTech-looking" design. )

This comment is no way referring to you Johnny, just had to mention it because you mentioned Microsoft.

Edit: this , It will be full of typos because Siri's voice recognition is garbage, like designed by Microsoft style garbage.

Edited by Star Commander Horse, 04 December 2016 - 07:11 AM.

#50 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:12 AM

You mean to tell me that I am helping fund another mech game, and by the looks/reads I will want to play, by making puchases in MWO?!?!

The horror! The outrage!

Now announce the new Light mech so I can pre-order dammit!

#51 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:13 AM

View PostStar Commander Horse, on 04 December 2016 - 07:10 AM, said:

After the hot, wet garbage mech designs that came out with MW4 ( And were canonized!) all I can say is I hope that Microsoft has nothing more to do with anymore Mechwarrior games. They've done enough harm already. MW4 was garbage except for getting hard points to be done in the right direction. Mw4 Mercenaries however was decent. Despite having those garbage Microsoft made designs in it. ( i'm looking at Uziel and mad cat Mark two. Argus was their only "BattleTech-looking" design. )

This comment is no way referring to you Johnny, just had to mention it because you mentioned Microsoft.

I enjoyed MW4:Mercs.

I have a buddy whose first introduction to battletech was MechAssault and MechAssault 2. He speaks fondly of "lava guns" and recharging "energy shields". It's quite irritating

#52 Alteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:14 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 04 December 2016 - 01:18 AM, said:

In fairness, we were always going to have to pay twice for single-player content. No PvE add-on for MWO would ever have been free. Just be glad that you're paying a fixed rate for the initial sale, and then hope to god PGI doesn't try to nickle-and-dime you for "content" thereafter.

Twice? With money I've spent, I've paid for MWO "a AAA game" 7-8 times.

There is a guy in our unit that's paid well over $1400 now for Mechpack "content" releases. I doubt he'll get a free copy.

#53 JaxRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 666 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:16 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 04 December 2016 - 06:22 AM, said:

Elder Scrolls has offline games, lots, and an online game. Their online game is much more than just area tdm even if it is a clone of 20+ year old games and their pvp areas are a total of one map.

So whos to say this game wont continue to grow.

That this studio is going single player offline like the top games are, only says good things about this game, new features, new content. Look out freight train coming through.

You may be right.

But personally (my own opinion) I dont think MWO will grow much more than it is/has been. Probably just a constant modification of assets that are already a part of the game just like they have been doing.

Some might call that Maintenance Mode, or Life Support.

Its my own personal belief that many people who play MWO, only play it because its the only Battletech(ish) game on the market right now, and if they had another option, they wouldnt be playing it.

I believe that people tire of constant TDM and the Elitism that comes with it.

So now with HBS launching their game in 2017, and now MW5 in 2018 (I think I read), people will have other options, I bet MWOs population will take a nose dive and the already small population will become a tiny population.

So again, Personally, I dont see MWO having any more significant growth from here on.

I could be wrong though. Its happened once before..

Edited by JaxRiot, 04 December 2016 - 07:20 AM.

#54 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:18 AM

Ain't touching this shjt with a fncking barge pole.

#55 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:20 AM

we are through mechpacks

#56 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:23 AM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 04 December 2016 - 07:13 AM, said:

I enjoyed MW4:Mercs.

I have a buddy whose first introduction to battletech was MechAssault and MechAssault 2. He speaks fondly of "lava guns" and recharging "energy shields". It's quite irritating

Wtf⁈ lava guns??
Thanks for making me lol. I needed that after all the ...stuff going on lately :)

#57 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:26 AM

Well now we know why MWO has been neglected. All the money we are spending here plus probably most of development team at PGI is working on another project, while of course we who play MWO pay for the other project.

Honestly I won't lie about not being excited about MW5 but I have a hell of alot invested in MWO and really want to see THIS GAME be great. Also MW5 looks to be a single player experience so it isn't going to replace MWO. I mean I guess we can hope that they have a multiplayer experience and MW5 ends up a direct replacement for MWO but I somehow doubt it will be. Also I already have probably $1000 invested in this game so again it would be nice if THIS GAME was nice.

#58 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:28 AM

View PostStar Commander Horse, on 04 December 2016 - 07:10 AM, said:

Edit: this , It will be full of typos because Siri's voice recognition is garbage, like designed by Microsoft style garbage.

Sometimes I type a word and somehow it enters so each word goes down a line, down the page. I could go on and on. This chat has a mind of its own. :)

Anyway going by the new trailer for MW5M it looks good. The combat in this game is awesome. Battletech turn based game looks awesome to... Not being a cheer leader just saying. Its tough not to sound like a cheer leader after everything that was announced last night in a very low key way.

Edited by Johnny Z, 04 December 2016 - 07:29 AM.

#59 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:37 AM

View PostJaxRiot, on 04 December 2016 - 07:16 AM, said:

You may be right.

But personally (my own opinion) I dont think MWO will grow much more than it is/has been. Probably just a constant modification of assets that are already a part of the game just like they have been doing.

Some might call that Maintenance Mode, or Life Support.

Its my own personal belief that many people who play MWO, only play it because its the only Battletech(ish) game on the market right now, and if they had another option, they wouldnt be playing it.

I believe that people tire of constant TDM and the Elitism that comes with it.

So now with HBS launching their game in 2017, and now MW5 in 2018 (I think I read), people will have other options, I bet MWOs population will take a nose dive and the already small population will become a tiny population.

So again, Personally, I dont see MWO having any more significant growth from here on.

I could be wrong though. Its happened once before..

They said PVE is being worked on for THIS game and other things, like a good faction play. That dropship seen in the trailer will be in MechWarrior Online, for sure. There it is. Taking to long maybe or what ever but its looking really good at the moment.

All the drama queens and their alts will be spamming that the money spent on this game is funding MW5 because they are basically liars and they know it. MW5 funded itself. Really. That's what banks are for and only morons don't know this. Don't let them call you players morons.

Edited by Johnny Z, 04 December 2016 - 07:46 AM.

#60 JaxRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 666 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:51 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 04 December 2016 - 07:37 AM, said:

They said PVE is being worked on for THIS game and other things, like a good faction play. There it is. Taking to long maybe or what ever but its looking really good at the moment.

I may be wrong, but I dont recall them ever saying that they were working on PvE for MWO

They have said that they were working on AI, and PVE, but I dont think they said for which game, and we all just assumed they meant it for MWO since nobody knew about MW5 at that time.

So they were telling the truth when they said that they were working on PvE... They just conveniently left out the part where they were working on PvE for a different Battletech game that will be using a different platform

You may be right though Mr. Z, and I hope that you are. But I kind of doubt it..

Time will tell

Edited by JaxRiot, 04 December 2016 - 07:54 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users