- - - - -

Old Player Coming Back.

22 replies to this topic

#1 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:42 PM

The mech bug has bitten me again and my gaze turns back to MWO. I'm wondering what mechs in the medium and heavy category for IS and Clams are "noob friendly". I left early this year when the minimap got changed. Are the IS old guards like the hunchback still the "noob friendly" mech or has it changed since i left?

#2 ProfPyro

• PipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:03 PM

Hunchies are still noob friendly. I think novas and stormcrows are both strong contenders on the clan side. Btw, did you get the free NCIX Centurion?

#3 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:05 PM

View PostProfPyro, on 05 December 2016 - 08:03 PM, said:

Hunchies are still noob friendly. I think novas and stormcrows are both strong contenders on the clan side. Btw, did you get the free NCIX Centurion?

The only Free mechs i have are this years loyalty mechs.

Just re-downloaded the game today.

Edited by Lupis Volk, 05 December 2016 - 08:11 PM.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:14 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 05 December 2016 - 07:42 PM, said:

The mech bug has bitten me again and my gaze turns back to MWO. I'm wondering what mechs in the medium and heavy category for IS and Clams are "noob friendly". I left early this year when the minimap got changed. Are the IS old guards like the hunchback still the "noob friendly" mech or has it changed since i left?

Many of them are still the same.

Big changes starting December the 13th, and more coming some months after. This includes an all new skill tree system (all XP/GXP spent is getting refunded). So I wouldn't fret the little details, just snag a mech and enjoy.

The NCIX Centurion from what I'm told isn't available anymore.

#5 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:15 PM

View PostKoniving, on 05 December 2016 - 08:13 PM, said:

Big changes starting December the 13th, and more coming some months after. This includes an all new skill tree system (all XP/GXP spent is getting refunded). So I wouldn't fret the little details, just snag a mech and enjoy.

heh got 21Mil in the bank. might go crazy.

So what is the basics of this new Skill tree? Do we need 3 of one mech chassis?

#6 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:15 PM

Define "noob friendly". I am only here to give advice on what mechs are competitive. Isn't that what we all want?

Edited by Spheroid, 05 December 2016 - 08:22 PM.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:23 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 05 December 2016 - 08:15 PM, said:

heh got 21Mil in the bank. might go crazy.

So what is the basics of this new Skill tree? Do we need 3 of one mech chassis?

No.

And the tree is unique to each copy of the mech, so if you have two Hunchback 4Ps, you have two separate trees. Since the skill tree has evidently 4 to 8 columns each with branching choices and a limit of 75 unlocks (despite how there's clearly several hundred 'possible' unlocks to be had), yeah.

The big fear is this could mean even more grind. The good thing is you can get one Hunchback and have no restrictions on maxing it, so no need to own three just to fully upgrade the one you like.

#8 ProfPyro

• PipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:29 PM

View PostKoniving, on 05 December 2016 - 08:14 PM, said:

The NCIX Centurion from what I'm told isn't available anymore.

Really? I was under the impression that it would be available until January.
Well, the only way to test is go to the code redemption page and enter "NCIXMECH". If it works, free Cent for you.

#9 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:52 PM

View PostProfPyro, on 05 December 2016 - 09:29 PM, said:

Well, the only way to test is go to the code redemption page and enter "NCIXMECH". If it works, free Cent for you.

Code worked.

#10 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:58 PM

Yea.. big changes coming.... why don't ya list what you have... good way to get some advice about what to get to maybe fill in some gaps.. :)

#11 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:06 PM

Well, the big thing to know about the exp change is, it's not in yet =p There's stuff for concern, but really, that can wait until you catch up to speed. Don't make hasty moves based on forum speculation and what might not be finalized.

Whm, Mad, Hbk, Gfn, Cat are all still pretty friendly I think.

Tbr, Ebj, Hbr, Scr, Hb IIc likewise.

Personally, I think the Huntsman and Linebacker also qualify on the clan side, but they are new... $ only atm.

And also there is the KDK on the clan side.

#12 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:48 AM

View PostJingseng, on 05 December 2016 - 11:06 PM, said:

Well, the big thing to know about the exp change is, it's not in yet =p There's stuff for concern, but really, that can wait until you catch up to speed. Don't make hasty moves based on forum speculation and what might not be finalized.

Whm, Mad, Hbk, Gfn, Cat are all still pretty friendly I think.

Tbr, Ebj, Hbr, Scr, Hb IIc likewise.

Personally, I think the Huntsman and Linebacker also qualify on the clan side, but they are new... $ only atm.

And also there is the KDK on the clan side.

I has the WHM, HBK, GFN, TBR, HB 2c and the Carebear* as you listed. I am looking at getting the line back or the Huntsman, i'm also eyeing up the Shadow Hawk (the MW 5 merc trailer rekindled my interest in it)

*I wuv ooo.

#13 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:36 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 06 December 2016 - 12:48 AM, said:

I has the WHM, HBK, GFN, TBR, HB 2c and the Carebear* as you listed. I am looking at getting the line back or the Huntsman, i'm also eyeing up the Shadow Hawk (the MW 5 merc trailer rekindled my interest in it)

*I wuv ooo.

the carebear staaaaaaaare!

As others will tell you, the Shad is 'no longer meta' but it's still a great mech. It is still a 'can kinda do a bit of everything' workhorse that can be molded and specialized - but that will take a fair bit of cbills and planning.

Speaking of which, dont go too crazy with those 21m c notes... they wont last as long as you might expect once you start customizing... and especially if you get some modules to tide you over until the exp changes (they'll be refunded at that point, as I understand it).

The Huntsman is a great 'heavy medium' ... it has good mobility (the JJ are amazing on that mech) and a lot of tonnage for weapon loadouts. Call it a medium striker.

The Lunchback(er) is stupid fast. It has the same speed as the Shadow cat (without MASC - 91 ish base? and 104 speed twerkin). Less tonnage for weaponry, but amazing flanking ability and armor durabilty.

Both mechs have fair hardpoints up high to allow for popping. I love them both, but have to play them differently.

#14 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:50 AM

View PostJingseng, on 06 December 2016 - 01:36 AM, said:

the carebear staaaaaaaare!

As others will tell you, the Shad is 'no longer meta' but it's still a great mech. It is still a 'can kinda do a bit of everything' workhorse that can be molded and specialized - but that will take a fair bit of cbills and planning.

Speaking of which, dont go too crazy with those 21m c notes... they wont last as long as you might expect once you start customizing... and especially if you get some modules to tide you over until the exp changes (they'll be refunded at that point, as I understand it).

The Huntsman is a great 'heavy medium' ... it has good mobility (the JJ are amazing on that mech) and a lot of tonnage for weapon loadouts. Call it a medium striker.

The Lunchback(er) is stupid fast. It has the same speed as the Shadow cat (without MASC - 91 ish base? and 104 speed twerkin). Less tonnage for weaponry, but amazing flanking ability and armor durabilty.

Both mechs have fair hardpoints up high to allow for popping. I love them both, but have to play them differently.

Okay. Would you know if which Shadow Hawk variants are good for a first pick?

Okay so now the struggle between Linebacker and Huntsman is real. urgh Posted Image .

#15 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:00 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 06 December 2016 - 01:50 AM, said:

Okay. Would you know if which Shadow Hawk variants are good for a first pick?

Okay so now the struggle between Linebacker and Huntsman is real. urgh Posted Image .

Afraid I do not... I think the pinned mastery pack thread mentions which are considered the stronger ones... but people basically tend to load up 3 acs (so the 3 ballistic in torso variant) or a bunch of srms. See the GD hero from time to time as well. I have a SHD myself, but I dont recall the var code (i think 2 ballistic in torso) and don't consider myself having as much experience with the chassis as a whole =/ One day....

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:12 AM

View PostProfPyro, on 05 December 2016 - 09:29 PM, said:

Some are saying it's done. I dunno.

#17 ProfPyro

• PipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:46 AM

I absolutely adore my Huntsman. It's on the slower side of clan mediums but it's got so much free podspace to play with (3 UAC2 might qualify as a troll build but it's a blast!)

#18 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:32 PM

View PostProfPyro, on 06 December 2016 - 11:46 AM, said:

I absolutely adore my Huntsman. It's on the slower side of clan mediums but it's got so much free podspace to play with (3 UAC2 might qualify as a troll build but it's a blast!)

I have a Ice Ferret that has a C-UAC2.

Hmm so many choices.

#19 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,596 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:50 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 05 December 2016 - 07:42 PM, said:

Welcome back! The Huntsman, Nova, Huntsman, Hunchback, Stormcrow, Huntsman, and Shadow Hawk are all 'mechs I've found to be very easy to use. Good variety of builds available along with good hit boxes and capabilities. The Hunchbacks aren't as relatively effective as I used to find them, but they're still very good starter 'mechs (the 4J makes an excellent LRM trainer.)

For the Shadow Hawk, I'd pick the SHD - 2H as my first pick, then whichever one seems the best for hard points. You can use the 2K as some kind of Fast Brawler, or LRM platform if you really want to, but in my experience the Shadowhawk 2H is the best of the lot.

Between the Linebacker and Huntsman, take the Huntsman. The Linebacker is fast, and it has a 65-tonner's armor and structure with good hit boxes - but it comes at the cost of having less pod weight available than the Stormcrow. Lots less. Six and a half tons less out of 23 tons total! This means that the Linebacker, while fast enough to outrun many 'mechs' turning rate (they'll circle you like Ravens used to do,) simply do not have the punch of other 'mechs in its class. This means that the Linebacker is limited in what builds can be effectively placed on it - which in turn means that it is best used by veteran players.

Edited by Void Angel, 06 December 2016 - 12:52 PM.

#20 a gaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 06 December 2016 - 04:25 PM

To throw my two ¥en into this conversation, it is my opinion that any clan mech will be easier to use than any inner sphere mech for people unfamiliar with MWO because of the fact that you cannot swap out the engine (as well as many set points such as internal structure for example).
What I'm getting at is that once you know how the machine feels, you know how other variants of the same chassis feel. Your only concern at that point is getting a feel for the weapons load out.

With inner sphere changing out the engine changes it's responsiveness and it will feel like learning the machine all over again. For this reason I recommend clan chassis.

Back to basics:
Nova and Stormcrow are good choices for mediums.
In my opinion, the Ebon Jaguar, Summoner, and Timberwolf are solid heavies.

If you don't like jump Jets, avoid using the Summoner and the Nova.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users