Looking For Shadow Hawk Builds.

12 replies to this topic

#1 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:44 PM

I'm thinking of getting a Shadow Hawk, I'm not sure which one to get, or if i should just get the mastery pack.

But aside from that i'm wondering which ones are more friendly to learn in and what builds are like that as well.

#2 Warglbargl

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:34 AM

Start with the SHD-2K, XL300 and 3 LPL.

#3 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:38 AM

The best Shadowhawk at the moment is the 2D2, with an AC/10 and 4 SRM4s, it's a great brawler.
Then I'd pick the 2K (3LPL or 3 ERLL), wish is probably the most PUG-friendly, and the 2H (2AC5+AC2 or 3 AC2).

In the mastery Pack you get the 2D2 and the 2H, so it's not bad. But the Grey Death is not the best variant, so it's for you to decide if you want to spent real money on that.
(Grey Death builds: AC20+4ML, or AC10+4MPL, I suppose...)

#4 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:26 AM

View Postepikt, on 06 December 2016 - 02:38 AM, said:

The best Shadowhawk at the moment is the 2D2, with an AC/10 and 4 SRM4s, it's a great brawler.
Then I'd pick the 2K (3LPL or 3 ERLL), wish is probably the most PUG-friendly, and the 2H (2AC5+AC2 or 3 AC2).

In the mastery Pack you get the 2D2 and the 2H, so it's not bad. But the Grey Death is not the best variant, so it's for you to decide if you want to spent real money on that.
(Grey Death builds: AC20+4ML, or AC10+4MPL, I suppose...)

well the question is do i future proof myself and get one due to the upcoming skill tree "re-work" or follow the status quo and get three.

Out of the 2D2 and 2H, if i could only get one what'd be your pick?

#5 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:49 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 06 December 2016 - 03:26 AM, said:

well the question is do i future proof myself and get one due to the upcoming skill tree "re-work" or follow the status quo and get three.

Out of the 2D2 and 2H, if i could only get one what'd be your pick?

It's an interesting question about the skill tree and 2nd/3rd variants. I'm struggling with this as I've been levelling my first Grasshopper. Not really interested in 2nd and 3rd variants, so what I'll do is simply keep the one, play with basics unlocked, and hoard the XP to use when the skill tree is live.

2D2 and 2H -- they're very different. Any builds of 2D2 tend to revolve around the missile slots (4xSRM launchers + LB-10X seems somewhat popular), while 2H tends to use the multiple-ballistics option. Think you'll just have to decide which approach strikes your fancy. Either can run more lore-correct mixed builds.

With Mastery Pack you're effectively paying for the Gray Death, which is all about that unusual option of putting in 4xML or 4xMPL in the arms. I've always liked it for AC/10 or Gauss Rifle + 4 arm laser builds. Again it's mostly a matter of taste, for me it's actually my favourite ballistic Shadow Hawk.

TL/DR; 2K is objectively the best with all-shoulder hardpoints, the others, depends on what you want to do.

#6 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:33 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 06 December 2016 - 03:26 AM, said:

future proof myself

That's a wise thing to do.
One thing to note is the Shadow Hawk have lots of "raw" qualities, by that I mean not depending on quirks. It has decent hitboxes (even if it's quite tall) and more importantly it has high weapon mounts. Actually, before the quirks were implemented it was the best IS medium in the game. Still, until the final skill trees are revealed we can't be sure of anything.
But like jss said, the 2H, 2K and 2D2 variants are quite different by their hardpoints, thus your choice will depend on what you'd want to do on the mech.

#7 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:38 AM

hello! i am a medium mech pilot strictly, and shadowhawk is one of my goto chasis!!

mainly set up as brawlers if u can shield/ good flankers easily able to take on mechs solo in the heavy weight class if u can use the terrain, speed, jump jets and shielding.

few options depending on what your into.

2d2, i run ac10/lbx10, and 4srm 4's with an engine that takes me around 88k.. with jump jets. sorry i dont have the build on hand atm

or 2k, u can run Standard or XL in this, both have 3-5 jumps jets

standard will get u going 85k, with 3 medium lasers, and 3 srm 6's
Xl, wlll get u going 95k with, 3 medium lasers, and 3 srms 6 with artemis, can shave a heat sink or 2, and u ca get medium pulses if u like.

i highly recommend these chasis,

the 2k: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7c22a2ece17b8a8
the 2d2: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f41c0d550a12dcf

Edited by CD0UG, 06 December 2016 - 12:53 PM.

#8 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:39 AM

View Postjss78, on 06 December 2016 - 03:49 AM, said:

TL/DR; 2K is objectively the best with all-shoulder hardpoints, the others, depends on what you want to do.

Well i'd think i'd be doing dakka.

#9 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:35 PM

View PostWarglbargl, on 06 December 2016 - 01:34 AM, said:

Start with the SHD-2K, XL300 and 3 LPL.

Well, if you want to be boring I guess you could do that. Or you could do this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1d1fd5f30c41451

Yes, yes. It's not your WW1 trench fighter "meta build", but if you want to terrify every single assault mech you come across, I would take this build over an XL meta poke poker every single time. It's an absolutely vicious machine as long as you're in SRM range and an STD295 keeps you mobile. I run it with CASE because I have a personal tick with ammo placement, but if you want to "optimize" you could take out the case and put all the ammo in the legs.

As for dakka, I run this weird stock + build on my 2H: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c164c39600bce7c

It's not even close to optimized, but it's got a nice coverage of different range brackets and lets you take advantage of steadily increasing firepower the closer you get to the enemy. It looks pretty garbage, but it can put out a lot of hurt very quickly. You won't be taking on three mechs at once, but it can handle most solo engagements and, like most builds running faster-firing ACs, it works fantastic when you've got a bigger friend to distract your target. It's definitely a mech that you have to work for your damage in though. No point and click adventures with this build.

Edited by Sidefire, 08 December 2016 - 05:50 PM.

#10 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:02 PM

I'm also looking to work on Shadowhawks - I have tried them in the past, but I just never took to them - I do really like the flying Hunchback kinda feel to them, but I'll probably start with the 7K, as I just love torso mounted weapons (especially high mounts) - dual PPC?

#11 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:03 AM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 08 December 2016 - 08:02 PM, said:

I'm also looking to work on Shadowhawks - I have tried them in the past, but I just never took to them - I do really like the flying Hunchback kinda feel to them, but I'll probably start with the 7K, as I just love torso mounted weapons (especially high mounts) - dual PPC?

I played with Shadow Hawks after Centurions, Hunchbacks and Enforcers - they were familiar but different enough to be interesting. I played my 2K with 2x PPC, 3x SRM4 (yes, yes, no synergy, who cares)

With a little tinkering, one of these should do alright (though you obviously don't *need* to use the Missile hard points)
2x PPC, 3x SRM4
2x PPC, 3x LRM5, TAG
2x LPL, 3x SRM4
2x LPL, 3x LRM5, TAG
3x LL, 3x SRM4
2x ERLL, 3x LRM5, TAG

#12 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:30 AM

Well if anything the ShadowHawk variants would be from the Shadow Hawk mastery bundle, unless it's better to get one since the new update comes out tomorrow.

Edited by Lupis Volk, 11 December 2016 - 02:10 PM.

#13 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:17 AM

I like brawling with Inner Sphere mediums ever since I started piloting a CN9-D; I now like my Shadow Hawks, too. Here is my favorite SHD so far:

SHD-2D "Osiris"

Edited by Yiryi-Sa, 25 December 2016 - 10:22 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users