- - - - -

How Does This Fit? (Digital-Angel, Help!)

11 replies to this topic

#1 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:17 PM

OK, last month I was able to get a better video card.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814487248

And it needed a bigger power supply so this month i was able to get this (it just came to the door)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139084

I'm waiting on a call from my Oral Surgeon so I can't go see my PC guy yet. The guy is a gamer and really smart but has a bad habit of talking over people's heads. The Power supply above is HUGE. I have a big tower but does some of this power supply set outside of the tower?

And a question of vision. My PC guy has a mantra about how many FPS the human eye can really see. And there is no reason for a 4K monitor etc.

He was right that a 40-inch monitor is too big. I'm going to look for a sale on a good 34 inch one at the end of the year or better, after the new year. Any suggestions would be great.

I'm basically putting the money that I would have bought a new PS4 Pus with into my PC. (I only paid about $250 for it refurbished). But I will also be able to run movies etc from my PC to my HUGE HOT plasma TV for the both of us to watch and to keep the place warm during the winter.

#2 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:56 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 06 December 2016 - 01:17 PM, said:

OK, last month I was able to get a better video card.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814487248

And it needed a bigger power supply so this month i was able to get this (it just came to the door)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139084

I'm waiting on a call from my Oral Surgeon so I can't go see my PC guy yet. The guy is a gamer and really smart but has a bad habit of talking over people's heads. The Power supply above is HUGE. I have a big tower but does some of this power supply set outside of the tower?

And a question of vision. My PC guy has a mantra about how many FPS the human eye can really see. And there is no reason for a 4K monitor etc.

He was right that a 40-inch monitor is too big. I'm going to look for a sale on a good 34 inch one at the end of the year or better, after the new year. Any suggestions would be great.

I'm basically putting the money that I would have bought a new PS4 Pus with into my PC. (I only paid about $250 for it refurbished). But I will also be able to run movies etc from my PC to my HUGE HOT plasma TV for the both of us to watch and to keep the place warm during the winter.

As far as where the power supply goes, that depends on the case. That is actually a standard-sized power supply, which suggests that your old power supply was small. Are you sure that the new power supply will fit in your case? Which case do you have?

As far as fps, because MWO isn't well optimized there are frame rate dips, which you don't want to be noticeable. I run between 100 and 120 fps typically, but I have seen dips down to 80ish, which means that they aren't noticeable for me.

Edited by mailin, 06 December 2016 - 02:57 PM.

#3 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 04:43 PM

View Postmailin, on 06 December 2016 - 02:56 PM, said:

As far as where the power supply goes, that depends on the case. That is actually a standard-sized power supply, which suggests that your old power supply was small. Are you sure that the new power supply will fit in your case? Which case do you have? As far as fps, because MWO isn't well optimized there are frame rate dips, which you don't want to be noticeable. I run between 100 and 120 fps typically, but I have seen dips down to 80ish, which means that they aren't noticeable for me.

Arggghhh, I can't believe how long it took me to remember how to find my system information. If I spent 10% of the time doing my brain games that I waste building troll builds I'd be in better shape, lol.

OK, I have a 4-5 years old Gateway FX6860 64 bit with an Intel i7-3770PU@340HZ and it has 12 GB of Ram. When I got it the GTX 550 Ti was a nice card. I replace the HD with a lesser one about 8 months ago when the old one died. I really need a better/faster one.

I took my PC to my local guy first to make sure everything would fit. Because of a price drop, I was able to get the GTX 1070 over the GTX 1060. And I would have gotten a cheaper power supply but again, my PC guy is about getting the best possible so it will be there when you replace other pieces. And he said it would fit but....lol. I believe the old one is 400 watts. He likes this video card because it puts out 25 amps over 20 amps and he says this video card will need up to 23 amps at times.

And like I said, one of his mantras is about human vision and FPS. I want a monitor that has at least 120 But he says the human eye cannot see that. On the other hand, I'm going to be the one who buys it so I pick what I want and can afford. I need size because of my poor vision but as I said, 40 inch is too big. After spending some time sitting in front of some and comparing I think 34 inches will do it. Bigger but not too big. This way I can read my Mech's HUD because it is simply bigger.

I've put in power supplies, video cards etc but this is going to be a little tricky so for an hour's labor he will have it working right. In a way, I'm lucky that he is a gamer. my guys in Gainesville (DogBytes) were not about games or even money is seems, lol. They had other interest. I'd bring my dog and sit there at a station and work on mine and other's machines, lol. But it has been so long I do not know if they are even still there.

The last thing I want to look at is fans. Back in the day, video cards would run HOT and I do want to run an extra fan.

Another Monitor question would be screen resolution. Is1080 good enough? And maybe could a higher one be worse or better? I really do not know.

P.S. I run about 55 FPS but that is with everything turned down.

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 06 December 2016 - 04:48 PM.

#4 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:17 PM

Nvidia claims that the GTX10 series runs cooler, and all of the reviews that I have seen would agree with that. If I were you, I'd hold off on a fan for now. If you really do want a fan, I am a huge fan of Noctua. (pun intended) I actually replace all of my case fans with Noctuas because they are so quiet.

If your PC guys says the PSU will fit, I wouldn't worry about it. I know some manufacturers like Dell use propietary power supplies or motherboards which makes it almost impossible to do any system upgrades. It is possible that Gateway had some sort of mounting bracket in there that is easily removable and which allows a full sized PSU. If you had a small case I think you would be justified in being worried.

As far as screen resolution, I can't help you there. My son and I both are on 24 inch monitors. My native resolution is 1900x1200 and his is 1900x1080. I know that I tried to play MWO on my 46 inch TV with 1080p and it was pretty tough to make some things out at that resolution and screen size.

Edited by mailin, 06 December 2016 - 07:19 PM.

#5 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:09 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 06 December 2016 - 04:43 PM, said:

Arggghhh, I can't believe how long it took me to remember how to find my system information. If I spent 10% of the time doing my brain games that I waste building troll builds I'd be in better shape, lol.

OK, I have a 4-5 years old Gateway FX6860 64 bit with an Intel i7-3770PU@340HZ and it has 12 GB of Ram. When I got it the GTX 550 Ti was a nice card. I replace the HD with a lesser one about 8 months ago when the old one died. I really need a better/faster one.

I took my PC to my local guy first to make sure everything would fit. Because of a price drop, I was able to get the GTX 1070 over the GTX 1060. And I would have gotten a cheaper power supply but again, my PC guy is about getting the best possible so it will be there when you replace other pieces. And he said it would fit but....lol. I believe the old one is 400 watts. He likes this video card because it puts out 25 amps over 20 amps and he says this video card will need up to 23 amps at times.

And like I said, one of his mantras is about human vision and FPS. I want a monitor that has at least 120 But he says the human eye cannot see that. On the other hand, I'm going to be the one who buys it so I pick what I want and can afford. I need size because of my poor vision but as I said, 40 inch is too big. After spending some time sitting in front of some and comparing I think 34 inches will do it. Bigger but not too big. This way I can read my Mech's HUD because it is simply bigger.

I've put in power supplies, video cards etc but this is going to be a little tricky so for an hour's labor he will have it working right. In a way, I'm lucky that he is a gamer. my guys in Gainesville (DogBytes) were not about games or even money is seems, lol. They had other interest. I'd bring my dog and sit there at a station and work on mine and other's machines, lol. But it has been so long I do not know if they are even still there.

The last thing I want to look at is fans. Back in the day, video cards would run HOT and I do want to run an extra fan.

Another Monitor question would be screen resolution. Is1080 good enough? And maybe could a higher one be worse or better? I really do not know.

P.S. I run about 55 FPS but that is with everything turned down.

Looking up the FX6860, I see it has a standard ATX form factor case, which means that ATX form factor Corsair PSU will fit in there.

As for the monitor questions-
I currently use a 30" 2560*1600 HP ZR30w monitor. Sitting at my desk, the monitor is between 24-36" away from my eyes, depending on if I'm leaning back or forward. If the monitor was any bigger, I would have to turn my head to track an object from one side of the screen to the other. For me, 30" is the sweet spot.

As for 1080p being a good enough resolution, I'd say yes, but for 24" or smaller monitors. Any bigger, and like mailin mentioned, you start to loose fine details in the picture. For me, what is acceptable resolution to monitor sizes are as follows
22" or smaller- 1080p
24"- 1080p or 1200p (I'm spoiled as I went from a 17" 1600*1200 CRT to a 24" 1920*1200, so I personally can't go less than 1200p for 24")
27"- 2560*1440 or greater
30"- 2560*1600 or greater

Edited by Barbaric Soul, 06 December 2016 - 08:11 PM.

#6 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:15 PM

I would not say there is no reason for a 4k monitor, just not a compelling one in most cases.
MWO does not look that different in 4k, and that is true for a lot of games. But that is changing.

#7 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:13 AM

I'm hoping that there is a great sale after the new years.

I think a 30-34 inch, higher resolution, and a 144 refresh rate is the way to go. I'm used to waiting a few months to afford something.

I basically wanted others who know more than me to agree with me so this is all good.

#8 Nerd Incognito

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 59 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:42 AM

Just out of curiousity, what wattage power supply were you running? The new crop of GPUs (both Nvidia and AMD) are amazingly power efficient. Both your 550ti and the new 1070 have a 500W PSU recommendation. I guess the point is moot now, but you might not have needed the new PSU.

#9 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:52 AM

View PostNerd Incognito, on 07 December 2016 - 08:42 AM, said:

Just out of curiousity, what wattage power supply were you running? The new crop of GPUs (both Nvidia and AMD) are amazingly power efficient. Both your 550ti and the new 1070 have a 500W PSU recommendation. I guess the point is moot now, but you might not have needed the new PSU.

considering it's a prebuilt, it was probably a good thing to replace.

#10 Nerd Incognito

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 59 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:15 AM

View PostBarbaric Soul, on 07 December 2016 - 08:52 AM, said:

considering it's a prebuilt, it was probably a good thing to replace.

Touche.

#11 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:21 AM

My guy was big on the GTX 1070 needing up to 23 amps, not just 20 amps and this one goes to 25 amps. It has a long warranty so hopefully I will have it a long time.

#12 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:11 PM

Corsair makes pretty good power supplies. I have an AX1200i in my machine that has not caused any problems at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users