9 replies to this topic

#1 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:57 PM

So with the free HBK-GI and the recent sale, I picked up the HBK-4P(C) for grins.
Now I've got one more slot to fill and I can't figure out which one I want to go with;

HBK-4SP for lasery-srm good-ness (like a more brawly version of my BJ-2(L))
or the
HBK-4J for more ranged lrm fire-support (my first LRM mech)

#2 GrumpyMuppet

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:07 PM

SP.
IMO, hunchback is built for brawling. It also probably doesn't have the tonnage to do lurms well.

Edited by GrumpyMuppet, 06 December 2016 - 07:08 PM.

#3 Warglbargl

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:20 PM

The SP is better, you can even run LRMs on it if that is what you are into.

#4 DerDutchman

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:30 PM

Is the J the one that gets the crazy LRM cooldown bonus? I'd be pretty tempted by that. The key is maintaing about a 250-300m range in combat though, which can be hard.

Edit: Actually its only 5% better than the SP, and the SP is less fragile and doesnt become useless when missing its side torso, so screw that, SP is better.

Edited by DerDutchman, 06 December 2016 - 07:39 PM.

#5 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:32 AM

I'd suggest the SP because of its structure quirks and you can see things to the right of the mech.

When I got my Grid Iron I went with the SP and the G (just because I love the boom of the AC20).

Edited by Ruccus, 07 December 2016 - 08:34 AM.

#6 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:45 AM

SP with 2 LRM10 did the job well for me leveling up. Had G, P, SP and during that got a GI during sale way back in day and kept them all too.

G and GI handled my Ballistic needs
P handled Laser vomit
and SP handled a little stand off LRM as other 3 are rather brawl centered.

#7 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:09 AM

I am going with:
1) SP
2) Grid Iron
3) G

#8 GrumpyMuppet

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:53 PM

Hope I'm not too late...

But, I have the G, the free grid iron and the missile one(srm). I also run blackjacks.

I will probably sell my g for the sp (have limited mech bays). I find the g disappointing, the blackjack 1 with an ac20, xl220 and 2mpl is way more fun as a jumping ac20. The ac is not as obvious, so the hunch doesn't get targeted. The grid iron also runs an ac.

The srm version is remarkably tough with structure quirks, the arms are quicker for less spread and 5 ml or spl are a very potent back up.imo it is the best hunchback - noting that I've not run the laser one (yet).

#9 The Lobsters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLocation Location.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:06 PM

View PostGrumpyMuppet, on 07 December 2016 - 03:53 PM, said:

Hope I'm not too late...

But, I have the G, the free grid iron and the missile one(srm). I also run blackjacks.

I will probably sell my g for the sp (have limited mech bays). I find the g disappointing, the blackjack 1 with an ac20, xl220 and 2mpl is way more fun as a jumping ac20. The ac is not as obvious, so the hunch doesn't get targeted. The grid iron also runs an ac.

The srm version is remarkably tough with structure quirks, the arms are quicker for less spread and 5 ml or spl are a very potent back up.imo it is the best hunchback - noting that I've not run the laser one (yet).

Keep the G if you want to run a gauss. The crit bonus and ballistic quirks suit it much better than the Grid Iron. AC20 with srm suits the GI better as it is fights much closer and needs the structure quirks more. Also an srm complements the AC20 better than the spare lasers.

FYI the sp with lrm15 is pretty much on par with the J for lrm's,if you can get over the 15 missiles coming out of 10 sized tubes. Not a biggy really. It needs an XL engine, but it is the most xl friendly Hunchback.

#10 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:51 PM

HBK-4J is the only variant that can go full sway-back! It's actually a better e-boat than the P because there is no hunch! For giggles you can drop 3 LPL in that RT and go to town.

And the J does just dandy with 2 ALRM10 and a brace of med lasers.

Edited by stealthraccoon, 09 December 2016 - 01:53 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users