- - - - -

The Blackjack.

16 replies to this topic

#1 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:34 AM

Hey guys n' gals. Once I finish mastering my Viper I'm gonna move on to my Blackjacks next. One of the varaints I'm going to be using will be the BJ-2(L) with two possible builds that I am looking at.

Build 1, SRMs with ranged energy backups. I like the look of this build, but I've heard that people have trouble with the Blackjack being too fragile to make effective use of SRMs: BJ-2(L)

Build 2, LRMs. Basically in case SRMs don't work: BJ-2(L)

Second variant I intend to get is the BJ-1 with the following build. I intend to make use of its AC/2 quirks but with the upcoming skill tree change and the removal of quirks I worry that if I choose to master a variant based on quirks I will be sorely disappointed when quirks get undone: BJ-1

Third variant, the BJ-1X, with the following build. I've always enjoyed energy boats, before, during, and after the laser vomit meta. I think this might end up being the variant that I find the most fun but I'm uncertain. That being said, my Phoenix Hawk 1K does a lot of damage with this same weapons spread but the Blackjack will do it much cooler at the sacrifice of a little bit of speed: BJ-1X

Now I know that there's not a whole lot of point in mastering new 'mechs right now with the looming skill tree update but I enjoy doing this and I don't want to stop. Any XP I earn now will just become legacy XP anyway that I can use to rebuild it when the update hits. Now it should be noted that my MO is to pick my favorite of the three that I've tried and keep it, the other two I sell once I'm done with them. Experienced Blackjack pilots, what do you think of my builds and can you give me an idea of which of the above builds generally tend to be the most effective for this chassis? Thanks.

#2 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:23 AM

View PostMole, on 07 December 2016 - 08:34 AM, said:

Hey guys n' gals. Once I finish mastering my Viper I'm gonna move on to my Blackjacks next. One of the varaints I'm going to be using will be the BJ-2(L) with two possible builds that I am looking at.

Build 1, SRMs with ranged energy backups. I like the look of this build, but I've heard that people have trouble with the Blackjack being too fragile to make effective use of SRMs: BJ-2(L)

Build 2, LRMs. Basically in case SRMs don't work: BJ-2(L)

Second variant I intend to get is the BJ-1 with the following build. I intend to make use of its AC/2 quirks but with the upcoming skill tree change and the removal of quirks I worry that if I choose to master a variant based on quirks I will be sorely disappointed when quirks get undone: BJ-1

Third variant, the BJ-1X, with the following build. I've always enjoyed energy boats, before, during, and after the laser vomit meta. I think this might end up being the variant that I find the most fun but I'm uncertain. That being said, my Phoenix Hawk 1K does a lot of damage with this same weapons spread but the Blackjack will do it much cooler at the sacrifice of a little bit of speed: BJ-1X

Now I know that there's not a whole lot of point in mastering new 'mechs right now with the looming skill tree update but I enjoy doing this and I don't want to stop. Any XP I earn now will just become legacy XP anyway that I can use to rebuild it when the update hits. Now it should be noted that my MO is to pick my favorite of the three that I've tried and keep it, the other two I sell once I'm done with them. Experienced Blackjack pilots, what do you think of my builds and can you give me an idea of which of the above builds generally tend to be the most effective for this chassis? Thanks.

BJ-2 I tried running this one with a mix of large lasers and SRMs, I am still not satified with performance. I have seen ambusher versions with 4SRM6+A and 2 medium lasers for backup, but I haven't tried the build myself yet.

BJ-1 My preference is for AC5s over AC2s. Despite the better cooldown on AC2s, you are in a slow moving 45 ton mech and trading fire is typically a bad idea with the facetime required for AC2s.

BJ-1X is still an excellent build and has been since the original quirkening. However, there is no longer an advantage to mixing pulse lasers in. *Edit* (Terciel states medium pulse lasers are still considered seperate under the ghost heat system and I can't find any evidence to support my statement).

Edited by SilentScreamer, 07 December 2016 - 01:01 PM.

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:34 AM

View PostSilentScreamer, on 07 December 2016 - 09:23 AM, said:

BJ-1X is still an excellent build and has been since the original quirkening. However, there is no longer an advantage to mixing pulse lasers in.

Yes, there is. MLs and MPLs are not linked for ghost heat, so with 2MPLs, you can alpha without ghost heat.

It's a common mistake to think they got linked on the IS side. They didn't, MPLs just got their own ghost heat limit of 6 where they previously had no ghost heat limit.

Edited by TercieI, 07 December 2016 - 09:34 AM.

#4 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:35 AM

The BJ-2(L) builds look solid to me. I only have one note on them, I'd suggest you max out that armor on your CT for those designs. Not sure if that was just something you missed, or intentional.

Besides that note, I sadly have nothing more I can offer, as I don't own and have never used any Blackjacks so far...

#5 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:49 AM

I was never able to build something I liked for the missile variant. Other mechs are much better at SRM brawling. It can do LRM5 spam okay.

I always preferred the hunchjack over AC2's or 5's. BJ-1

You've got the right idea with the 1X

#6 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:51 AM

I just don't feel right mixing large lasers and SRMs. I mean, the second build is okay, but for the BJ-2(L) I have a suggestion. By downgrading the lasers you can swap from XL to standard, and max the CT armour. Why not give it a try? A little extra survivability never hurt a brawler.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 07 December 2016 - 10:02 AM.

#7 Rekkon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 325 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:54 AM

I absolutely love the A/C 2 BJ-1, but it takes a particular playstyle/mentality to be effective. I ended up dropping one of the medium lasers for another ton of ammo because I was running out so often. Best memory was coring out the rear of a shut-down Marauder from 1500 meters on Polar. Good times.

#8 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:14 AM

I went slightly different with the 2, going for 2 LPL as the main damage dealers and 4 SRM2 for some quick cycling pinpoint missile hits at weak spots.

The 1 looks good IMO as does the 1X.

As you may have noticed the Blackjacks tend to do certain things very well and I would be remiss in not mentioning my favorite IS Medium mech, the BJ-3. It's excellently quirked for PPCs, slap on 2 ERPPC and 4 smalls and this thing is just fun, fun, fun. Long range sniping, pop-tarting, oh yeah!

#9 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:18 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 07 December 2016 - 09:49 AM, said:

I was never able to build something I liked for the missile variant. Other mechs are much better at SRM brawling. It can do LRM5 spam okay.

I always preferred the hunchjack over AC2's or 5's. BJ-1

You've got the right idea with the 1X

I agree. The BJ-2 is a lousy brawler. IMO, the worst BJ variant.

#10 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:21 AM

I would pass BJ 1 and go for BJ 3. It has a few worthy builds around PPCs, ERPPCs or LPLs.

#11 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:06 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 07 December 2016 - 10:14 AM, said:

I went slightly different with the 2, going for 2 LPL as the main damage dealers and 4 SRM2 for some quick cycling pinpoint missile hits at weak spots.

Actually, that sounds pretty good. I might actually try that with my 2. Working on building a PPC BJ-3 right now since it was suggested. I'll post it when I feel like I've arrived at something I like.

EDIT: And here it is: BJ-3

Edited by Mole, 07 December 2016 - 11:12 AM.

#12 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:01 AM

View PostMole, on 07 December 2016 - 11:06 AM, said:

EDIT: And here it is: BJ-3

That's exactly how I run mine. Really fun mech IMNSHO

#13 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:40 PM

What, nobody for the Arrow? It can do some fun things that the other Jacks can't. Like this. Or this. Only Herojack can Zombiejack. Posted Image

Or, I guess, this. Because LPLs with barely more than SPL duration are frelling awesome.

#14 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:43 PM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 08 December 2016 - 08:40 PM, said:

What, nobody for the Arrow? It can do some fun things that the other Jacks can't. Like this. Or this. Only Herojack can Zombiejack. Posted Image

Or, I guess, this. Because LPLs with barely more than SPL duration are frelling awesome.

Most people don't wish to spend real life money for a mech, hence why I rarely suggest them. At least why I don't.

#15 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:53 PM

If he's got the BJ-2(L), however, then he's already spent real life money on MC. Which is, after all, what hero 'Mechs are purchased with- so it's hardly an unreasonable suggestion.

#16 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:00 PM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 08 December 2016 - 08:53 PM, said:

If he's got the BJ-2(L), however, then he's already spent real life money on MC. Which is, after all, what hero 'Mechs are purchased with- so it's hardly an unreasonable suggestion.

I'm not opposed to buying things in this game with RL money but I don't own a hero 'mech and I never plan to. I just don't like them. Couldn't even tell you why.

#17 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:35 PM

I think the BJ-2's durability is average/below average though not poor and rather its biggest problem is sustained heat dissipation(and sluggish handling).

Your lurm build doesn't need large lasers so I would downgrade them to medium or medium pulse and up half of the launchers to LRM10s.

In my opinion the 1X is currently inferior to the Pixie 1K so would skip that for now. If quirks are removed though the 1X would again be better.

BJ-3 is great I highly recommend that.
BJ-1 only works with quirks, that AC-2 build is quite fun though.
BJ-1DC, a lot of hardpoint flexability here and more available mass from stripping an arm.

Edited by Spheroid, 08 December 2016 - 11:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users