Mw:ll

31 replies to this topic

#1 Konrad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 769 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:51 AM

So I tried out the new community patch. Nice easy all in one installer now. Was curious if anyone else has given it a try recently.

Thoughts? Likes, dislikes?

#2 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:04 AM

Can you briefly explain what it is?

#3 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:05 AM

Their minimap looks 10x worse than MWO. It's honestly something that keeps me from playing.

Edited by Davers, 07 December 2016 - 09:06 AM.

#4 QuantumButler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:06 AM

View PostHunka Junk, on 07 December 2016 - 09:04 AM, said:

Crysis Battletech total conversion, now a stand alone free multiplayer fangame.

Has Combined arms, you start as a battlearmor and can purchase using earned cbills battlemechs, armored vehicles, aerospace fighters, and VTOLs.

#5 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:07 AM

A Crysis one mod that attempts to simulate a Mechwarrior game. It succeeds in some areas and falls flat in others. Overall though a pretty polished attempt. There are a lot of fans of it.

#6 Konrad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 769 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:14 AM

I believe it's actually Crysis 2. All in all it's pretty good considering they made it with out getting paid.

#7 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:16 AM

I guess I should've watched the video, eh?

Are y'all on like one server? Where are servers, or anyone can host?

#8 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:16 AM

View PostKonrad, on 07 December 2016 - 09:14 AM, said:

I believe it's actually Crysis 2. All in all it's pretty good considering they made it with out getting paid.

It's based on Crysis Warhead these days I think.

Started out on Crysis 1 though.

#9 Konrad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 769 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:39 AM

View PostHunka Junk, on 07 December 2016 - 09:16 AM, said:

I guess I should've watched the video, eh?

Are y'all on like one server? Where are servers, or anyone can host?

Yes there are a few community servers that are always up. I will play some more tonight.

View PostQuantumButler, on 07 December 2016 - 09:16 AM, said:

It's based on Crysis Warhead these days I think.

Started out on Crysis 1 though.

Mechwarrior: Living Legends is an award-winning, fan-created, multiplayer mod, based in the BattleTech universe, and using CryEngine 2 as its engine

Edited by Konrad, 07 December 2016 - 09:40 AM.

#10 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:52 AM

View PostKonrad, on 07 December 2016 - 09:39 AM, said:

Mechwarrior: Living Legends is an award-winning, fan-created, multiplayer mod, based in the BattleTech universe, and using CryEngine 2 as its engine

Cryengine 2 is not crysis 2.

Crysis warhead is built on cryengine 2.

#11 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:14 AM

God thing I hate:

Passive radar is stupid as hell. Apparently the radar in this game is only a beacon and a Radar Warning Receiver. A bad mechanic that is also insanely unrealistic. :/

I hate having to buy mechs in game as well.

The weight of the mechs is good and I like the Bitching Betty. For a fan game I think it's well done.

Edited by Snowbluff, 07 December 2016 - 11:17 AM.

#12 Konrad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 769 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:00 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 07 December 2016 - 10:52 AM, said:

Cryengine 2 is not crysis 2.

Crysis warhead is built on cryengine 2.

Typo I was referring to the engine.

View PostSnowbluff, on 07 December 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

God thing I hate:

Passive radar is stupid as hell. Apparently the radar in this game is only a beacon and a Radar Warning Receiver. A bad mechanic that is also insanely unrealistic. :/

I hate having to buy mechs in game as well.

The weight of the mechs is good and I like the Bitching Betty. For a fan game I think it's well done.

I think it would be fun if we all jump on for a few games

#13 G o a t

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:17 PM

MechWarrior Living Legends is a Battletech game made by fans for fans. Huge props for the devs and the community.

For all the outdated graphics and such MWLL is more of a Battletech sim than MechWarrior Online was, is, and most likely, ever will be.

MWLL got mechs' speed right, apart from many other things. And the variety of assets, yummm.

#14 Darko Nagasawa

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:18 PM

To make our little list complete, it's actually based on Crysis Wars these days (years).

MW fans should know it. It was the only MW game one could play in the period when MW4 graphics became more and more outdated (if you cared about that) and MWO wasn't around yet. And yeah, massive kudos to the voluntary developers (both new and old).

I usually only drop by for Chaos March, the campaign that is played on weekends. Feels just like a good round of faction play. Every single time.

@Snowbluff: Buying assets (mechs, tanks, flying vehicles) makes sense as a game mechanic. The better you are, the faster you can progress toward assault mechs.

#15 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:33 PM

Alright, in case anyone here doesn't understand the difference between the community edition and the last MW:LL patch from the real devs I'll explain it here.

Basically the last patch for MW:LL was created in 2013, and was the final 0.7.1 patch from the old team of devs who originally created the project. MW:LL recently got a revival from a new team of devs with the latest version now being 0.8.2, with 0.8.1 being the first patch to bring the game back from hiatus.

Now as much as I liked what these new devs did (improved engine performance, cleaned up and updated the HUD, updated textures with more resolution support, etc.) they are going backwards with alot of other areas of the project. I'm not going to judge it further until they deliver their promise of newer mechs in the game, but what I can judge is the changes that they made.

The newer devs have this bizarre favoritism towards mixing and matching lasers, ballistics, and missiles on ALL mechs that aren't a Prime variant. A few examples of mechs that got affected are the Novacat, Fafnir and the Rifleman. Here's an example:

The older Novacat B used to run a 4xLpl setup that was absolutely fun to pilot. Now the newer devs took the older B variant, removed 2 of the initial pulse lasers in favor for streak srm 6's, buffed the clan large pulse laser range to about 100m more (this really wasn't necessary because Clan Large Pulse Lasers were already strong as they were), and now force this new chassis onto everyone. So if you had a favorite mech that you used to run in the older build, it's most likely changed into something else that might be distasteful to you. Every mech that isn't a Prime now feels like a Swiss army knife.

They also made machine guns have unlimited ammo. Why would they do this? I've never had any issues with limited ammo with machine guns in the previous builds. I get the gut feeling that whoever is in charge on these newer releases, are going 10 steps backwards and 1 step forward.

TL:DR the older 0.7.1 MW:LL felt much more fun and balanced than what we have now.

If anyone is interested in downloading this, I would personally wait a few months and see if the new devs decide to put in the resources to make a forum, an effort to listen to the active players, revert some of the chases that didn't need modification and were overall more fun. It's still a fun game, but the 0.7.1 build was ALOT more fun than what we have now.

RIP rac5 Fafnir. You will be forever missed but never forgotten.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 07 December 2016 - 01:04 PM.

#16 Konrad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 769 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:39 PM

Nice post Arnold. I love the way they did the JJ's.

#17 Tibbnak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 379 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:56 PM

MwLL is neat and the result of 10+ years of dedicated fan work. The result was a somewhat playable but ultimately incredibly janky mod for crysis wars that exposed MOST of the bugs and glitches and terribleness of said horrible engine.

Currently it's full of salty mwo players and cantankerous greybeards, and the community people who picked up developing it have no idea what they're doing ™.

It's worth a play, anyways.

#18 Darko Nagasawa

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:37 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 07 December 2016 - 12:33 PM, said:

Basically the last patch for MW:LL was created in 2013, and was the final 0.7.1 patch from the old team of devs who originally created the project. MW:LL recently got a revival from a new team of devs with the latest version now being 0.8.2, with 0.8.1 being the first patch to bring the game back from hiatus.

The current "base" version is 0.8.0, the patch is 0.8.1. The game can be downloaded from here: https://clanjadewolf.net/mwll/

The newer devs have this bizarre favoritism towards mixing and matching lasers, ballistics, and missiles on ALL mechs that aren't a Prime variant. A few examples of mechs that got affected are the Novacat, Fafnir and the Rifleman. Here's an example:

Not that I have any insight into why the devs did what, but to me it looks like the only other option would be boats. Why did u like the Fafnir and Novacat variants u mentioned so much? Because they were good? And why exactly? Probably because they were strong due to boating. So the devs had the option to go the way they did or go down the way MWO went - and we know where that led.
Also, having a range of weapons seems realistic. Any MBT today has 2 MGs apart from that main gun. It's still a sniper, though. And how well did they do in desert towns recently? So well that the constructors had to put cages on the back, cameras on them, remote-controlled weapon stations, extra armor plates for crew outlooks etc. Think about it: A mech is such a valuable thing. Would you want to lose a super expensive assault in a 'typical MWO situation' where a light kills it because it only brought PPCs? Unimaginable in the BT universe.

If anyone is interested in downloading this, I would personally wait a few months and see if the new devs decide to put in the resources to make a forum, an effort to listen to the active players, revert some of the chases that didn't need modification and were overall more fun. It's still a fun game, but the 0.7.1 build was ALOT more fun than what we have now.

The old forum is still in use by the current community. U can find it here: http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/ The community build is discussed in "General Discussion".
I strongly recommend dropping on Saturday and Sunday nights with the guys from the Chaos March campaign. It's free for all and afaik some devs also show up. Read more here: http://forum.mechliv...oard,100.0.html The games are great, everyone is super friendly and u might get a chance to voice ur concerns. ;)

#19 SecretMantis

• PipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:32 PM

MWLL: built by grognards for grognards. Never really liked it. IMO, MWO is better in every aspect. To each their own.

#20 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:33 PM

Mechwarrior Living Legends. It is awesome. Try it, it's free.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users