How Do You Set Up Your Weapon Groups?

50 replies to this topic

#1 MiniFish

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:04 AM

i'm just getting curious here, how do you guys set up your weapon groups?

personally i can only handle at most 4 groups at once, and my setup is usually categorized into either primary + secondary + support weapons, or left arm + right arm + torso, and i do my "alpha strikes" by pressing all the buttons at once, usually resulting in me throwing out a really sloppy alphastrike Posted Image

take centurion for example, LMB for CT lasers, RMB for arm cannons, then shoulder button for missiles, or for my black knight i would group LMB for all my torso lasers and have chain fire toggled on, then RMB for the dual ppcs in the right arm, then a shoulder button for torso lasers without chainfire, one utility button (by default a dpi shift button) to toggle chain fire, and at the start of the match i would select my ppcs so i can toggle chainfire instantly when i need to.

i dont run builds with more than 4 weapon group though, even the second shoulder button was a pain to press at times, and i usually have them linked to fire support lurms if i have any mounted.

sometime ago i had to "return to my roots" and use a non gaming mouse, played a few matches with only 2(!) weapon groups, boy that was awkward as hell. did some experimenting to change the mousewheels to fire one weapon group each and found it worked pretty well for me, now that i'm back with my usual rig i adopted that mousewheel setting but 6 weapon groups is just too much to handle so i've yet to actually do a 6 weapon group frankenmech setup

so yeah, i'd like to know how you guys set up your weapon groups and your rationale behind it

#2 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:06 AM

I can't be bothered with any more than 3, generally grouped by range.

#3 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:10 AM

RMB + LMB = win

EDIT: my favorite examples

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fb7fd92a483db62

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...883683daf0c07d1

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...40b1662c10d6b99

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...141509441cebd75

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3233d5b0ebd45d7

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7de28c85af69be1

Edited by Snazzy Dragon, 07 December 2016 - 11:28 AM.

#4 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:10 AM

3. I'd do more than that if one of my kids would set up my mouse for me (its got a ton of buttons but most don't work even when I go into settings and assign them their numbers to various functions), but I am too lazy to try and figure it out. Luckily I only have like maybe 10 mechs that might benefit from more than those three, so I don't feel too bad about it.

#5 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:13 AM

Depends on the weapons, of course.

Whenever possible; button 1 = left side weapons, button 2 = right side weapons, button 3 & 4 = torso weapons.
Sometimes button 1 = arm weapons, button 2 = LRMs, button 3 = torso weapons / TAG.
Other times button 1 = long range weapons, button 2 = short range weapons, button 3 = MGs.

It's quite rare for me to use 4 weapon groups, but I sometimes do stuff like button 1 = left side, button 2 = right side, button 3 = short range, button 4 = long range.

#6 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:15 AM

W + Space + R + LMB

EZ

#7 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:16 AM

View PostMiniFish, on 07 December 2016 - 11:04 AM, said:

i'm just getting curious here, how do you guys set up your weapon groups?

I use the arrow keys and R-CTRL.

#8 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:20 AM

I can handle 4 weapon groups max, it's just how I am. Oddball weapon types like flamers or TAG I can assign to a 5th without a problem. My primary weapon set which is on my left mouse button are my arm mounted weapons, which are usually close to medium range. In the heat of the moment it's just easier for me to use when I need to take a shot at something below my feet when I'm on a higher elevation, or when I need to line up a shot on a UAV in a darned hurry.

Edit - L Mouse = arm weapons (or left arm), R Mouse = torso / distance weapons (or right arm), keyboard F = SRM style weapon, keyboard T = LRM style weapon, Mouse 3 = oddball flamers / TAG.

Edited by FireStoat, 07 December 2016 - 11:22 AM.

#9 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:23 AM

First off, I have a G600 mouse, so I have as many weapon group buttons as I need, and then some.

I try and group logically, however. Generally, I run either: LMB for left arm, RMB for right arm, ring finger button for torso weapons, or I use LMB for arm weapons, RMB for one half of my torso weapons, and ring finger button for the other half of the torso weapons. Group 4-6 are where my thumb rests, and I generally reserve those for self guided weapons, such as SSRM or LRMs.

Rarely, however, I'll use group 4 (thumb) and LMB for split left side weapon groups, and RMB and ring finger for split right side weapon groups. Does not happen often, but I do have it. Even rarer, I will use group 4 for a single, primary, torso mounted AC, when groups 1-3 are occupied.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 07 December 2016 - 11:24 AM.

#10 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:24 AM

Primary are on 1 and 2 with any extra on 3 and/or 5. If I need left/right arm specific buttons as well those go in 4 and 6 (because they're on the left and right side of the Naga's pad).

Of course just having 2 groups is easiest if the build works on 2.

#11 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:26 AM

Left, Right, Extra and Alpha. 1, 2, 3 and 4.

#12 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:28 AM

I generally try for 2-3 weapon groups, though if a build requires a fourth group then I can accommodate it.

Left click for left side, right click for right side, and my two thumb buttons I can also divide left and right. Often it ends up being left arm left click, right arm right click, left torso lower thumb, right torso upper thumb.

Of course, any such guidelines are necessarily loose and adapted to the needs of a particular build, but those guidelines are as natural and intuitive as I could make them.

#13 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:29 AM

I have a crap mouse that, for how cheap it is, still has 4 buttons+mousewheel. M1 and M2 are left and right, respectively, and my 2 side buttons are my extra weapons. Things like M3 are usually my machine guns/secondary direct fire weapons for close range or TAG lasers, while M4 is almost solely used for LRMs due to it being just slightly out of my way to press it. The only time I've had to deal with more weapon groups than that is dealing with the Dire Wolf Prime lore loadout. There I just said screw it and used number keys for the final groups.

Edited by RestosIII, 07 December 2016 - 11:29 AM.

#14 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:30 AM

I generally have 2-3 weapon groups.

Most normally it's:

- LMB: primary weapons
- RMB: secondary weapons
- middle button: tertiary weapons OR chain fire of primary/secondary weapons

On some 'mechs I use on alternate scheme based on the physical geometry:

- LMB: left arm weapons
- RMB: right arm weapons
- middle button: head/torso weapons

This is incredibly intuitive on suitable 'mechs, e.g. Phoenix Hawks.

Mouse button 4 (under my thumb, on the side of mouse) is always alpha strike, whatever the build.

Edited by jss78, 07 December 2016 - 11:32 AM.

#15 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:30 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 07 December 2016 - 11:29 AM, said:

I have a crap mouse that, for how cheap it is, still has 4 buttons+mousewheel. M1 and M2 are left and right, respectively, and my 2 side buttons are my extra weapons. Things like M3 are usually my machine guns/secondary direct fire weapons for close range or TAG lasers, while M4 is almost solely used for LRMs due to it being just slightly out of my way to press it.

I got sold a cheap couger 700m for a mere $15 from a friend. I could run 6 weapon groups pretty easily but boats are just too stronk. Instead, I use the extra buttons for consumables.

#16 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:31 AM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 07 December 2016 - 11:30 AM, said:

I got sold a cheap couger 700m for a mere $15 from a friend. I could run 6 weapon groups pretty easily but boats are just too stronk. Instead, I use the extra buttons for consumables.

Bah. I haven't used consumables in a good 5 months. I equalize it by just making sure no enemy UAV ever stays up for more than a couple seconds.

#17 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:33 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 07 December 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

Bah. I haven't used consumables in a good 5 months. I equalize it by just making sure no enemy UAV ever stays up for more than a couple seconds.

you haven't lived until you've stomped around in a triple uac20 dire wolf sustained by cool shots and salty tears

#18 The Lobsters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLocation Location.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:33 AM

View PostLostdragon, on 07 December 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

I use the arrow keys and R-CTRL.

Doctor :- "...and how did you find yourself this morning?"

Patient :- "Well, I just rolled back the covers and there I was"

#19 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:35 AM

I use up to 5 groups. If I found a mouse with a button my pinky finger could use then I would use 6.

Groups 1 and 2 are left and right mouse buttons. Will normally be primary energy/balistic weapons. And I try to align with what side of the mechs the weapons are on

Groups 3 and 4 will either be arm based weapons or srm/lrm/ssrms/tag/mgs. (Thumb side buttons). Occasionally a single large baluster, when 1 and 2 are splitting a heap of lasers.

Group 5 - scroll backwards... normally chain firing energy weapons. (But it doesn't work like chain fire, as every time you scroll back another grouped weapon fires, so you can control how many or few you want to fire at a time).

Alpha strike - scroll forwards

Edited by chucklesMuch, 07 December 2016 - 12:17 PM.

#20 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:38 AM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 07 December 2016 - 11:33 AM, said:

you haven't lived until you've stomped around in a triple uac20 dire wolf sustained by cool shots and salty tears

And I'd like to say that you've never lived until you've run an Adder Prime lore loadout, or Warhawk Prime lore loadout, on Terra Therma and battled your way to victory in the lava without coolshots or running fully leveled, with no modules. That's a true victory that makes you feel alive while you do it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users