The Roughneck. A Blessing Or A Disaster In Disguise.

72 replies to this topic

#21 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:53 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 07 December 2016 - 03:52 PM, said:

It's a disaster just as bad as when they released StarWars The Force Awakens and featured a new version (T-70) of the X Wing.

It ruinied everything, and it was obviously LucasFilm's attempt to kill the Star Wars franchise.

Dat sarcasm doe.

#22 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:55 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 07 December 2016 - 03:43 PM, said:

What if I told you that many of the original BattleTech 'Mechs are not from BattleTech? Where is your god, now, hmmm?
thank you!

#23 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:56 PM

View PostMole, on 07 December 2016 - 03:53 PM, said:

Dat sarcasm doe.

Dude, they took a fat sh** on my beloved X Wing! They had no right to just create new content and make changes to IP like that. It proves that they don't care about the fan base. I mean, nobody likes how the new X Wing looked, and they need to stick with what they are good at - using only official content from Star Wars 4-6 without modification.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 07 December 2016 - 03:58 PM.

#24 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:00 PM

I have no problem with it as it's been accepted into the universe via Catalyst games saying it's "A-OK".

My concern is if it's a very good mech, considering it's back story, it shouldn't be anything special and if anything it should be kinda weak.

#25 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:02 PM

View PostNathaniel Johns, on 07 December 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

If they somehow added this mech to the Lore in a new Mechwarrior book it would work.

I say just stick to adding real mechs to the game. After all there are tons and tons and tons.

Piranha has the blessing of both Jordan Weisman and Catalyst Game Labs. It's extremely unlikely that the Roughneck won't be included in the broader BattleTech universe, especially since the reasoning behind it actually makes some decent sense from an in-universe perspective - take a functioning and successful base chassis, even if it's an IndustrialMech chassis, and upgrade it into an affordable workhorse-y BattleMech. It cuts down on R&D costs, lets them get a leg up on production, and they can point to the success of the Loader King as a harbinger of good value for the Roughneck.

It could've been a lot worse, man. This thing has a surprisingly solid grounding in the background of the 'verse, and Piranha's already been acknowledged as the first explicitly canonical MechWarrior game developer by Catalyst/Jordan.

#26 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:02 PM

I got nothing against the Roughneck Mech itself, what I do have against is the lie it represent.

Russ twitted that it was something they never did before which is true for every monthly Mech that comes out so there is nothing really special about it. Some might say that is PGI own Mech and what makes it special but for me its even more a reason to not get it even for CBill with the history of promises we got that never came to be.

If it would have been a Quad, then it would have been truly never done before.

#27 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

View PostTheLuc, on 07 December 2016 - 04:02 PM, said:

I got nothing against the Roughneck Mech itself, what I do have against is the lie it represent.

Russ twitted that it was something they never did before which is true for every monthly Mech that comes out so there is nothing really special about it. Some might say that is PGI own Mech and what makes it special but for me its even more a reason to not get it even for CBill with the history of promises we got that never came to be.

You are contorting truth to fit your personal narrative.

PGI has never designed their own 'Mech from the ground up. It is special in that sense, and very much in-line with the notion of "something we've never done before."

#28 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:35 PM

View PostNathaniel Johns, on 07 December 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

This will be the first time a fake or made up mech has been introduced into the game.

ok first
you might want to go check your sources , id start with the Uziel and MW4 if i were you

second
where do you think the mechs and their source material come from ?

im sorry to have to bare this bad news to you
but everything in battletech is made up, every bit of source material and unit design is fake
yep
thats right
none of it is real bro

but its ok, you can still enjoy it
i promise, even knowing what you know now, it will not take the shine of your mechs paint
go eat a cookie , you will feel better

#29 KoalaBrownie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:49 PM

View PostNathaniel Johns, on 07 December 2016 - 01:21 PM, said:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope it doesn't become a normal thing ya know? I would rather see any other mech literally

It's not going to be a normal thing. There's literally no point for PGI to go on paying Microsoft for their Mechwarrior License and then ignoring that license by creating new mechs all the time instead of using existing ones. No one creates a Star Wars starship game and then doesn't put a Star Destroyer or an X-Wing in it. Even many Star Wars games, when they ran out of ships to put in, they raided concept artwork and introduced them as new ships rather than simply creating new stuff from scratch. The so-called Victory Star Destroyer for example is just a rejected Star Destroyer concept, same with the Correllian Gunship which was a blockade runner reject. I wouldn't be surprised if the Z-95 Headhunter was rejected X-Wing concept as well. Point is, people with the license still raided from that license even when they had the opportunity to inject their own ideas. The same will true most likely of MWO, which will draw upon the wealth of battlemechs available in favour of creating their own mechs. Which they may do from time to time, but very rarely I suspect.

There's also reason why the next few mechs coming up are the Marauder IIC and Bushwhacker, because those are popular mechs and they'll "sell" the game, such as it is. The Bushwhacker for example is completely pointless, there are many other mechs which historically play more significant roles but it was the poster boy for the cartoon and may have been in the other games so in it goes.

Edited by KoalaBrownie, 07 December 2016 - 04:52 PM.

#30 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:49 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 07 December 2016 - 04:34 PM, said:

You are contorting truth to fit your personal narrative.

PGI has never designed their own 'Mech from the ground up. It is special in that sense, and very much in-line with the notion of "something we've never done before."

Exactly what I wrote, that some would say its PGIs mech so its Special while its just like any other Mech that comes out monthly. There is no contorting here.

The Cyclops, while simple had something special never done before.

#31 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:54 PM

View PostTheLuc, on 07 December 2016 - 04:02 PM, said:

Care to come again? Because it's not a lie. The only lie is the one you are telling yourself, that it isn't something that hasn't been done before.

#32 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:04 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 07 December 2016 - 03:56 PM, said:

Dude, they took a fat sh** on my beloved X Wing! They had no right to just create new content and make changes to IP like that. It proves that they don't care about the fan base. I mean, nobody likes how the new X Wing looked, and they need to stick with what they are good at - using only official content from Star Wars 4-6 without modification.
you're a hoot!

Man those squared off intakes annoy me! It's almost they looked at airplanes made in the last 30 years! ********!

#33 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:26 PM

View PostSnowbluff, on 07 December 2016 - 05:04 PM, said:

you're a hoot!

Man those squared off intakes annoy me! It's almost they looked at airplanes made in the last 30 years! ********!

Point of contention: the turbines in an aircraft engine have the rest of the fuselage to go into. The intakes on the new X-wing don't have room for that, and that's what bothers people. That, and the off-set S-foils. Not as aesthetically pleasing.

#34 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:31 PM

Some people are easier to please, I guess.

#35 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:33 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 07 December 2016 - 05:26 PM, said:

Point of contention: the turbines in an aircraft engine have the rest of the fuselage to go into. The intakes on the new X-wing don't have room for that, and that's what bothers people. That, and the off-set S-foils. Not as aesthetically pleasing.

Wait, are there people that actually care about the new X-Wing? I thought he was being painfully sarcastic in every way. If someone wanted real salt in regards to Star Wars, they should be salty about the Expanded Universe getting thrown out, not an X-Wing design.

#36 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:43 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 07 December 2016 - 05:33 PM, said:

Wait, are there people that actually care about the new X-Wing? I thought he was being painfully sarcastic in every way. If someone wanted real salt in regards to Star Wars, they should be salty about the Expanded Universe getting thrown out, not an X-Wing design.

TBQH, the X-Wing redesign isn't a problem. That The Force Awakens was exceedingly mediocre in every way possible is the problem. Posted Image

#37 Agent1190

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 469 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:03 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 07 December 2016 - 05:33 PM, said:

Actually, the "new" X-wing is closer to Ralph McQuarries' original concept artwork for the X-wing pre-episode 4.

...and I allowed myself to get drug into this.

#38 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:21 PM

View PostAgent1190, on 07 December 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

Actually, the "new" X-wing is closer to Ralph McQuarries' original concept artwork for the X-wing pre-episode 4.

...and I allowed myself to get drug into this.

AKA, like the basically entire movie, it was pure fan-service.

Come see Star Wars: Into Darkness, coming to a theatre near you!

#39 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:35 PM

The scientist in me just couldn't take the idea of a weaponized planet that scooted around wherever it wanted to go and consumed entire stars seriously. And Kylo Ren was an angsty teenager baby throughout the entire film instead of an actual Sith badass.

#40 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:44 PM

View PostMole, on 07 December 2016 - 01:24 PM, said:

If this is a one-time thing then I'm fine with it. It honestly bothers me how many people I see just looking at the concept art and crying about how they custom taylored this 'mech for the MWO meta. All they're seeing is that big shoulder cannon. Seriously, have you seen this thing's hardpoints and tonnage? I'm going to be very surprised if the Roughneck replaces anything in the meta. Most of the variants hardpoints look like garbage to me except for maybe the one that boats energy weapons. It's just got a ton of ballistics hardpoints and not enough tonnage or space to use them. I think it has the same syndrome that I believe the Bushwhacker is going to have.

Its not just huge shoulder cannon(actually theres 2 in main variant), but also ballistic hardpoints in arms and even if you wont use them you have massive shield arms.

What bothers me personally is how much variety you have in hardpoints between variants.
You have shoulder ballistics. variant with 4 missile hardpoints + ballistics, laservomit variant and high mounted laser variant. with ballistic hardpoints to be used either as dual ac20 + mlas or 4 llas.

And then i turn around and look at what i can put on supernova besides ppc poptart and laservomit.

I like building mechs, its fun for me and every variant of roughneck i can actually build differently unlike some of old canon designs, especially clan.

Edited by davoodoo, 07 December 2016 - 06:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users