The Roughneck. A Blessing Or A Disaster In Disguise.

72 replies to this topic

#41 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:44 PM

View PostMole, on 07 December 2016 - 06:35 PM, said:

The scientist in me just couldn't take the idea of a weaponized planet that scooted around wherever it wanted to go and consumed entire stars seriously. And Kylo Ren was an angsty teenager baby throughout the entire film instead of an actual Sith badass.

Death beam that is:

A.) gifted with hyperlight velocity despite never being shown in the movie

B.) capable of splitting into multiple death beams, each capable of destroying a planet, and

C.) gifted with homing abilities, so it can't miss.

Yeah. This is a text-book Mary Sue. Such utter, contemptible cheese.

#42 Agent1190

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 469 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:52 PM

And, the worst part was, Ep7 had no frickin' Ewoks. Those things are the most dangerous race in the known galaxy. They took down an entire legion of Imperial Storm Troopers with wooden arrows and thrown rocks. You would think the Alliance would have signed those beasts to their infantry.

#43 Airu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:12 PM

Been waiting for a new 20/25/30 ton, fast IS light for years... or like any new light mech at all. Another heavy is what this game apparantly needs.

#44 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:32 PM

View Postdavoodoo, on 07 December 2016 - 01:17 PM, said:

Personally got nothing against new made up mechs, but then i agree they should first introduce whats already in the lore.

Waay waay too many mechs to get around to all of them. By that theory you're saying they might be allowed to add their own in another 10 years or so. They've already put in a huge share or existing lore mechs, plenty enough to deserve to be able to add one of their own.

#45 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:35 PM

View PostAgent1190, on 07 December 2016 - 06:52 PM, said:

And, the worst part was, Ep7 had no frickin' Ewoks. Those things are the most dangerous race in the known galaxy. They took down an entire legion of Imperial Storm Troopers with wooden arrows and thrown rocks. You would think the Alliance would have signed those beasts to their infantry.

If you have access to any of the older SW RPG rulebooks, can't remember off the top of my head which one, there is a great little fluff piece from a stormtrooper's point of view, detailing how savage and brutal the little Ewoks were. Essentially the Ewoks tore them apart and ate them.....

#46 Gaden Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 449 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:51 PM

Basically all the negative remarks can be summed up in one hashtag:
#NotMyBattletech

And the replies to those remarks can also be summed up in one hastag:
#SoWhat?

Also comparing Disney - Starwars, to what PGI - MWO did? It is not even close, those $$$ sucking leeches at Disney kill 33 years of work in what 1 second ...

Yea the introduction of 1 new Mech that was blessed by the creator of the IP and current holder of the IP is as rage inducting and !@#!@#!@#$!@%!@#%#!@#!@# FU as what Disney did.

I am super happy Star Wars Ep7 sucks. After that huge finger that Disney gave me, it is only right that they cement it by ensuring the show was actually really bad.

Edited by Gaden Phoenix, 07 December 2016 - 08:58 PM.

#47 KoalaBrownie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:16 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 07 December 2016 - 06:44 PM, said:

Death beam that is:

A.) gifted with hyperlight velocity despite never being shown in the movie

B.) capable of splitting into multiple death beams, each capable of destroying a planet, and

C.) gifted with homing abilities, so it can't miss.

Yeah. This is a text-book Mary Sue. Such utter, contemptible cheese.

The problem isn't the hyper tek, nor the fact the movie is one big nostalgia call out to the original trilogy, nor even the fact that Greg Grunberg's fat arse is once again benefiting from Abram's unfettered cronyism, no, the REAL problem with that movie is that the characters have no agency and the world has no sense of time or space. Characters do not form plans, but rather are constantly interrupted by having unrelated story threads thrust upon them, all the while teleporting about the world from one location to another with no sense of time or place. It's a lifeless world with flat characters.

#48 Dakkss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:16 PM

View PostNathaniel Johns, on 07 December 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

When I saw Roughneck I wasn't sure where in the battle tech universe I could find it....then I read more into it. PGI made it up.

Just like the folks at FASA made up Battlemechs back in the 80's (apart from the plagiarisms)

This will be the first time a fake or made up mech has been introduced into the game.

Just so you know, all mechs are fake and made up. They don't exist.
It's not like it doesn't look or fit the part of the BT universe, it looks like a customized industrial mech.

I just feel like if they do this once maybe they will continue to keep doing it. More and more and next thing you know half of the mechs you see are not even in the battle tech universe or lore. That would suck.

Y'know, I can imagine that's how pre-clan BT players felt when the clans were introduced.
"Wtf these aren't Battletech mechs they're so much more customizable and powerful and weird, this sucks"
The Roughneck is part of the universe now whether you like it or not.

I say just stick to adding real mechs to the game.

There's that word again

Why complain about a greater variety? I can't remember the exact numbers but it's a silly complaint when the original mech list consisted of about 60, and now there's about 600 mech designs. Adding another one is like pissing into an ocean

In fact I'd be happy with most of the Mektek mechs from MechWarrior 4 becoming canon, like the Black Heart, Warthog, Pitbull, Privateer, Gesu, Talos, Assassin II, Ares and especially the Wildcat and Tenchi. They're great designs.

Edited by Dakkss, 07 December 2016 - 10:02 PM.

#49 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:13 AM

I agree with the OP and I don't like this mech.

#50 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:41 AM

I disagree with the OP, as I think that a relatively small step away from lore is a good thing.

This way, PGI can create something "new and original", and that's always a good thing.

As long as they don't abandon lore completely..

Then again, since they have the liscences needed, there's nothing to stop them from making a totally dramatic twist, and take the timeline to the post-jihad era, introducing a bunch of new tech and making up some brand new of their own?

The BT universe does not need to stop with the post-jihad era.. maybe its time to roll on forward?

However, plenty of existing mechs and tech are still available to them.. so we'll see what this roughneck leads us to..

#51 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:43 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 08 December 2016 - 12:41 AM, said:

I disagree with the OP, as I think that a relatively small step away from lore is a good thing.

This way, PGI can create something "new and original", and that's always a good thing.

As long as they don't abandon lore completely..

Then again, since they have the liscences needed, there's nothing to stop them from making a totally dramatic twist, and take the timeline to the post-jihad era, introducing a bunch of new tech and making up some brand new of their own?

The BT universe does not need to stop with the post-jihad era.. maybe its time to roll on forward?

However, plenty of existing mechs and tech are still available to them.. so we'll see what this roughneck leads us to..

LORE and MWO wich LORE are we talking about, again?

While I like the Mech Design from its visuals.
it seems that this step was unnecessary with all those multiple hundreds of Mechs still available.

#52 Valhallan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 484 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:23 AM

eh just think of the roughneck as a Hollander IV (even looks similar just a bit more bulky because of the increased fat), 1 (35t) and 2(45t) are in canon, 3(55t) is MIA, and the 4th(65t) is here Posted Image.

#53 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:27 AM

View PostValhallan, on 08 December 2016 - 01:23 AM, said:

eh just think of the roughneck as a Hollander IV (even looks similar just a bit more bulky because of the increased fat), 1 (35t) and 2(45t) are in canon, 3(55t) is MIA, and the 4th(65t) is here Posted Image.

O dear - the MWO Mag Shot Gauss would even look awful on the Hollander (1)

#54 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:31 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 08 December 2016 - 01:27 AM, said:

O dear - the MWO Mag Shot Gauss would even look awful on the Hollander (1)

Lego mech has really screwed a lot of mechs both in the game and with the possibility to be added. I'm still mourning my Warhawk PPC barrels.

Edited by RestosIII, 08 December 2016 - 01:35 AM.

#55 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:37 AM

Alex has earned the honor of having a Mech of his own design added to BT canon.

I am very happy for him that PGI and Catalyst have given him that opportunity.

#56 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:43 AM

I had no idea they made this one up, I'm not a lore hound and I'm no hardcore aficionado but even if I was I wouldn't have a problem with it. PGI deserves to make what it wants and hopefully it'll sell so we can all continue to play.

While they're at it they should make a 100 ton mech with the overall look of a SHC and 4B shoulder 4B arm mounted on the IS side to give the KDK a run for its money, make sure to have 2E CT points as well.

I do agree that we didn't need another 65 tonner and would love for this to have been a 75 tonner.

#57 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:19 AM

If it does not become the standard, I am OK with non lore mechs.

#58 davoodoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:54 AM

View PostBandilly, on 07 December 2016 - 07:32 PM, said:

Waay waay too many mechs to get around to all of them. By that theory you're saying they might be allowed to add their own in another 10 years or so. They've already put in a huge share or existing lore mechs, plenty enough to deserve to be able to add one of their own.

Since there are perfectly viable lore designs then yeah, made up models arent necessary.

Also remember that they arent big on quads or advancing the clock, so we lack what?? 50 era appropriate designs?? i think even less.

#59 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:27 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 08 December 2016 - 04:54 AM, said:

50 era appropriate designs?? i think even less.

So you're saying PGI shouldn't be allowed to make up any designs for another 4 years or so. I say that's bull, they've put in a metric boatload of mechs already, they deserve a break. Personally I think they should do their own about once a year, make the annual Mechcon mech always their own design.

#60 Silra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCold North

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:37 AM

I did not read all the replies, so someone may have posted the following info, in which case I apologize for repeat information.

Microsoft already added 7 new mechs of their own making into the Mechwarrior license way back when. One of those mechs has even been begged for on this very forum, the Mad Cat MK II.
This is the first addition to the lore by PGI, in how many years of them holding the license.

In all honesty it was an eventuality, even if I also agree that I'd have preferred if they added a mech of different weight class than a 65 tonner, or even a heavy at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users