I Like My Zeus

18 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Boutique

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:48 PM

But if you don't, stop shooting me in the back at the start to bully me into another.

#2 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:51 PM

Are people seriously doing this to you? I'd hate to see these people's reactions when I bring my triple AC/2 Victor then. That being said, I've been through all the tiers and have never had anyone try to bully me for bringing a certain chassis. I have had people bully me over a build that they thought was bad though. What are you running on your Zeus?

#3 Stonekeg

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 69 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSouthern Cali

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:54 PM

Where else should I leave notes/doodles with my SL if the back of a Zeus is no longer a proper canvas?

Kidding, kidding. I don't always FF, but when I do it's because I'm accidentally leaning on my mouse with a heavy drunken hand.

Edited by stonekeg, 07 December 2016 - 03:55 PM.

#4 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:55 PM

Keep rocking dat Zeus with pride, yo!

It was one of the original two mechs I started with and mastered. (I should take the old girls out for a dance one of these days....)

#5 Weaselball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 670 posts
  • LocationHell's ********, AKA Fresno.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:56 PM

The Zeus is solid enough, IMHO. It's not going to absolutely ruin mechs like the Kodiak-3 can, or shred things to pieces like a quad UAC-5 King Crab will, but it has its place. It's my go-to assault, personally, and a long, long time Tabletop favorite. If people shoot you specifically because you're in it, then they're idiots. They MIGHT be shooting you in the back at the start of the match because they are testing their weapons though, FYI. Tier 3 and all, bads might just be bads and testing out their weapon groups ignorant of their teammates around.

#6 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:00 PM

While we're on this subject, this has gotten me playing with Zeuses in Smurphy's mechlab trying to come up with one I think I'll like. Can an experienced Zeus pilot tell me how well they run XLs? Or should I abandon any build that calls for an XL in a Zeus?

#7 Weaselball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 670 posts
  • LocationHell's ********, AKA Fresno.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:28 PM

I've never ran one with an XL. Personally they sword and board so well, you can effectively use half your mech to soak damage while the other half deals it out. I've seen SOME XL builds that look like they'd work, but I don't know. I play mine like super-large Centurions. Twist, shoot, twist, shoot. Lost an arm? Twist, shoot, twist, shoot. Lost that right torso? Twist, shoot, twist, etc.

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:11 PM

View PostBlue Boutique, on 07 December 2016 - 03:48 PM, said:

But if you don't, stop shooting me in the back at the start to bully me into another.

Then you should be very glad that you did not choose to pilot a Victor. ;)

#9 Blue Boutique

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:47 PM

Victor is my other ride where I get 1000 dmg games.

#10 Trollfeed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:51 PM

I like my Zeus too. Have found them to be surprisingly XL friendly due to structure quirks and big blocking arms. Big XL makes dodging damage easier and damage you take is spread easier too.

I run Zeus as side poker with gauss + 3 ERLL or fast skirmisher with AC10, few large lasers and SRM fist. For some reason I didn't like pure laser vomit with it. My advise for anyone wanting to master them to is go ahead and get ZEU-6S, ZEU-9S and ZEU-9S2.

ZEU-6S is excellent sidepoker with gauss and er larges, ZEU-9S is a laservomit zombie with std engine and ZEU-9S2 is surprisingly good brawler due to its clustered srm fist and missile cooldown and velocity quirks.

Edited by Trollfeed, 07 December 2016 - 05:52 PM.

#11 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:57 PM

I used to love the 9S back when I played FW invasion games. Stock engine, 3xERLL in torso CT/LT, 3xML in LA, all the heat sinks. It really made good use of that RA/RT shield.

#12 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:03 PM

I've never piloted a Zeus before, but I've been tempted several times just to run it to freak out people with trypophobia by running full LRMs on those arms. I mean, seriously, that thing is nasty for anyone with that phobia.

Posted Image

#13 Trollfeed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:14 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 07 December 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

I've never piloted a Zeus before, but I've been tempted several times just to run it to freak out people with trypophobia by running full LRMs on those arms. I mean, seriously, that thing is nasty for anyone with that phobia.

Posted Image

Then get one and start slinging those bees! (ZEU-6T has +10% missile velocity, +15% missile cooldown, -10% missile heat generation and that scary arm.)

#14 Blue Boutique

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:57 PM

View PostMole, on 07 December 2016 - 04:00 PM, said:

While we're on this subject, this has gotten me playing with Zeuses in Smurphy's mechlab trying to come up with one I think I'll like. Can an experienced Zeus pilot tell me how well they run XLs? Or should I abandon any build that calls for an XL in a Zeus?

I run my 6s with a 385 xl, with 3 srm4, 3 mold and a erppc. Fast, tanky and hard to kill with torso twisting.

#15 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:16 PM

I like the zues. Decent 80 ton lrm or splat fist combined with some decent back up weapon hardpoints for brawling or when you have no more lrms.

#16 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:15 PM

View PostMole, on 07 December 2016 - 04:00 PM, said:

It rocks an XL pretty well, though if you aren't running at least a 350XL you are probably better off with a standard engine.

Posted Image

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cdb14f5fa2e234a

#17 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:53 PM

I like the Zeus, but they always shoot my SRM paw off first. It's a big target and high threat part of the Zeus, but fun to brawl with.

#18 Duke Nedo

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:30 PM

View PostBlue Boutique, on 07 December 2016 - 03:48 PM, said:

Buy decal letters, write "KODIAK" with big letters on your back, problem solved.

#19 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:10 AM

Whenever I tell people my favorite Zeus build is an XL brawler they laugh at me, but that thing recks people's faces. Highest win and k/d ratio across all my Zeus variants by far, and it's actually something I'd still consider taking out today as a viable mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users