First Mech...and I Fail At Pugs.

21 replies to this topic

#1 Ximenett

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 31 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Catalonia

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:50 PM

First of all,i have a bad computer (i3,4 gb of ram and intel hd graphics) but some time ago i was playing MWO with other accounts.

On those accounts i had mechs that kills normally from 2 to 4 mechs in a PUG.

Normally,but i don't know what happen now,that i can't do 300 damage in a PUG.

I have the same mech on a lost account with same weaponery. I have a Stalker 5M with 4 SRM 6 and about 1200 misiles on the mech.

With that mech on an older and lost account,i beated 7 mechs and do about 950 of damage.

I died on the match,but that's my record on this game,7 destroyed mechs. But now,i only can destroy 1 mech and with luck.

Maybe i have lost skills on this game since i was playing Planetside 2 the time i'm out of MWO.

So,tell me,it's me or lastly MWO have better pilots or better mechs???? Or maybe i fail a lot???

Or maybe the SRMs are not what was??? Or maybe...i don't know.

I return to the game with the idea of invest the 25 first matches's cbills on the Stalker 5M,but seems that there are better mechs on the horizon.

The last time i was playing MWO,Piranha games launches the Kodiak only for subscribers.

Now the game have Kodiak,Cyclops,Night Gyr,Phoenix Hawk,Viper,Huntsman,Rifleman,Archer,Warhammer,Linebacker and Bushwacker on the horizon as the new mechs on the battlefield.

I just i can't beat Kodiaks or Dire Wolves on frontal attacks. Inclusive of the rain of missiles i drop to them and still have armor left.

I don't know what happen now,but with the Stalker i feel like playing a heavy mech,but running slower -.-

P D: Here is my loadout: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2bbc863aa3a7c86

Edited by Ximenett, 08 December 2016 - 12:54 PM.

#2 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:55 PM

Not sure how often you used to get 7 kill games but using a slow, lumbering mech with a 270m range limited weapon loadout seems counter-intuitive.

Not sure if you have realized it but most maps in Quick Play are now pretty open which requires a fair amount of quick maneuvering to get close to the enemy or a lot of patience.

Edited by p4r4g0n, 08 December 2016 - 01:59 PM.

#3 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:59 PM

Four SRM6's isn't enough firepower for an assault. Stalkers are still okay but you want to run them with large lasers or PPC's and fight at range. Use the arms for the highmounts and stick to cover. As you've seen you'll lose in a straight up 1v1 to many assaults.

These two are good examples.
STK-5M
STK-5M

Edited by Roughneck45, 08 December 2016 - 01:59 PM.

#4 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:07 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 08 December 2016 - 01:59 PM, said:

Four SRM6's isn't enough firepower for an assault. Stalkers are still okay but you want to run them with large lasers or PPC's and fight at range. Use the arms for the highmounts and stick to cover. As you've seen you'll lose in a straight up 1v1 to many assaults.

These two are good examples.
STK-5M
STK-5M

Your first build would be better optimized by dropping to a STD300, adding a DHS and maxing armor.

@OP, if you want to SRM brawl, you'll have to be very clever and find your spots. But try something more like this.

#5 Evilwallofdeath

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:57 PM

Stalkers can be difficult beasts to master. But, if you're going to run short range missiles, I suggest a very big engine. One of the main reasons aside from speed, is increased torso twist which helps you react to threats like Jennars with 6MPLs trying to melt your backside off. The stalker that has some laser slots in the CT is nice too, cause people like to target the massive side torsos. Knowing what people like to shoot at on your chassis can help you out massively in your tactics and builds as well. People expect XL engines in Dragons, People always shoot the hunch in IS hunchbacks. Just pay attention to how you're dying, and adjust builds and tactics accordingly.

#6 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:54 PM

failing at pugs is a grand tradition that dates back to the invention of arcades and coin-op.

#7 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:40 PM

Nobody has mentioned that you have way too much ammo in that thing and ferro instead of endo (endo is better, ferro is a second upgrade that you get if you really need just a little more tonnage and have a lot of free space)

Try not to attack Kodiaks, Dire Wolves, or other big assaults frontally, especially if you have to walk a lot way to them. Try to ambush them by getting to their sides or attack with a group.

I'd suggest trying out Roughneck45's and Terciel's builds just watch out for the ghost heat on some of them and fire in groups accordingly. SRM6 has a limit of 4 you can fire at once without a problem, I'd split the SRMs into a torso and arm group to fire with a half second delay between. Large lasers are limited to 3 at a time, large pulse is linked to normal larges. I'd suggest the PPC+LPL build over the full laser one.

#8 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:50 PM

You could try something like this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7f095afaf740996 It looks hot as hell, but you can't really argue with an 86.6 alpha. I'm not really a Stalker pilot though, and I don't own a 5M, so others may have better builds than anything I can suggest.

#9 Ximenett

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 31 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Catalonia

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:38 PM

View Postp4r4g0n, on 08 December 2016 - 01:55 PM, said:

Not sure how often you used to get 7 kill games but using a slow, lumbering mech with a 270m range limited weapon loadout seems counter-intuitive.

Not sure if you have realized it but most maps in Quick Play are now pretty open which requires a fair amount of quick maneuvering to get close to the enemy or a lot of patience.

With luck and teamwork.

Edited by Ximenett, 08 December 2016 - 11:40 PM.

#10 Sparrow1250

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:12 PM

Here is my setup on the M5 I chain fire the 4 LRM 5s and the 3 ERLL work pretty good for me.
I'm not going to try and brawl with the 5M (I use the Misery for that) but I have enough direct fire weapons to hold up my end of the fight.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...27eb2c39bde2c51

Also in my experience, if you are using a potato PC. LRMs and lasers work better then SRMS, PPCs and ballistics.

Edited by Sparrow1250, 09 December 2016 - 12:34 PM.

#11 Buehgler

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:38 PM

There are a lot of ways to significantly improve the performance of your build and as a result your effectiveness. Most importantly, you really want to remove the fero-fibrous upgrade and add end-steel in it's place. It will free more tonnage at the cost of the same number of slots. Reduce your SRM (and AMS) ammo -- most players find that ~100 shots of ammo (e.g. 1 ton) for every 4 SRM tubes works well. That is to say that you should plan on firing each of your SRMs ~20-25 times in a match. Your build has enough for 50 shots. Finally, with the free tonnage and slots you will have, add some lasers. At least try 4 ML (or MPL) in the arms, but with a bit of care you can also have a LPL in the torso. My build for this type of role would be more along these lines STK-5M.

Best of luck, and do not hesitate to try different load-outs/roles/styles.

Edited by Buehgler, 09 December 2016 - 09:17 PM.

#12 Nerd Incognito

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 59 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:19 PM

Yeah. There's definitely lots of options. This is how I run mine. It's painfully slow, but I had a 280 lying around, so that's what I used. STAY WITH THE GROUP--at least, as best you can. If possible, stand next to a Kodiak and let them shoot at him. Then crush them with a volley of 30 SRMs...Be sparing with the medium lasers, as they will run you hot. Wiggle your nose rather than a full torso twist. If/when you run out of missiles, you still have a respectable laser vomit to fall back on.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

I think Buehgler made a slight error in his sugestion on ammo quantity, I think he ment 100 shots/1 ton per 4 tubes rather than 100 tons.
I strongly dislike the Stalker, it is way too slow and sluggish for me even with max engine.
I agree with the advice that 4 SRM6 is not enough, the 35 ton Jenner IIC can take 6 SRM6 (albeit with compromizes in armor and/or speed) if you can be outgunned by 50% by a Mech less than half your weight you need to rethink your loadout,
the idea of lasers for 1 range bracket and missiles for another can work well, there are people who argue that you should only carry weapons for a single range bracket, and if you are part of a premade group with each Mech having its job they are right, however  in a solo queue drop there is a real chance 1 or more roles could be missing. Single range Mechs tend to have trouble if a fast Mech with a diferant range bracket targets them.

#14 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:03 PM

Simply put: The game has changed a lot since then. You will need to adapt to the new maps, new mechs, and new tactics. The Death-barrel Stalker (all SRM6s) configuration is functional on literally 1 map, maybe 2 now, for example.

#15 Cold Darkness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:33 PM

sounds to me like someone went from tier 5 to tier 4.

#16 Buehgler

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:18 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 09 December 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

I think Buehgler made a slight error in his sugestion on ammo quantity, I think he ment 100 shots/1 ton per 4 tubes rather than 100 tons.

Tons - shots... Minor details :)
Indeed, I did mean 100 shots/1 ton per 4 tubes!

#17 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:18 PM

Its pretty stupid to use a STK-5M for anything other than guided missiles. Its quirks are all bent towards missile weapons, especially long range missiles. Remember you get a 15% missile range boost, the most of any mech in the game OTHER than the Huggin. That gives LRMs a natural 1150m range and can be boosted to 1250 with a module. There's also a velocity boost quirk and a cool down quirk. You could run streaks also but I don't feel the natural 311m range spectacular enough for a mech with such poor agility due to its low engine cap. Better to build it with five racks of LRM5 or 10 launchers and chain them off, and some medium or medium pulse lasers for backup when the ammo exhausts. With the mech's quirks and 5x5LRM setup including the range and cooldown modules, I have actually shot through 13 tons of LRMs more than a couple times in the past day.

#18 Ximenetti

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:06 AM

Here is the proof that i destroy around 2-4 mechs on a match:

Posted Image

It's a different account,with a Mad Dog C,but it's from today. I don't know why with the Stalker i can't do that work :(

#19 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:53 PM

SRMs don't really work on slow and big thing like Stalker, I don't know if they have previously worked. As secondary weapons they can be ok but not as primary.

#20 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:59 PM

I3? Absolute luxury. I'm still using an Athlon 64 x2 dual core 5600 supported by a 1gb graphics card.

24fps on a 260 ping is a good day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users