- - - - -

Help With Heavy Mech'ing And Assault Meching!

6 replies to this topic

#1 Rooster68

Rookie

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:53 PM

Hey guys,

So I've bounced off of mwo a couple times now, but I think I've been hooked for good this time around. I started the game in clan mechs (timberwolves, dire wolves) and would just get worked. The last few weeks I started dropping in light mechs and my performance has improved by several orders of magnitude. I am in tier 3, I have a positive k/d ratio, and I usually snag about 2 or 3 solo kills and 450-600 damage in pugs.

I'm trying to get back into heavies and am running into a wall. I poked the nose of my tbr over a hill and what felt like almost immediately saw the game over screen. I don't know what it is - I am just terrible in these things! Has anyone else had this problem (do okay in lights, suck *** in anything bigger than 30 tons)??

Any suggestions on improvement?

#2 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:18 PM

Do you have radar deprevation module installed?

Lights are very mobile mechs, and can easilly relocate once spotted.

Heavier mechs are easier to track, while you might think your being stealthy, your opponents are probably fully aware of your position, and waiting for you to pop out of cover so they can rain death upon you.

#3 Rooster68

Rookie

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:36 PM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 08 December 2016 - 01:18 PM, said:

Do you have radar deprevation module installed?

Lights are very mobile mechs, and can easilly relocate once spotted.

Heavier mechs are easier to track, while you might think your being stealthy, your opponents are probably fully aware of your position, and waiting for you to pop out of cover so they can rain death upon you.

I don't... I don't really have any modules yet. I'll work towards radar dep immediately!

#4 GenghisJr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:55 PM

View PostRooster68, on 08 December 2016 - 12:53 PM, said:

Hey guys,

So I've bounced off of mwo a couple times now, but I think I've been hooked for good this time around. I started the game in clan mechs (timberwolves, dire wolves) and would just get worked. The last few weeks I started dropping in light mechs and my performance has improved by several orders of magnitude. I am in tier 3, I have a positive k/d ratio, and I usually snag about 2 or 3 solo kills and 450-600 damage in pugs.

I'm trying to get back into heavies and am running into a wall. I poked the nose of my tbr over a hill and what felt like almost immediately saw the game over screen. I don't know what it is - I am just terrible in these things! Has anyone else had this problem (do okay in lights, suck *** in anything bigger than 30 tons)??

You are likely playing heavier mechs the same as faster ones and are making the mistake of assuming you can get away...you cant. Pick your fights, lights can get by on opportunity attacks and then escape, in a heavier mech
you can fight but you cant...

#5 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:28 PM

The classes play differently

Light mech: Meets 5 enemy mechs alone

Outcome: Spam R key, Zig zag like mad and run away (Your fast, small, HSR aint perfect) , good chance you 'll escape.

Heavy Mech: Meets 5 enemy mechs alone

Outcome: Focus fired and dead in under 1 to 5 seconds. Your dead cause your out of position away from your team mates, No chance to escape (Your much bigger, slower, HSR aint perfect but still pretty good)

Options: Press R or Spam fire button or launch UAV, Can only choose one cause you gonna die fast.

Best quick advice I can give is:
Stick with the team
Move with the team
Shoot what the team shoots

Avoid being alone, being the only target makes it very easy to get focus fired on.

#6 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:58 PM

I've written a few things. Hope they help

~Leone

#7 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:24 AM

View PostRooster68, on 08 December 2016 - 12:53 PM, said:

Hey guys,

Besides from what the others said....MWO has become much more aggressive atm.
The preference of ppl has shifted to high dps medrange AC builds, Gauss+PPC frontload builds and due to the higher frequencie of lockons (shorter range---> more triangles to see---> higher lockon time) there is also more LRMing.
Also spreadfire weapons like LB-X and SRM see increased ammounts of usage on cost of the laser meta.

Due to the high dps/high frontload meta medium mechs with their invidious combination of large frontal surfaces and low armor need to stay even more out of harms way than before.

The alpha config of the Timber in QP was mostly laservomit...and well there are lots of situations now where this just does not work anymore. (or at least not to that degree anymore) Additionally the Timber has still a very serious priority target profile in the heads of many ppl.
Sadly there are MUCH more dangerous mechs out there now.

Assaults ... well to drive the hyperbole a bit...if you're not a Kodiak you suck.

Edited by The Basilisk, 09 December 2016 - 01:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users