Making Arms More Useful

9 replies to this topic

#1 Cold Darkness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 290 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:51 PM

a way to increase the usefulness of arms would be to decrease the maximum torso pitch by a few degrees.
this would give smaller mechs new very close range fighting options vs bigger mechs, as well as promoting low slung arm weapons to counter that exact thing.
for the general gameplay, the hillpoking would still work with the torso mounts, but as soon as bigger elevation changes come into play, like viridian bog offers them, the arm weapons will give you options to engange effectively on shorter ranges, where torso mounted weapons will be unable to fight back. torso weapons would need to fight from a longer range in that scenario to be able to shoot the enemy, while the enemy would need to expose more of his mech because of the usually lower arm mounts.

overall this is a very simple solution to bring arm mounted weapon value closer to the level of high torso mounted weapons.

id really like to see this being tested in one of the future PTR builds with different values for maximum torso pitch degrees.

#2 Core310

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIn a jenner

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:22 PM

To me LRM boats aren't much a problem with fast mechs. With heavies and assaults you have enough armor to keep you out for around 3-5 volleys. Also there are 2 skills that can improve your AMS. Could be a new weapon that is like ams but is more useful

#3 Cold Darkness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 03:02 AM

you know, before you post about AMS because you ASSUMED that i had a typo in the thread-title, you should propably read the thread so you can notice that ARMS was NOT a typo. this thread has virtually nothing to do with AMS or LRMs.

#4 Cold Darkness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 290 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:08 AM

bump for good measure. no comments on this from you people?

#5 Tombstoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:01 PM

arms are useful as is. I'm not sure what more can be done with them

Edited by Tombstoner, 10 December 2016 - 12:04 PM.

#6 Cold Darkness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 290 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:42 PM

View PostTombstoner, on 10 December 2016 - 12:01 PM, said:

arms are useful as is. I'm not sure what more can be done with them

like i wrote, i do not think that arms not useful enough, i am thinking that the base amount of possible torsopitch is to big, which makes arms worse in alot of cases where they should actually be the superior choice. and since designing more maps with extreme elevation differences (like viridian bog) would be a solution that is way out of proportion, decreasing the torsopitch would naturally increase the value of arm-hardpoints for much less effort.

Edited by Cold Darkness, 10 December 2016 - 01:43 PM.

#7 Tombstoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:20 PM

View PostCold Darkness, on 10 December 2016 - 01:42 PM, said:

like i wrote, i do not think that arms not useful enough, i am thinking that the base amount of possible torsopitch is to big, which makes arms worse in alot of cases where they should actually be the superior choice. and since designing more maps with extreme elevation differences (like viridian bog) would be a solution that is way out of proportion, decreasing the torsopitch would naturally increase the value of arm-hardpoints for much less effort.

if torso turn rate was normalized and lowered across all mechs then arms become the best way to shift targeting. However this would require rebuilding the game to correctly model the impact mech size, speed and magically accurate pinpoint precision has on mech durability

#8 Cold Darkness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 290 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:44 PM

like i wrote before in this very thread: i am refering not to turn/twist speed or torso yaw angle. im strictly speaking of lowering the MAXIMUM TORSO PITCH ANGLE in both directions - up and down. vertical, not horizontal.

Edited by Cold Darkness, 10 December 2016 - 04:44 PM.

#9 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:11 PM

I'd rather see a system where weapons mounted on the arms of a battlemech are the only ones who can converge.( as in left with right arm and not the weapons on a given arm with eachother ) Everything else fires in parallel lines. Instant increase in Time-to-kill in most cases. That would make weapon carrying arms, fully actuated or not at least as valuable as high mounted shoulder mounts. ( and make mechs like the Nova and Gargoyle alot more interesting than they currently are )

#10 Cold Darkness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:41 PM

my suggestion is simply the easiest thing i could think of to make arm-based weapons stronger. and i think pgi wont fiddle with convergence mechanics again anytime soon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users