16 replies to this topic

#1 CK16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:58 AM

This is a general discussion for us warriors who tasted battle in the Civil War era (in either MW4, TT, books ect).Some of us may be younger, some grizzled vets of past campaigns. But for those who relate to this era, in here let us relate and discuss!

Favorite battle(s)?
Favorite mech(s)?
Favorite Character(s)?
Who's side did you choose (Victor or Katrina)
Ect.
What is iconic to you in this era?

-will write my answers here later-

Edited by CK16, 09 December 2016 - 11:01 AM.

#2 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:25 AM

Posted Image

Anyway...

Favorite battle(s)?
Probably the space battle over New Avalon, where a Davion loyal warship abuses their jump drive to tear the enemy, and themselves, apart.

Favorite mech(s)?
Anything with a RAC.

Favorite Character(s)?
Victor Steiner-Davion. I know... Gary Sue and all that. I like'em anyway.

Victor, of course. I'm Pro-Not-The-Crazy-*****.

Edited by Bombast, 09 December 2016 - 11:27 AM.

#3 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:39 AM

Favorite battle(s)?
Kathil, Flashpoint had some great line battle writing

Favorite mech(s)?
Big ones, stompy ones, Devastator, Cerberus, Salamander-y ones.

Favorite Character(s)?
Idk, Peter Steiner

Yvonne, cuz Victor should have fought for his spacepepels instead of destroying my CSJ :*(

From the book lines; the confusion-whole units being dropped in areas unexpected/lost/destroyed but thankfully with a lot more depth to it than when the jihad happened. The chaos of war against brother.

#4 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:40 AM

I played MW4 and MW2

played some book case games like Starfleet Battles, squad leader, tactical air war

#5 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:42 PM

[Redacted]
Oh, wrong civil war.

Edited by draiocht, 09 December 2016 - 10:18 PM.
off-topic

#6 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:24 PM

Favorite battle(s)?
Tharkad
Repelling the Falcons

Favorite mech(s)?
Bushwacker
Fafnir

Favorite Character(s)?
Adam Steiner. He was no friend of Victor, but in the end he realized Katherine could not be supported.

Who's side did you choose (Victor or Katherine)
Neither. I was neutral until Peter Steiner-Davion announced his claim to the throne. People sometimes forget that the FCCW was not a simple Steiner vs Davion-war; frontlines were a lot more complicated. It was not even a conflict of Victor vs Katherine because many factions tried staying out of it, or simply pursued their own goals. And when the dust settled neither Victor nor Katherine had many supporters left in the Lyran Alliance. Morgan Kell realized this before the war came to an end, hence his support for Peter.

#7 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:35 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 09 December 2016 - 05:24 PM, said:

And when the dust settled neither Victor nor Katherine had many supporters left in the Lyran Alliance. Morgan Kell realized this before the war came to an end, hence his support for Peter.

I always read it as Kell not having the time to wait for Victor to finish up his work on the FedSun half of the campaign, and knowing that Yvonne had no chance in hell in keeping both sides together once she was installed. It's been a while since I read the novels in question, but wasn't Kell one of the few that knew Victor had no intention of staying in power?

#8 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:43 PM

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 09 December 2016 - 10:16 PM.
off-topic

#9 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:13 PM

View PostBombast, on 09 December 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

I always read it as Kell not having the time to wait for Victor to finish up his work on the FedSun half of the campaign, and knowing that Yvonne had no chance in hell in keeping both sides together once she was installed. It's been a while since I read the novels in question, but wasn't Kell one of the few that knew Victor had no intention of staying in power?

MW4 mercs had Victor state he wasn't seeking power and I believe I read something similar in the books...

#10 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:15 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 09 December 2016 - 06:13 PM, said:

MW4 mercs had Victor state he wasn't seeking power and I believe I read something similar in the books...

Yah. I know Victor was planning to ditch the whole time, but I can't remember who knew that was the plan. Not very many.

#11 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:21 PM

View PostBombast, on 09 December 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

I don't think the novels ever stated when Morgan was informed about Victor's long term plans. It certainly played into it. However, Morgan explicitly said he did not come to Peter in order to support Victor; Morgan himself could have conquered Tharkad in the name of Victor just as well anyway – Peter had no military assets at his disposal – and install Peter later on (much like Yvonne on New Avalon). But that is not what happened.

It was important to come in the name of Archon Peter, and not in the name of Victor. I think that makes sense considering the large number of Lyran units who refused to support Katherine but would not side with Victor either (most notably those under the command of Adam Steiner in the Melissia Theatre).

#12 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:28 PM

View PostCK16, on 09 December 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

Favorite battle(s)?

Too many to count. Battle of Hesperus II where Lori Calmar as well as many of the Gray Death Legion died, comes to mind. Showed us that even legends die in battle.

Favorite mech(s)?

Templar. Devastator. I'm an Assault buff.

Favorite Character(s)?

Tancred Sandoval. It takes a real man to stand up against his father and liege lord for his convictions, and then to make peace with his opponent (Theodore Kurita) by ceding his own worlds, for the greater good of supporting his friend.

Victor. Katrina got on to my **** list as soon as she killed Melissa Steiner-Davion.

Templar. Armored infantry warfare (previously the IS didn't use them much). And yes, the whole "former friends now mortal enemies" thing, though us Free Worlders are already experts on it.

Edited by El Bandito, 09 December 2016 - 07:35 PM.

#13 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:07 PM

[mod]This thread has been moved to
BattleTech® Discussion.[/mod]

#14 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:13 AM

Favorite battle(s)?
Battle For Skye
there isn't much to find in the novels but the short passage were the Skye Jaeger mauled the 15th Dieron on Ko.
but during the Skye Revolt two RCTs made it to Skye and the Jaegers made there stand

Favorite mech(s)?
BARGHEST, ZEUS

Favorite Character(s)?
Col. Steve Pitcher

neither - should they rot in hell
FREE SKYE

#15 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:03 PM

Now that we have the FCCW-update it might be worth reactivating this thread. Posted Image

Unfortunately it looks like MWO is trying to force a Steiner vs Davion scenario, which is obviously nonsense as Katherine and Victor are both Steiner-Davions. There were Davion-units on both sides just like there were Steiner-units on both sides.

I think the Davions have it a tiny bit easier because being pro-Victor and anti-Katherine (and vice-versa) was often one and the same. So you could declare yourself for Victor and sport that Davion-avatar in good conscience, even if that is an oversimplication.
The Lyran situation was a bigger mess. Some tried to stay out of it, some openly disobeyed Katherine's orders but would not support Victor (like Adam Steiner), Free Skye rebelled again, and Caesar Steiner just declared a ceasefire between allies and loyalists to crush Free Skye together. And then comes Peter... If I sport a Steiner-avatar, am I declaring for Victor, Katherine, Adam, Caesar or Peter?

Symbols can have more than one meaning. My favourite example is the issue of the old AFFC-uniforms. If you are wearing one of them in a traditional Steiner-unit, it means you oppose Katherine. If you are wearing one of them in a traditional Davion-unit, it means you support Katherine.

Civil Wars are a mess... Posted Image

Edited by FLG 01, 08 April 2017 - 09:04 PM.

#16 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:26 PM

Favorite battle:

Marshal failure herself Sharon Bryan getting her inept *** handed to her by the Jade Falcons on Melissia. She had been warned by Adam Steiner, who had personally fought the Falcons, that they would never fall to her so-called "defense plan", she proceeds to scoff at and ignore him like she knows better, and just as Adam predicted, the Falcons bypass her static defenses, and is promptly killed in her own bunker by an Elemental headhunter squad in the first exchange. All she succeeded in doing was getting her own forces decimated.

Favorite Character:

Felix Blucher - This guy was the kind of patriot the Lyrans need more of, and he was treated like **** by his own archon and superiors because he had failed to kill Archer Christifori when he began his vendetta against Katrina, He risked his career and defied orders to reinforce Melissia, and was part of the reason why anyone escaped that bloodbath alive. Despite all this, He was willing to fight alongside the aforementioned Christifori in Operation Audacity, and held no hatred towards the man despite everything that happened between them. eventually replaces some sycophant colonel as Adam Steiner's right hand man in the Melissia theatre.

Favorite mech:

Templar

Faction:

Since I couldn't be a Jade Falcon, I went with Victor, because there was no way in hell I was going to support that she-devil.

Iconic:

It's the end of an era, Victor chooses to renounce his throne and has no regrets about it. The Federated Commonwealth is no more. I also have to agree with Phelan that the thought of Katherine having to suffer clan warrior training to be useful to Vlad is highly amusing.

#17 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

View PostBombast, on 09 December 2016 - 11:25 AM, said:

Favorite Character(s)?
Victor Steiner-Davion. I know... Gary Sue and all that. I like'em anyway.

Gary Sue? Not by a long shot. See "Alaric Wolf".

Favorite battle(s)?
Tharkad, I love killing old ladies.

Favorite mech(s)?
Templar and Fafnir

Favorite Character(s)?
Peter and Victor.

Definitely Victor.

It's got nice new pretty toys to play with. It also represents the end of the Inner Sphere as we know it before the Jihad.

Edited by Kiran Yagami, 26 April 2017 - 11:49 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users