1 reply to this topic

#1 Xozia

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:16 AM

Since the movement from 24 hour engagements in CW to 8 hour attack phases, I've felt like the battle for the Inner Sphere has moved too quickly. I understand that the purpose was to provide each time zone region with more evenly distributed influence across the globe, but I believe there is another, better option that will also decrease the time to take a planet and add depth and feel to FP.

This is updated from my original ideas in light of the new information about FP Phase 4.1.

To help illustrate my concepts, we'll pick two factions, one within IS and one from the Clans. Clan Smoke Jaguar has elected to attack a planet in Kurita space.

I would like to see the planet divided into 3 main regions. As the Clans attack we enter the first region, divided into 2 subregions. The beginning of the attack would be the invasion (subregion 1) and each drop would be invasion gamemode with e Clans as the attackers. Once the Clans have taken 8 of the 15 sections in region 1 we move to subregion 2, counter attack gamemode, in which the IS forces have one last chance to push back the invasion force. If the Clans maintain their hold of 8 or more sections in region 1 at the end of the 8 hour attack phase then we move to region 2 (if not the the planet was not successfully invaded and the Clans will have to try again or on a different planet during the next attack phase), we'll assume the Clans succeeded. Said planet is now locked and Clan Smoke Jaguar has no vote for the following attack phase.

Next 8 hour attack phase begins, as does the battle for planetary control. We move to the second region that is not divided, and we move to the quick-play maps. The Clans begin with 0 of the 21 sections for this region and have to fight their way through to capture at least 11 before the end of the attack phase to win the region. The Clans fail and only end with 9/21 sections and we movee into our next attack phase.

The third 8 hour attack phase begins and the Clans own 100% of the 15 sections in region 1, the IS must fight through counter attack game mode to push the invasion force off the planet. IS succeeds in taking 8 sections and the Clans move back to attacking in invasion mode until they can gain the advantage, but in the 2 hours left in the attack phase the Clans successfully redouble their efforts and come away with 12/15. We end our attack phase and the planet is still locked as we move back to region 2.

Attack phase 4, region 2 is being dominated by the Clans, starting with 0 sections, they have fought hard and taken 13 of the 21 sections as the attack phase ends and Smoke Jaguar wins region 2. As we close out this attack phase Smoke Jaguar now has majority on planet, but cannot open a new attack lane until they have eliminated all enemy forces remaining on the planet.

On to attack phase 5, 32 hours have passed since the beginning of the invasion on this planet and the tug-of-war continues where what happens in each time zone still means something. Will the Inner Sphere continue the bloody struggle to take back their planet or will they concede it to the Clans in favor of the defense or attack on another planet? The Kuritans don't care what the rest of the IS does, they will defend their planet. Beginning with 100% of region 3 on their now occupied planet they need only hold their ground through the counter attack gamemode until the next attack phase in order to return to region 2. Through many hard fought battles, the Clans manage to take majority in region 3 and we move to invasion gamemode, this time with the IS on the offensive. Unfortunately for Kurita, the clans wipe them out moving into the second subregion within region 3 and at the end of the attack phase, Kurita has lost a planet. After 40 hours, Clan Smoke Jaguar can now select a new planet to attack.

In a nutshell, divide the planet into 3 regions, invasion, planetary control, and last stand. Each region can be contested during an 8 hour attack phase but will also provide a tug-of-war where the conflict can actually last for days if it has to, but still feeling like a valuable fight. (Remembering the week(s?) long battle over Wazan against Davion from CW beta 1.) This still gives each time zone region a legitimate influence over the tide of battle but slows down the taking of planets to a more reasonable pace. On a side note, I haven't thought of exactly what to do with scouting gamemode, I don't really like it myslf, but I don't believe it would be difficult to include in this design if needed.

Along with this, it would be a nice addition to create a "defend the dropship" gamemode for the second subregion of region 3 to make it feel like a retreat instead of an attack at that point. Also a new planetfall gamemode to take the first subregion of region one, moving the invasion gamemode to the second subregion. Potentially as well a different kind of defense for the first subregion of region 3 would also be nice, but I understand that this is a lot to ask for.
The other thing that I would much appreciate for a variety of regions, and I believe it would provide more incentive to choose planets carefully, would be to have planetary biomes and have the maps for that planet fit within those parameters. For example, a Hoth-like planet would be restricted to Boreal Vault, Polar Highlands, Frozen City and Alpine Peaks, while a Keshyyk-like forest planet would be Emerald Taiga, Forest Colony, maybe Veridian Bog, stuff like that. We would be able to outfit our 'Mechs for the biome as we enter the battlefield on a specific planet. Additionally, certain planet might end up favoring IS or Clan, giving both incentive to choose certain planets over others.

Those are my two cents, feedback would be appreciated. Perhaps I, or others, could improve upon this concept, but I believe it would add a whole lot to Faction Play and make it a lot more interesting.

Edited by Xozia, 10 December 2016 - 04:36 AM.

#2 Xozia

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:37 AM

I suppose I should have read the patch notes first, even so, I believe this is a viaple option, though I would have to spend some time to think about how to modify my concept with the information in the patch notes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users